DHS/Toy Story Land "Early Morning Magic" (EMM) FAQ & Discussion

Sort of curious how the 12/24 DHS EMM went - first time in the history of any EMM event (at either MK or DHS) where we have seen EMM during such a busy holiday time.

Next up is 12/31 - looking forward to seeing how that goes. :magnify:

From my somewhat inconsistent on/off checking, seems like 12/24, 12/31, & 1/2 have been sold out for awhile now.

I’m curious too!! We are going 1/2.

Sort of curious how the 12/24 DHS EMM went - first time in the history of any EMM event (at either MK or DHS) where we have seen EMM during such a busy holiday time.

Next up is 12/31 - looking forward to seeing how that goes. :magnify:

From my somewhat inconsistent on/off checking, seems like 12/24, 12/31, & 1/2 have been sold out for awhile now.

4 of us went on 12/24. I don't have a detailed breakdown of what we did, but here's a summary...

Led into TSL about 7:10-7:15. SDD was not up. No word on when it would be.
Rode Aliens twice before 7:30.
Rode TSM 3x. That long exit is KILLER when you're trying to maximize rides.
When we came out of TSM the third time, SDD was up. Wait time said 25 minutes; felt like 20.

At that point, it was 8:40. My parents stayed for one more SDD. Son and I left for RnR/TOT.

I overheard that we got an anytime FP because SDD was down. When I tried to use it at Star Tours at 10:15, they said it expired at 10 am. They let us FP Star Tours anyway, so no harm no foul.

Overall, the crowd was about what I was expecting. I've done the MK EMM before, but not this one. The crowds seemed comparable. If I have one quibble, I think the anytime FP should have lasted past 10 am (and loaded into your MDE account). I enjoyed it and would do it again.

I am getting a little nervous about this EMM thing if SDD is going to continue to be down for a significant portion of the event. Feels like Disney should give out multiple anytime SDD FPP (or Anytime FPP to those who are park hopping) to make up for it. When you charge $80 for a ticketed event and your headliner is down it's time to make serious amends with the guests.

Just wanted to come back and give a report of our EMM on 12/24.

We were staying at Saratoga and arrived at the bus stop around 6am. Our bus arrived at 6:38am. We got dropped off at Hollywood Studios at about 6:55am and were up near the theater by 7:08am. We opted to go grab a couple pastries before going to Toy story land. The CM's were guiding everyone towards the rope for toy story land this morning but we ignored them.

My husband misunderstood and grabbed a huge plate of pastries and cereal that I made him eat while walking to Toy story land. LOL

We arrived at 7:22am to TSL and were told Slinky was down. So we rode Aliens. It was still down when we got off so we walked onto TSMM. When it was still down again we opted to ride Aliens. Then we went back to check on Slinky dog and were told that it was still down and they were not sure when it would be up. They were testing it by that point. We were also told that from 9-10am that we could use our wrist bands for FPs for ANY rides in Hollywood studios.

We did Toy Story Midway again and when we came back out Slinky was up. It was posted 30 min wait and it was about 8:33 at that point. We were out of the ride before the rope drop crowds arrived and decided to head towards breakfast and come back to ride Slinky some more after we eat. We met buzz and did a photopass on the way out and ran into the rope drop crowds coming in. VERY thankful to not be in that mess. It was never ending and people towards the back were still trying to run like it would do them any good at that point.

We went back over to Slinky around 9:25 and were able to ride it three times before 10:00am our last pass through was at 9:59am. We could have gone and rode ToT or Rockin Roller coaster or Star Tours but we wanted to ride Slinky some more and had done the others on a previous day.

We were on a boat to Epcot by 10:35am.

In total:
Aliens x2
TSMM x2
Slinky x4
Buzz
Photopass
Breakfast

We were disappointed in Slinky being down so much or the party but even with it down we felt it was very worth it to skip the crazy crowds that arrived. We will be doing EMM in the future and hope they have one for Star Wars when it opens.

4 of us went on 12/24. I don't have a detailed breakdown of what we did, but here's a summary...

Led into TSL about 7:10-7:15. SDD was not up. No word on when it would be.
Rode Aliens twice before 7:30.
Rode TSM 3x. That long exit is KILLER when you're trying to maximize rides.
When we came out of TSM the third time, SDD was up. Wait time said 25 minutes; felt like 20.

At that point, it was 8:40. My parents stayed for one more SDD. Son and I left for RnR/TOT.

I overheard that we got an anytime FP because SDD was down. When I tried to use it at Star Tours at 10:15, they said it expired at 10 am. They let us FP Star Tours anyway, so no harm no foul.

Overall, the crowd was about what I was expecting. I've done the MK EMM before, but not this one. The crowds seemed comparable. If I have one quibble, I think the anytime FP should have lasted past 10 am (and loaded into your MDE account). I enjoyed it and would do it again.

It wasn't actually an anytime FP it was access to FP for any rides until 10am. So you could have done any and all rides as FP until 10am.

Does anyone know if SDD being down so much during EMM lately has anything to do with the cooler weather? I’ve already been trying to prepare my son for SDD closures (he has ASD and has a hard time coping with changes to plans), but I’m wondering if it will likely be down when we go on 1/21. I guess prepare for the worst and hope for the best? I just don’t recall seeing so many reports of SDD issues in the warmer months.

Does anyone know if SDD being down so much during EMM lately has anything to do with the cooler weather? I’ve already been trying to prepare my son for SDD closures (he has ASD and has a hard time coping with changes to plans), but I’m wondering if it will likely be down when we go on 1/21. I guess prepare for the worst and hope for the best? I just don’t recall seeing so many reports of SDD issues in the warmer months.

They didn't say but I assumed it was due to the condensation on the coaster that they had to run it a few times after the sun was up to get it ready. I know that is what they need to do at Cedar Point (my daughter worked there for a few summers as a ride operator and she also thinks that was the case.). But it could be anything really. Just guessing.

Not sure what I was thinking booking this on 12/31 (long day!), but great EMM this AM. 4 SDD rides ranging from no to 7 min wait, plus 1 TSM and 1 AS2. I know that’s not a impressive list, we could have done much more but we’ve done this before and slowly meander around for the atmostphere more than try to max rides.

TSM must have been down or had problems late. Got in line which was pretty long and not moving, so bailed after 7 mins. Only one track was running, I think. That was about the only low point.

Woodie and Jessie line was long throughout but Buzz was very lonely.

SDD waits and the overall experience were better this morning than when we did this in October.

Land was open early - I didn’t see exactly but I estimate 7:05-7:10. Our first ride on SDD was 7:15.

Fun way to start NYE.

I'm sure this is answered somewhere, so sorry for the repeat, but can I pay for EMM with a gift card? Booking online doesn't give me this option, but what if I call?

Thanks!

Not sure what I was thinking booking this on 12/31 (long day!), but great EMM this AM. 4 SDD rides ranging from no to 7 min wait, plus 1 TSM and 1 AS2. I know that’s not a impressive list, we could have done much more but we’ve done this before and slowly meander around for the atmostphere more than try to max rides.

TSM must have been down or had problems late. Got in line which was pretty long and not moving, so bailed after 7 mins. Only one track was running, I think. That was about the only low point.

SDD waits and the overall experience were better this morning than when we did this in October.

Land was open early - I didn’t see exactly but I estimate 7:05-7:10. Our first ride on SDD was 7:15.

Fun way to start NYE.

I am glad you posted this. You went on a very busy day and EMM was still a success. This gives me hope for my EMM during spring break!

How far in advance do they add dates? I am looking for the end of June - currently dates are through April

How far in advance do they add dates? I am looking for the end of June - currently dates.

For me, the EMM March dates were avaible for March very early on for Toy Story Land. However, the EMM magic dates for March for Fantasyland became available mid December.

How far in advance do they add dates? I am looking for the end of June - currently dates are through April
We're looking at Monday, July 1.

April dates came out on Dec 18. That's really the best hint we have.

Maybe May will come out in a couple of weeks, June in mid Feb, and July in Mid March?

How was breakfast ?
What time were you let in?
Glad to hear Buzz line wasn’t awful .. “space bob “ is the boys absolute favourite.. and No I have no idea why they call him that lol

QUOTE="GADisneyDad14, post: 60081489, member: 522402"]Not sure what I was thinking booking this on 12/31 (long day!), but great EMM this AM. 4 SDD rides ranging from no to 7 min wait, plus 1 TSM and 1 AS2. I know that’s not a impressive list, we could have done much more but we’ve done this before and slowly meander around for the atmostphere more than try to max rides.

Fun way to start NYE.[/QUOTE]

We did EMM on 1/2. Left AKL and caught the bus at 6:36, arrived at DHS just before 7. Bag check and wristbands took no time, and we arrived at the Chinese Theater at 7:10. They kept announcing TSL wouldn’t open until 7:30, so we went to grab muffins and a drink. I needed a gluten free one, so it took awhile. When we came out at 7:20, the land was already open. My kids could not wait to ride SDD, so we went straight there. Only waited 8 minutes! Then went to AS2 and rode right away. Bathroom break, then back to SDD for maybe a 10 min wait?? Then rode Slinky again with a 5 min wait. Next we walked onto TSM, and did one more SDD with a 2 min wait. As we were leaving TSL, the masses were coming in!
Our plan was to do RNRC and ToT before breakfast. Crowds were crazy and we could only do rnrc. We went back for breakfast at 9:30 and it was great!!! Everyone agreed that this was totally worth the cost :)

They kept announcing TSL wouldn’t open until 7:30

They were doing this 12/31 too. Probably was told by 2-3 CMs along the way. I was soooo glad I knew better and was back out to head in the land well before that.

I can’t decide if those CMs are just saying 7:30pm because that is the ‘official’ start time, or if it’s part of a overall plan to subtly spread crowds around and prevent everyone from heading towards SDD at once.

Did you grab breakfast? How was it?
Thanks

We did EMM on 1/2.
TSL opened 7:10 - 7:15ish.
We did
SDD x 3
TSMM x 2
AS2 x 2
W&J M&G
Buzz M&G
When leaving TSL around 8:45, mass crowd came into TSL.
After TSL, we signed up JEDI training. It was 30mins wait. And all slots were still opened except first two shows.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter