Diabetic menu

Tikibear

There’s no losin’ when you’re cruisin’
Does anyone have info or even a copy of the diabetic menu for the Wonder?

I’ve never seen a “diabetic menu” anywhere, and my household has lived with diabetes for nearly 25 years. Diabetics learn to avoid or limit high-carb foods based on what affects them the most along with their treatment regimen. Your Head Server can help with choices and the chef should be glad to speak with the person/party if needed. Some items can be modified such as leaving off sauces; others may be harder because it comes partially prepared, such as breaded chicken.

I’ve never seen a “diabetic menu” anywhere, and my household has lived with diabetes for nearly 25 years. Diabetics learn to avoid or limit high-carb foods based on what affects them the most along with their treatment regimen. Your Head Server can help with choices and the chef should be glad to speak with the person/party if needed. Some items can be modified such as leaving off sauces; others may be harder because it comes partially prepared, such as breaded chicken.
Never seen a diabetic menu anywhere either, and I'm diabetic. Just need to make your smart choices and if served something that might be an issue, leave it on the plate because many items are pre-plated.

Yes. NSA items are available but I would on the first day, go see the head waiter and let them know there is a need for items for diabetics. The chef will review them for who ever is need for these items and they will make special items or tweak items as much as they can to accomodate dietary needs. The key to this is letting them know in advance. I'd even call DCL and see if they can mark your reservation with this information (I've heard of others doing this) so it's easier to get a head of the communication.

I'm curious what people consider to be a "diabetic menu" offering? Or "items for diabetics?" I don't mean to be argumentative, just mystified. As mentioned above my family has lived with diabetes for many years.

I will comment that from my experience, once you mention a dietary "limitation" of any sort, DCL takes that very seriously (as if it were an anaphylactic allergy) and may refuse to serve some items. So for example if making a specific request for "diabetic" they tend to think "no sugar" and won't serve you a regular dessert -- however they'd have no concern giving you a double-portion of pasta. Either may or may not be appropriate, depending on the person's specific treatment. T1 on insulin will largely just adjust their insulin dosing. T2 doing strict carb counting need to be aware that "no sugar added" doesn't necessarily mean low carb. Most servers simply don't understand the complexities and it really is up to the individual to be aware of what they eat.

I tell my server that I am diabetic just so that they are aware and then I make my own choices and sometimes ask them to tweak things like giving replacing the salad dressings with something less sugary, replacing potatoes with vegetables, etc... I have T2 and under strict control (AIC always under 6) so I guess I probably have a little more leeway in that area. I also walk a few laps after every meal. Your mileage, of course, may vary.

One warning... do NOT eat the scrambled eggs in Cabanas. Its from a pre-made mixture that uses sugar as a stabilizer. I found that out the hard way. :-)

I generally stick to eggs and bacon for breakfast and a salad for lunch so I can splurge a little bit the rest of the time. I am weak though and sometimes lunch involves something else. Just have to walk more afterwards. :-)

II have T2 and under strict control (AIC always under 6) so I guess I probably have a little more leeway in that area. I also walk a few laps after every meal. Your mileage, of course, may vary.
Am I the only one that finds the TV commercials for those prescription T2 Diabetes medicines confusing, to say the least? The disclosure says "many users will experience an A1C of 7 . I'm 6.2 with no medication.

I'm curious what people consider to be a "diabetic menu" offering? Or "items for diabetics?" I don't mean to be argumentative, just mystified. As mentioned above my family has lived with diabetes for many years.

I'm curious too as my wife is type 1 and has been since she was 10. The only thing she ever mentions to a server is to PLEASE make sure her diet soda is indeed diet.

I was recently diagnosed as diabetic (6.1) which means I'm new to this world. I'm sailing March 2022 and have been strategizing what to eat. I've reviewed past menus, applied what I like to eat, and have a fairly good eating plan for the cruise. I also consulted my doctor about eating and drinking on the cruise. We had a wonderful conversation on the best drinks for diabetics. I appreciate this topic thread and especially the info about avoiding scrambled eggs. Thanks for the heads up on this one. I guess what I'm saying is I'm planning ahead, educating myself, and then am ready to enjoy eating foods that my diabetes will allow. Can't wait to sail in a couple of months.

We deal with type 2 and find there are good options in MDR if you have a little knowledge and a lot of self control. As mentioned, walking helps a lot.
For breakfast, if you want eggs, order sunny side up or over easy so they have to use real eggs. For lunch, a salad with maybe some fruit.
The dinner menus always include a set of "light" options....chicken breast, steak, vegetarian. Ask for no potato/rice/pasta and double vegy instead. Lots of salad but ask about dressings...maybe an oil & vinegar. For other entrees, omit the sauces.
And, of course, avoid alcohol in all forms.

I'm 6.2 with no medication.
Technically that is in the "pre-diabetes" range (5.7% - 6.4%). Officially T2 is 6.5% or higher. However to your point about the commercials -- it isn't uncommon for people struggling to control their T2 to be in the 8% range.

Technically that is in the "pre-diabetes" range (5.7% - 6.4%). Officially T2 is 6.5% or higher. However to your point about the commercials -- it isn't uncommon for people struggling to control their T2 to be in the 8% range.
I’d be happy to be at 7 consistently. Every time I work it back down to 7.2-7.4, it goes back up the next time.

I will comment that from my experience, once you mention a dietary "limitation" of any sort, DCL takes that very seriously (as if it were an anaphylactic allergy) and may refuse to serve some items. So for example if making a specific request for "diabetic" they tend to think "no sugar" and won't serve you a regular dessert -- however they'd have no concern giving you a double-portion of pasta. Either may or may not be appropriate, depending on the person's specific treatment. T1 on insulin will largely just adjust their insulin dosing. T2 doing strict carb counting need to be aware that "no sugar added" doesn't necessarily mean low carb. Most servers simply don't understand the complexities and it really is up to the individual to be aware of what they eat.

I'll second this-once they know you have a dietary restriction they will be super strict about it. Cruised with a friend a few years ago that has sensitivity to gluten (not celiac, but will be pretty miserable if she eats a lot of gluten). She of course mentioned on our first night, and from then on she couldn't order anything that even remotely could have had gluten in it (or somehow been contaminated). She was okay with a little gluten, if it was something she really wanted to eat, but she couldn't "override" the restriction once it had been noted. We would start letting her have bites of our food just so she could try it. I appreciated how seriously they took it, for sure, just a little frustrating for my friend that she couldn't "override" it.

Yeah, my Doctor has stricter standards than I read elsewhere.

I've never had a problem with them not letting me order something. I just tell them I'm T2 just so they are aware of it. Maybe its because I'm not specifying it as a dietary restriction?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter