DHS/Toy Story Land "Early Morning Magic" (EMM) FAQ & Discussion

I snatched tickets for our date in March when I was not able to get FP+ for SDD. So glad I did because our date is now sold out. I am concerned about a large crowd for the event - what does sold out mean? Any guesses on how many tickets are sold? The appeal of EMM is low crowds but now I’m concerned about a sold out crowd for the event...

Also, we will have our car so I was just considering driving ourselves, guessing we could leave the Poly around 6:45? I thought I read about construction at the HS entrance. Any one have insight into the parking/entrance situation?

Thanks in advance!
Most of these have been selling out lately I think, so the reviews you read here generally reflect sold out crowds. I don’t think they’ve publicly said what the max is for EMM, but it seems to be a few hundred people...nothing too huge. The bigger factor in getting lots done seems to be all the rides being operational (seems to have been better lately?) and having a good plan.

I’m not sure about the entrance situation, although I haven’t seen any reports of problems. The few people who have mentioned driving seem to have gotten in fine. We’re now staying offsite so we’ll be driving over on March 6! I’ll be happy to report back after.

We did the event on 1/23 and had a great time.

It was a little rough going for me because the night before I got very bad news from work and was on the phone with my boss and ended up waking up at 3:30am thinking about it and could not get back to sleep. 4 hours of sleep after a week of touring hard at Disney is pretty rough!

I booked a Lyft in advance for a 6:15-6:30 pickup the night before but ended up canceling it when I saw the bus was available at the Poly. We got on it at 6:11 I believe (enough time to cancel the Lyft since it hadn't been matched up) and I checked the app a few times - there were 3 buses that would have gotten us there in time for the event... we arrived about 6:20-something, there was another that arrived at 6:39 and then another when I checked later that would have gotten you there at 7:15 - later than most like but still doable. There was probably in between. Overall I would have to say that the need for alternate transportation if staying at a Disney resort is VASTLY overstated on this thread - we found the buses running consistently in the early morning both at VWL and at the Poly and I only took a Lyft once to AK for EMH because I was so unsure of the bus system and it seemed like we'd just missed one.

Anyway I was feeling pretty rough but we got there early, were near the front of the line, and they started letting people in at 6:49. We made our way to breakfast and I told my son we were going to be Hobbits today, with first breakfast and second breakfast. I think that was his favorite part of the whole event! He ate two bowls of cereal and a pile of pastries and I had a chocolate croissant and some of the honeyed yogurt with blueberries, strawberries mined from the fruit salad and some of the mixed nuts. It was a good way to start the day without eating too heavily and my kid spent a bit longer eating than I would have liked with seconds of everything for "first breakfast" but we ended up leaving breakfast and going into TSL around 7:20ish and people were in and things were up and running. SDD had a posted 10 minute wait and we went on it and were on the Woody and Jessie line by 7:33 and it took 13 minutes to get through the line that had formed (about 10-12 parties, it was hard to tell because parties are not always easily identifiable). By 7:46 we were done with the meet and greet and the line was about 3x as long for the remainder of the event. We did SDD 3 more times (total of 4), ASMx2 (kid actually enjoyed it) and TSM x2. We were NOT moving fast and that was all of the SDD I could take - we could have ridden it more but on 4 hours of sleep my stomach was not having it.

We rode TSM last and got on right before the RD crowds hit - got off of it at 9:05 and the line for SDD was clear down to the voyage of the little mermaid sign (I have a pic I can post later) and a 120 minute wait (it briefly said 140 minutes but went back to 120). It was insane!

We went straight to breakfast at that point having no real RD plans - it was the warmest day of the week and we were both toast (me in particular) so we planned to head back to enjoy the pool at the Poly. We got to breakfast around 9:15 and my stomach was still feeling off from the rides so I didn't eat that much really. I kind of wish we waited til later because by closer to 10 I was feeling fine and hungry, but a popcorn refill (that ended up being free because her register wouldn't open for change) did the trick.

The kid had chicken and donuts with no glaze and devoured the chicken and donuts. Neither of us liked the sweet potato tots. blech.

I got both the egg bowl and the shrimp and grits. The shrimp and grits were watery but tasty and I mined the 3 shrimp out of there with some grits with it and pitched the rest. The egg bowl was delicious and I wish I could have enjoyed more of it.

Afterward we went over to launch bay and my kid met BB-8 with a posted 20 minute wait but we were out and done in 8. We had a 10am ToT FP that we used and then we hit the road and spent the rest of the day at the pool where there was a dole whip swirl with coconut rum and tie dye tshirts made.

It is a great event - we had been to TSL the day before and it was packed wall to wall with people - even though we were able to manage seeing all 3 rides with the DAS pass for SDD and grabbing ASM last minute, I could not believe how crowded it was... so it was really nice to do the rides without tripping over people. It is a mellow vibe without the stressy people and screaming kids and people who are not experienced at operating scooters trying to operate them in wall to wall crowds... there were a few scooters of course, but with room to move there wasn't that stress vibe that you get in crowded situations.

The food was good and I like the opportunity to have a light breakfast before, ride, and then the real breakfast - next time I would just give my stomach a half hour to settle after SDD a few times in a row... but second breakfast was the thing my kid was looking forward to most so he wasn't going to be put off of it to do something else first (I wish we did launch bay first but he was agitating for food). He also ate 3.5 mickey bars and a load of popcorn at DAH MK so I guess he is in that bottomless pit stage.

I have photos of a bunch of stuff and will update when I get home... we are having a lazy morning after DAH MK so I wanted to just post an update while I still remembered times.

Last edited:
Most of these have been selling out lately I think, so the reviews you read here generally reflect sold out crowds. I don’t think they’ve publicly said what the max is for EMM, but it seems to be a few hundred people...nothing too huge. The bigger factor in getting lots done seems to be all the rides being operational (seems to have been better lately?) and having a good plan.

I’m not sure about the entrance situation, although I haven’t seen any reports of problems. The few people who have mentioned driving seem to have gotten in fine. We’re now staying offsite so we’ll be driving over on March 6! I’ll be happy to report back after.

Our date is March 4, so I’ll be just ahead of you!

Hey There, I am waiting on pins and needles for May dates to come up. I check before I am out of bed - should I be checking throughout the day too? Wondering if they are up at 6:00am or put up randomly. Honestly, the waiting is driving the planner in me crazy.
Thanks!

Hey There, I am waiting on pins and needles for May dates to come up. I check before I am out of bed - should I be checking throughout the day too? Wondering if they are up at 6:00am or put up randomly. Honestly, the waiting is driving the planner in me crazy.
Thanks!

It has historically been random. Sometimes first thing, sometimes on a random afternoon. These things don’t sell out right away so no need to stress too much.

I snatched tickets for our date in March when I was not able to get FP+ for SDD. So glad I did because our date is now sold out. I am concerned about a large crowd for the event - what does sold out mean? Any guesses on how many tickets are sold? The appeal of EMM is low crowds but now I’m concerned about a sold out crowd for the event...

Also, we will have our car so I was just considering driving ourselves, guessing we could leave the Poly around 6:45? I thought I read about construction at the HS entrance. Any one have insight into the parking/entrance situation?

Thanks in advance!
We drove there from AKL and had no problems. Took about 10 minutes to drive but there is a bit of a walk from the parking lot to the front of the park because you are parked on the left side and can only go in on the right side.

about what time did you meet woody and jesse and about how long was the wait?

Thanks for taking the time to report back!
Sorry took me so long to get back to you... We did Woody and Jesse right after getting off STM, at approx. 7:45. There was one family infront of us.

I'm almost positive I'm going to cancel EMM (2/21) and book DAH instead on our arrival day 2/16. With the DVC discount I can tolerate the price. I like the longer time frame and additional rides. EMM seems to be a little rushed. I already booked DAH-MK booked for 2/21 and will probably do the trifecta and add DAH-AK on 2/19. A small fortune for the 3 of us, but the thought of being able to soak so much more in of the overall WDW atmosphere during the day, knowing I'll get multiple rides at night in less crowded parks is personally worth it for me.

I'm almost positive I'm going to cancel EMM (2/21) and book DAH instead on our arrival day 2/16. With the DVC discount I can tolerate the price. I like the longer time frame and additional rides. EMM seems to be a little rushed. I already booked DAH-MK booked for 2/21 and will probably do the trifecta and add DAH-AK on 2/19. A small fortune for the 3 of us, but the thought of being able to soak so much more in of the overall WDW atmosphere during the day, knowing I'll get multiple rides at night in less crowded parks is personally worth it for me.
How does DAH work with the regular park people still in line at park close? That’s been my hold up with considering doing it.

We did EMM on 1/21. We arrived later than I would have liked and were walking into TSL right around 7:30. We hopped in line for Woody and Jessie and waited maybe 10 minutes to meet them. When we finished the line to meet them was easily double what we waited in. We rode SDD three times - we had an infant so we were swapping groups in between each ride. We had to take a potty break after that (yay toddlers) and then rode Midway Mania as rope drop crowds were coming in. We didn’t accomplish as much as most people here, but we still felt like it was 100% worth it!

I’m hoping they offer this when I go. I am torn though because I want to get an annual pass while I am there and would be able to save a lot of money if I wait to get tickets close to day of but I’m afraid they will sell out. There are 11 of us so I think I have to just get them no matter that it’s more expensive. The 11 includes my great nephew who will still be under 2 so I don’t think I have to pay for him so that will save some money. I just think the morning would be better than night for my great nephew and his sisters who are 5 and 7. I love reading about everyone’s experience

I’m hoping they offer this when I go. I am torn though because I want to get an annual pass while I am there and would be able to save a lot of money if I wait to get tickets close to day of but I’m afraid they will sell out. There are 11 of us so I think I have to just get them no matter that it’s more expensive. The 11 includes my great nephew who will still be under 2 so I don’t think I have to pay for him so that will save some money. I just think the morning would be better than night for my great nephew and his sisters who are 5 and 7. I love reading about everyone’s experience

Just FYI, there are no AP discounts for Early Morning Magic. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

Overall I would have to say that the need for alternate transportation if staying at a Disney resort is VASTLY overstated on this thread - we found the buses running consistently in the early morning

Thank you for mentioning this! I'd been wondering if renting a car was necessary after reading many people on this thread doing so. I had forgotten bus times are on the app now. Thank you for your review!

Has anyone been able to get last minute reservations for this event/breakfast? I am looking for last week of February for 4-6 people.

Thank you for mentioning this! I'd been wondering if renting a car was necessary after reading many people on this thread doing so. I had forgotten bus times are on the app now. Thank you for your review!

Yes I think somewhere along the line it became common knowledge that you had to take a private car to get to this event. I arranged it but decided to check the bus times on the app and they were showing up before 6am for HS on EMM morning (not on other mornings). So Disney is running buses.

I wish that they would revise their official policy to reflect real policy. They say they are running buses on hour before park opening but really it's an hour before PPO breakfasts start and up to 1.5 hours before any early morning events start. That said we had no trouble for anything either PPO or way past park closing using Disney bus transport. It's just unnerving that the official policy is 8am for a 9am park opening when you've got an 8am breakfast, or are planning some other special event.

Does anyone who booked this know if the purchase coded as "travel" on your credit card? I'm hoping to use a CC that will erase part of the charge but can only do this if it codes as travel. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter