DHS Sorcerer's Hat to be removed

I made my point the first time I posted. There has never been a Hollywood Studios without the iconic hat.

Was there an MGM yes. But MGM is no more.

Yes it's sad that something that was ALWAYS a part of THIS park is going away.

I'm sure the people who loved Toad's missed it, too. As I miss Snow White and will miss the hat.

I always felt calling it 'bah' was crass. So at least *that* acronym can die a miserable death.

It's the same park. A rose by any other name and all...

I made my point the first time I posted. There has never been a Hollywood Studios without the iconic hat.

I'm sure the people who loved Toad's missed it, too. As I miss Snow White and will miss the hat.

I always felt calling it 'bah' was crass. So at least *that* acronym can die a miserable death.

Semantics due to a sponsorship contract ending.

EPCOT was EPCOT center originally
Tts Peoplemover was formerly the WedWay Peoplemover

Name changes do not a different park/attraction make.

The Studios is still the Studios. It just changed to a sponsor neutral descriptor.
There will now be a "Hollywood" Studios without a hat returning the studios to its former entry glory. At least temporarily.

The Hat debuted September 28, 2001....MGM was renamed Disney's Hollywood Studios in 2008....therefore The Hat was a part of MGM for MGM's final 7 years, and with DHS for it's first 6+ years.

I did not grow up getting to go to Disney. My first trip to MK was 1999 as a one day trip. My first time to the Studios was 2006 so the only thing I know is the hat. I will be sad to see it gone. Hope they re-purpose it somewhere eventually

Definitely going into storage during the current removal. It will return to the Studios as part of the expansion. Current thinking has it going into a location that does not presently exist.

I think all likely hood is it will end up buried somewhere on property like the mirror from the 50 years of magic celebration (for disneyland's 50th) the wand from EPCOT, and many other things no longer in the parks like the subs from 20,00 leagues etc.

Definitely going into storage during the current removal. It will return to the Studios as part of the expansion. Current thinking has it going into a location that does not presently exist.

Yeah, I'll believe that when I see it. That is what they said about Mickey and Minnie's houses in Toontown right up until they ran the bulldozers over them and totally demolished them. I still have nightmares about whether they did that without removing any of the interior contents at all. There were so many great things inside that could have been salvaged. I hope they at least got some of the objects on shelves behind glass in the front of Minnie's house out before the demolition.

We will miss the hat. I would like if you were right, but I won't hold my breath.

Yeah, I'll believe that when I see it. That is what they said about Mickey and Minnie's houses in Toontown right up until they ran the bulldozers over them and totally demolished them. I still have nightmares about whether they did that without removing any of the interior contents at all. There were so many great things inside that could have been salvaged. I hope they at least got some of the objects on shelves behind glass in the front of Minnie's house out before the demolition.

We will miss the hat. I would like if you were right, but I won't hold my breath.

What a great loss :hug: Poor Minnie and Mickey displaced and all their stuff bulldozed. I'm grateful we got to go a few times while my daughter was still young.

d1_38.jpg

Definitely don't hold your breath, as this will be part of Phase II, if not Phase III. You'd be holding your breath for at least three years.

Any idea when? I love the ride but a refurn is long overdue.
There hasn't been an announcement of any changes to the ride itself. At this point, the only known changes will be to the videos shown in the line and the finale montage, plus additional on-ride audio commentary. It's been speculated that the ride will be refurbed also, but that's just rumors right now.

Definitely don't hold your breath, as this will be part of Phase II, if not Phase III. You'd be holding your breath for at least three years.

:rotfl2::rotfl::rotfl2: Good one!

I also just remembered that back in 2010 they told us that Spectromagic was going on hiatus (definition: a pause or gap), and would return at some point. I think we probably heard that until the time they demolished all the floats they had let deteriorate too! I'm pretty sure "it will be placed somewhere else in the park eventually" or "it is just on hiatus "is Disney code for it will return in pieces in a trash can or dump site! I think they have the attitude of we don't want to upset our guests/customers by admitting we are smashing it to smithereens ! (Come to think of it, I'm still waiting for them to replace the Lights of Winter with the new and better Christmas decorations they promised when they admitted they were retiring those permanently!) I bet on the hat we will have a better idea soon because when pictures of the dismantling process surface, we will probably be able to see whether it is carefully being done in repairable pieces or totally destroyed. Of course, even if they take it down carefully and put it in storage, there is no guarantee it won't eventually wind up like Spectromagic. I will say that they did a beautiful job of revamping CA in California- while we do miss getting our pictures with the golden gate bridge a little, the remodel is gorgeous- hopefully we will see the same beautiful job at DHS.

I'm not sure why everyone's so worried about what will happen to the Hat after demo. They probably have top men working on it right now.

Top. Men.
TopMan.jpg

warehouse.jpg

I never saw anything stating Mickey and Minnies house was going to be moved (except for fan wishes). Everything I read said they were impossible to move because they were mostly constructed out of concrete.

Any idea when? I love the ride but a refurn is long overdue.

The Great Movie Ride will get a classic makeover.

Cable channel Turner Classic Movies announced Wednesday it will refurbish the ride at Disney's Hollywood Studios.

In the deal, TCM receives the rights to air classic Disney programming, including cartoons, documentaries and TV shows, such as Pollyanna, The Three Caballeros, The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad and special episodes from Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color.
The ride will receive a TCM-curated refresh of the pre-show and finale.

The update is set to launch by spring 2015. GMR is one of the first rides to open at the theme park, then called Disney-MGM Studios, back in 1989.
This is just the latest change at Disney's Hollywood Studios. Disney closed another original ride, the Studio Backlot Tour, back in September. Disney also plans to tear down the Sorcerer's Hat, which sits in front of the Great Movie Ride, next year.

Source

So does anyone know if the hat will still be in place Easter of this year (2015)???? I am heading there for the first time and would love to get a picture with the hat before it is gone!

I'd bet the hat is gone by next week. It doesn't take nearly as long to take it down as it does to construct it. Guessing the concrete work around the area will take longer than the actual dismantling of the hat.

BTW, I believe it was President Reagan who said, "Mr. Iger, tear down this hat!"

So does anyone know if the hat will still be in place Easter of this year (2015)???? I am heading there for the first time and would love to get a picture with the hat before it is gone!

No chance, it won't take three months for the hat to disappear.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter