DHS/Toy Story Land "Early Morning Magic" (EMM) FAQ & Discussion

Thank you for this! Love the detailed information. Very helpful....I have a question I am hoping someone can answer. If the park doesn't open until 9am and EMM is rides from 7:30-9:00, why are they letting rope drop people back to TSL as early as 8:40 or 8:50????? I have seen many posts on this saying the massive rope drop crowds were coming back at 8:50 and a few that even said as early as 8:40... That's cutting people who paid for this event time by 10-20 minutes of rides that they could and should be getting. We will do the EMM as long as it is offered when we go this year, just trying to understand why they are doing that and if it is the normal now.

I think the actual times of this event are listed as 7:30-8:45. I was also annoyed until I realized that. The MK EMM is 7:45-9:00.

I'm debating our post-EMM strategy for July 1 (It'll be a VERY busy day).

My original plan:
Leave TSL by 8:40 to line up for Sunset Blvd rope drop
RNRC
TOT
Back to breakfast (but maybe have 1 parent go with kids to sign up for JTA while other parent orders food, or sign up after breakfast)
This will leave us 3 FP to use after breakfast, one of which will be Star Tours

But, we'll have to walk back down Sunset for Beauty and the Beast show, as well as the new Cars show.

I'm wondering if we should instead get FP for RNRC and ToT, and then:

Stay at EMM until the end (1 or 2 extra rides, maybe), but not have to watch the clock
2 rides on Star Tours
Breakfast and sign up for JTA
All 3 FP will be after breakfast, but two will be RnRC and ToT

I'm hoping we can arrange things so that we can do RnRC, ToT, B and the B, and Cars with one trip down Sunset. We plan on staying at HS from EMM through Fantasmic (and Star Wars fireworks if they are an hour apart). So it'll be a very long day. Cutting down on walking back and forth is a must.

I am trying to figure out a plan that reduces the amount of back and forth walking as well. I'm still playing with my plans, but I think I have settled on a basic plan.

8:45- Go to breakfast
9:30- First Lightning McQueen show
10- FP RNRC with Rider Swap
11- Beauty and Beast
11:30- FP TOT with Rider Swap
12:30- FP Star Tours with Rider Swap (still trying to decide if I want to do this before breakfast, since we have to do Rider Swap and I want to make it to the first Cars show)
1:15- Maybe Disney Junior

We just want to be leaving by 2:00pm which means we need to try for the first shows for Cars and Beauty and the Beast. The Rider Swap also adds more time to each ride, so it reduces the benefit of rope drop before breakfast for us.

Has anyone done the meets during EMM?

My daughter loves meeting characters, and assuming that stays the same for our trip, our priorities will be SDD (2-3 times), TSMM, AS2 and both meets. Trying to figure out the timing, do we do Woody/Jesse first then AS, then TSMM then SDD then buzz? Thoughts opinions?

Or do we do the rides and meets later?

We met the characters when we did EMM. Woody and Jessie come out right about 7:30, so it’s best to be in line at that time to meet them. Buzz never had much of a wait the day we were there.

We did SDD once as a family. My (at the time) nearly 3 year old didn’t like it. We did TSMM as a family and DH and DS rode AS2 (I opted not to ride that one). Then, I rode SDD solo while DH and DS did AS2 again and DH rode SDD while DS and I rode TSMM again. We probably could have done more rides if it weren’t for all of the switching around, but we got to experience all of TSL and were pleased with the event. I’d do it again, but I’m not sure it will exist the next time I go as SWGE will be open at that time.

We met the characters when we did EMM. Woody and Jessie come out right about 7:30, so it’s best to be in line at that time to meet them. Buzz never had much of a wait the day we were there.

We did SDD once as a family. My (at the time) nearly 3 year old didn’t like it. We did TSMM as a family and DH and DS rode AS2 (I opted not to ride that one). Then, I rode SDD solo while DH and DS did AS2 again and DH rode SDD while DS and I rode TSMM again. We probably could have done more rides if it weren’t for all of the switching around, but we got to experience all of TSL and were pleased with the event. I’d do it again, but I’m not sure it will exist the next time I go as SWGE will be open at that time.

Thank you! Very helpful!

Do you happen to know where the meet is? I should make sure I know! I’ll plan on the meet first then the rides.

Thank you! Very helpful!

Do you happen to know where the meet is? I should make sure I know! I’ll plan on the meet first then the rides.

The Buzz meet is just as you enter TSL. Woody & Jessie meet just past the TSMM entrance, across from SDD if I remember correctly (on the left if you’re coming from the TSL entrance).

My ADR window opened today but I can’t book for the first week in September yet. Is it not on the 180 day schedule?

ETA I can book MK EMM but not TSL
Maybe I’m getting my EMM experiences mixed up and TSL is a little delayed? Anyone able to book Sept yet?

Yeah, it's MK EMM that's in a rolling 180 day pattern right now. DHS EMM is only available through 8/28.

We went to TSL EMM on Monday, February 25, 2019.

When we decided to make reservations for this event, there was no availability for the 4 of us. I kept trying off and on with no luck. One day I decided to try for 2 people, and it showed up for 2 people. I booked it for 2, then tried for 2 more, and it came up as available for 2 more people. As others have stated, keep trying.

We left Pop Century at 6:30 am by car. I don't have exact times for arrival and entering, but cast members were encouraging everyone to go to Backlot Express which was 6:50 am when we got at that point. We did go and got a pastry and coffee/soda. Went to line up at 7:10am. As soon as we got in front of Chinese Theatre, 7:10 am, we were let into TSL.

We were able to ride SDD 5 times, Alien SS 2 times, and TSM 1 time, with a restroom break somewhere in there. At 8:50am, while on SDD, we saw the massive crowd being led in TSL. The line extended all the way up to The Little Mermaid. The cast member told us we could ride SDD another time since it wasn't yet 9:00 am, but we passed and went back to Backlot Express for a brunch. I know there are mixed reviews on the food, but we found it to be pretty good.

We thoroughly enjoyed the event. The rides were literally walk-ons. This was our first time experiencing TSL.

Thanks for the report @minnie-may, and :welcome:to the DIS!

Considering this for a trip in August (or doing the one at MK). The problem I see with this is my kiddo does not like the TSM, and probably doesn't want to meet the characters. He really wants to ride Slinky Dog, and I am hopeful we'd be able to get fast passes at least one day of our trip. I'm just not sure it's worth it, I mean how many times could we really get to ride? And the saucer swirl one too I think. Two rides and breakfast... maybe better off doing MK?

Considering this for a trip in August (or doing the one at MK). The problem I see with this is my kiddo does not like the TSM, and probably doesn't want to meet the characters. He really wants to ride Slinky Dog, and I am hopeful we'd be able to get fast passes at least one day of our trip. I'm just not sure it's worth it, I mean how many times could we really get to ride? And the saucer swirl one too I think. Two rides and breakfast... maybe better off doing MK?

We did this Monday. You can ride slinky several times back to back. I'll write up more next week when I get home but we ride slinky dog 4 times, as2 1 time and tsmn 2 times. And that was with a slow moving 5 year old and a bathroom break.

When I went in Dec I rose AS2 once, met W&J, and then road SDD 6 times. I could have gone once more before RD crowds but needed to go eat and get back to hotel for MDE to airport. So I would say you can definitely get more than 2 rides in

Thank you! I just went back to the website and saw that! Crazy! I thought it was until 9 as well, not 8:45. Good to be in the know and to help plan it out better.

Yes, this event is listed as ending at 8:45. Our day they came a little after, as we walked into TSL right at 8:45/46 assuming we needed to rush to make sure we didn’t get caught in the crowd. My MIL stayed outside drinking coffee and said she thought it was around 8:50. I do think it fluctuates a little, but it seems like the majority of reports are getting the full Tim until 8:45 at least.

I was checking wait times since today is a toy story land early morning and slinky dog isn’t running. I feel so bad for anyone who is there. It looks like they opened up Star tours instead

I was checking wait times since today is a toy story land early morning and slinky dog isn’t running. I feel so bad for anyone who is there. It looks like they opened up Star tours instead

While rides aren’t guaranteed to be open, I’d be first in line at guest services for a refund. SDD is THE reason to book this for us. I would be so disappointed, especially since ours is booked for our last full day with no chance for a re-do. Hopefully they’re handing out FP’s for EMM guests.

Edited to add- looks like it’s running now with a 20 minute wait?

TSM has been closed for a bit of time according to the MDE and it was showing RnR with a wait wonder if that's true and they opened Star Tours and RnR after SDD and TSM went down and this isn't even the height of the spring break crowds and WDW is already having problems keeping things running:(

Our TSL EMM review for 2/27 (of note we had the 7:30 reservation):

Walked out of Boardwalk 6:26 AM with two tired teenagers. Weather was spectacular.

Short line at security and I have us halfway down Hollywood Blvd at 6:51.

We went to Backlot Express for pastries and coffee first. Stopped to talk with a manager about DD's food allergy, sat for 5 minutes to eat, and were out at 7:09. Lined up in front of Chinese Theater at 7:11AM with a few dozen people in front of us. A little shuffling and we were close to the front of the pack.

Started walking back to TSL at 7:22. **As you head toward SDD stay to the right under the green umbrellas and you will end up in the best position to funnel into the line** At 7:29 we were on the first car of the day on SDD!! What a fun ride. Line was about 15 minutes long when we got off so we headed to TSMM at 7:34 and rode once. DS17's gun wasn't working most of the time. They offered to let us stay on and ride again but we all wanted to get back on SDD (and DH doesn't love the ride).

I didn't record the time for SDD #2 but I then have us on AS at 8:12. DS17 was less than amused. 8:16 pic in front of the Buzz statue. Ride was "meh" for adults and teens. I'd skip it unless you have younger kids. There were SDFP that I saw several times during the day that you could get instead. I think there are better uses of your EMM time.

Then back to SDD two more times. Line was probably 5 minutes each time. The back car on the left side is really the most fun.

I wanted one more ride but the line looked about 10 minutes long and we were trying to get to RnRC for RD. Grabbed some water and granola bars from the little break station by *** and headed out of TSL. As we turned onto Sunset at 8:44 the TSL RD crowd was heading in and it was definitely a sight to see.

We were the first people in the RD line on Sunset at 8:45 and walked on to RnRC at 8:54. Third car of the day because we waited for front row. Off at 9:03.

DD and I walked on to ToT at 9:08.

Got back to Backlot Express at about 9:30 and enjoyed a leisurely breakfast. We particularly enjoyed the Chilaquiles bowl and the chicken and donuts. We got 6 entrees between the four of us plus fruit and cereal from the buffet. We had TSMM FPP for 9:40-10:40 but it was down for the whole morning. Felt bad for all those RD people who planned to do SDD then TSMM without a FP.

Overall:
breakfast x 2
SDD x 4
TSMM x 1
RD RnRC and ToT

All by 9:15 AM. I think this event is definitely worth the price.

TSM has been closed for a bit of time according to the MDE and it was showing RnR with a wait wonder if that's true and they opened Star Tours and RnR after SDD and TSM went down and this isn't even the height of the spring break crowds and WDW is already having problems keeping things running:(

Yikes! Yeah, that's a bad situation. I'm glad they opened other rides--but I hope they also gave out lots of anytime FPs to come back and ride Slinky Dog and TSM once they got up and going again. I remember other people saying that SD has seemed to have occasional problems in the cold--I wonder if that was causing problems this morning? What bad timing with TSM too.

We went to Backlot Express for pastries and coffee first. Stopped to talk with a manager about DD's food allergy, sat for 5 minutes to eat, and were out at 7:09. Lined up in front of Chinese Theater at 7:11AM with a few dozen people in front of us. A little shuffling and we were close to the front of the pack.
How did they handle the food allergy? Were there allergy-friendly pastries available? Both of my kids have multiple food allergies so I've been wondering about this.

Hi!! I was wondering if anyone has used Uber with the car seat option to get to the Hollywood studios that early for the event?
Did you have issues finding one that early?

I was worried with bus transportation.
We would need a car seat for a two year old if we don’t use the bus.
I’m not sure what time buses start running from art of animation....
Thanks!!

Hi!! I was wondering if anyone has used Uber with the car seat option to get to the Hollywood studios that early for the event?
Did you have issues finding one that early?

I was worried with bus transportation.
We would need a car seat for a two year old if we don’t use the bus.
I’m not sure what time buses start running from art of animation....
Thanks!!

I didn't take Uber but took a bus from Pop. They seem to be running buses starting 6am from various reports. I caught a bus at 6:30.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter