• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Diabetic Question: Before I go down the DAS road.

I'm T1D and last year was the first time a did DAS. It made such a difference for me. I knew ahead of time that when I have a ton a exercise (like all the non-stop walking/standing) combined with heat that I tend to lose my appetite and end up with a bunch of highs that dramatically and unpredictably drop into severe lows. What makes it worse for me is that I'm now hypoglycemic unaware and don't know when I'm crashing until my dexcom alerts. My endocrinologist adjusted my pump settings, and that helped, but having that DAS pass helped keep me from having to leave the stand-by line for bathroom breaks from all the fluids consumed, treating lows by needing to sit somewhere, and staying out of the baking sun when the lines were outdoors. I'd definitely talk to your healthcare provider about pump settings and consider a DAS pass.

I'm T1D and last year was the first time a did DAS. It made such a difference for me. I knew ahead of time that when I have a ton a exercise (like all the non-stop walking/standing) combined with heat that I tend to lose my appetite and end up with a bunch of highs that dramatically and unpredictably drop into severe lows. What makes it worse for me is that I'm now hypoglycemic unaware and don't know when I'm crashing until my dexcom alerts. My endocrinologist adjusted my pump settings, and that helped, but having that DAS pass helped keep me from having to leave the stand-by line for bathroom breaks from all the fluids consumed, treating lows by needing to sit somewhere, and staying out of the baking sun when the lines were outdoors. I'd definitely talk to your healthcare provider about pump settings and consider a DAS pass.
What did you do while you were waiting for your DAS return time? Were there places you could sit in the AC and wait, because we have found that indoor seating is for people who have purchased a meal. Actually, we've found more shade/fans/AC in the queues than in anywhere else in the parks beside the stores. The only place cool we've found to wait is in the stores.

Last edited:
What did you do while you were waiting for your DAS return time? Were there places you could sit in the AC and wait, because we have found that indoor seating is for people who have purchased a meal. Actually, we've fund more shade/fans/AC in the queues than in anywhere else in the parks beside the stores. The only place cool we've found to wait is in the stores.

I can't answer the OP statement. But I do know that when I'm low especially I just want to sit. I don't care if it's on the ground or a toilet lol. I'd be the weirdo who would ride the people mover 10 times just to sit.

What did you do while you were waiting for your DAS return time? Were there places you could sit in the AC and wait, because we have found that indoor seating is for people who have purchased a meal. Actually, we've fund more shade/fans/AC in the queues than in anywhere else in the parks beside the stores. The only place cool we've found to wait is in the stores.
Maybe you could just order a drink and sit at a QS place? Did they require a whole meal purchase?

I was told in no uncertain terms by Guest Services that the risk of a blood sugar drop wasn’t enough to warrant giving me DAS, so just know that that’s a possibility and have a Plan B in mind. If you may suddenly need to sit in line, they may tell you that a wheelchair or rollator is sufficient. Not seeing any of this to be negative; it’s simply the facts that different CMs are likely to give different answers, so I don’t like to see anybody be in the position of counting on some thing that isn’t a guarantee.

When I’m outside and active in the summer, I either use a temp nasal rate or suspend most of the time and make sure to snack on a combination of fast and slow carbohydrates.

Last edited:
I was told in no uncertain terms by Guest Services that the risk of a blood sugar drop wasn’t enough to warrant giving me DAS, so just know that that’s a possibility and have a Plan B in mind. If you may suddenly need to sit in line, they may tell you that a wheelchair or rollator is sufficient. Not seeing any of this to be negative; it’s simply the facts that different CMs are likely to give different answers, so I don’t like to see anybody be in the position of counting on some thing that isn’t a guarantee.

When I’m outside and active in the summer, I either use a temp nasal rate or suspend most of the time and make sure to snack on a combination of fast and slow carbohydrates.
We've gotten the DAS 3 times in the last year for this exact reason, all from different CMs, across both Land and World.

I think your experience is the one out of the norm, and it is more likely than not to get DAS for this.

I can't answer the OP statement. But I do know that when I'm low especially I just want to sit. I don't care if it's on the ground or a toilet lol. I'd be the weirdo who would ride the people mover 10 times just to sit.
Sadly, even the peoplemover has a long queue these days, so it's very rare during the day to be able to stay on for a reride.

I think your experience is the one out of the norm, and it is more likely than not to get DAS for this.
Unfortunately, the PP is not the only report I've read of folks denied DAS "for diabetes." It likely depends on the request and how someone explains their needs. Diagnosis doesn't matter, explaining about avoiding the queue is key.

Since no one here can guarantee any individual will definitely be granted a DAS, it is always good advice to have a back-up plan. Advanced Registration available is helpful in that someone can find out ahead, and decide if they wish to pursue the matter further in-person or go with an alternate plan.

Unfortunately, the PP is not the only report I've read of folks denied DAS "for diabetes." It likely depends on the request and how someone explains their needs. Diagnosis doesn't matter, explaining about avoiding the queue is key.

Since no one here can guarantee any individual will definitely be granted a DAS, it is always good advice to have a back-up plan. Advanced Registration available is helpful in that someone can find out ahead, and decide if they wish to pursue the matter further in-person or go with an alternate plan.
I totally agree that we all know the same diagnosis can have different outcomes depending on the person. And even the same person may struggle at one point in their lives when they've not had issues before. This is why explaining why a person cannot wait in the longer line is more important than the diagnosis. Not to mention diabetes is complicated (type 1, type 2, mody and other sub-types).

Even with a DAS, a good touring plan really helps. When my son was very young (got type 1 at 26 months of age) we often planned sit down meals (he also has food allergies). It's nice to have those planned times to sit in AC and eat - for us. Taking advantage of the extra cost night time parties that give you access to the parks with fewer people is also great - and not as hot - if you have the extra funds. We sometimes did the MNSSHP twice - once for the party stuff and once for the rides (YMMV on how crowded the rides are on party nights - sometimes they've oversold them). If the heat and sun are a major issue for a summer trip, it was great when they stayed open really late (not sure they do that as much after covid).

For anyone requesting DAS, the important thing is to be able to explain what your concerns are with waiting in line. Be concise, but as specific as you can be.
Stating a diagnosis or making a simple statement like “I’m afraid of low blood sugars in line” is not (or at least should not) be the whole answer to get DAS.
Many people have posted over the years that they treated their low blood sugars in line without needing to get out of line or any negative outcome. So, just low blood sugars are not necessarily the same concern for all diabetics. Be ready to explain what about how your low blood sugars happening in line concerns you.

NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT POST SPECIFIC EXAMPLES

Regardless of DAS, it is essential to have stuff to treat lows. Glucose tabs. The corn syrup in regular soda will bring you up fast. Bring a can or bottle of sprite. Normally a diabetic will only drink diet soda. Double check.

For anyone requesting DAS, the important thing is to be able to explain what your concerns are with waiting in line. Be concise, but as specific as you can be.
Stating a diagnosis or making a simple statement like “I’m afraid of low blood sugars in line” is not (or at least should not) be the whole answer to get DAS.
Many people have posted over the years that they treated their low blood sugars in line without needing to get out of line or any negative outcome. So, just low blood sugars are not necessarily the same concern for all diabetics. Be ready to explain what about how your low blood sugars happening in line concerns you.

NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT POST SPECIFIC EXAMPLES

I know that this is how Disney operates, but I really wish that they would consider the anxiety this policy pushes on their customers, and find some better way. I've used DAS for a number of years to great success. I was quite reluctant the first couple of trips that I requested it, and only did it mid-way through the trip with some prodding from my wife, after multiple situations where my T1D caused issues.

Just like my "expiration dates" on my prescriptions, Disney could acknowledge that this condition doesn't get better over time. As each trip nears, I am racked with anxiety about whether how I explain my needs this time around meets the threshold for the particular CM I'm speaking to in order to be granted a DAS pass again.

I know that this is how Disney operates, but I really wish that they would consider the anxiety this policy pushes on their customers, and find some better way. I've used DAS for a number of years to great success. I was quite reluctant the first couple of trips that I requested it, and only did it mid-way through the trip with some prodding from my wife, after multiple situations where my T1D caused issues.

Just like my "expiration dates" on my prescriptions, Disney could acknowledge that this condition doesn't get better over time. As each trip nears, I am racked with anxiety about whether how I explain my needs this time around meets the threshold for the particular CM I'm speaking to in order to be granted a DAS pass again.

Diabetic here myself. And while I understand your point, a myriad of things can be different from trip to trip that could necessitate anyone needing a DAS once and then not subsequently. In the specific example of Diabetes, this condition is life-long, but changes in diet, exercise, and/or treatment can and does shift how someone is able to manage and may mean someone perhaps newly diagnosed on one trip may have better control and not need the DAS on a subsequent trip. Someone may struggle with lows and need a DAS on a trip due to the heat and activity and speak with their endo(or other treating physician) subsequently to get advice on how to better handle future trips, which may resolve their need for a DAS.

It’s not the same for everyone, even two people with the same diagnosis, and there are a host of differences among even just the types of disease for diabetics. But the DAS is not about diagnosis. The need should be evaluated regularly, even for those of us with chronic conditions that won’t ever “go away”, as the ability to manage the physical lines can and does change with different circumstances, at least for some.

I think PP have already covered this, but I would also recommend tracking your activity and glucose levels to try to see any patterns or predictable trends. It sounds like a basal rate adjustment might help, either all day, or using a temp basal when you are active. DD has type 1 and has completed many successful theme park trips without DAS, usually in hot weather. She is very active in her everyday life, though, so she has an idea of how her body reacts to activity and heat. Of course, as you know, T1 doesn't always play nice and follow patterns :) .

A few other tips--when in the parks we carry a good supply of glucose tabs for lows because they are lightweight and don't melt. If she goes through her supply, we buy candy before we run out, not waiting until a low hits to find something. We also carry insulin and an extra pod (she uses Omnipod) and she has changed her pod in several fun places around WDW! We like to have that option so if she has a failure we wouldn't have to return to the room. We use a Frio pack to keep insulin cool.

Finally, plan meals at regular times and seek out locations that have healthy options. Many quick service locations have a variety of offerings so you can choose what type of meal will be best given your sugars at that time. Whether we eat quick service or table service, we sit down and eat meals at regular intervals, rather than snacking or eating on the go. This seems to help with keeping levels even. (just to clarify, we do snack! especially when sugars are low--but not in place of meals)

Checking in here as another diabetic who was denied a DAS. I had a severe, refractory low after an extended wait time in HS several years ago and have tried to get DAS for the last three visits, to no avail. I even explained to the last CM I spoke with on the video chat that I had passed out in a line, and had to have EMS assistance, and she explained to me that since this was something that could be prevented I was not eligible for the DAS. But, like the OP I have far more difficulty with lows in the heat than at any other time.

I am an RN, and I do a lot of teaching in my professional life so I am fairly sure I am explaining the consequences of extended standing in line (for me) plainly, but I have yet to reach a CM who feels DAS is appropriate for me. I do wish the system was more consistent across CM's, but one of the hardest thing to achieve in any system is consistency. So, it is what it is, and in the hottest part of the day I tend to do a fair amount of people watching in places where AC is available. As previous posters have said, bring a hefty supply of whatever your most effective rescue foods are and do the best you can. Good luck!

Checking in here as another diabetic who was denied a DAS. I had a severe, refractory low after an extended wait time in HS several years ago and have tried to get DAS for the last three visits, to no avail. I even explained to the last CM I spoke with on the video chat that I had passed out in a line, and had to have EMS assistance, and she explained to me that since this was something that could be prevented I was not eligible for the DAS. But, like the OP I have far more difficulty with lows in the heat than at any other time.

I am an RN, and I do a lot of teaching in my professional life so I am fairly sure I am explaining the consequences of extended standing in line (for me) plainly, but I have yet to reach a CM who feels DAS is appropriate for me. I do wish the system was more consistent across CM's, but one of the hardest thing to achieve in any system is consistency. So, it is what it is, and in the hottest part of the day I tend to do a fair amount of people watching in places where AC is available. As previous posters have said, bring a hefty supply of whatever your most effective rescue foods are and do the best you can. Good luck!

I have no input what should and shouldn't be allowed, but yes hearing stories that I had a broken nail and got DAS and I have 17 issues was denied are disheartening.

I'm really puzzled by this. We often attended the "Children With Diabetes" conference typically held in July at a Disney resort (Coronado) - the conference is for those with type 1 or insulin dependent generally - and not just for kids. Thousands with type 1 go every year. I also have many friends that go (adults) and some get a DAS and some don't - but it is not generally denied. Have you also asked in person vs. video chat? I'd try in person at the MK.

I cannot really critique what you're telling them since I can't give examples on the boards. However if someone tried to tell me why this was preventable I'd probably say wow thanks for donating your pancreas (to my kid, I'm not type 1) - when can we set up the surgery? Preventable? Wow that's just such an insult. I was a human pancreas for many years of my son's life (dx'd at 26 months old) so it's good to know that all of those times he went too high or too low or threw up or I stayed up half the night trying to keep him from going too high or low or whatever were preventable - I'd love to hear her master class on that. It's a brutal disease to manage 24/7 and being on vacation was always one of the hardest times.

Many people find their insulin requirements are dramatically lower due to walking and the FL heat.
OPPOSITE case
Insulin loses its effectiveness if it gets too hot. You should be concerned if insulin gets above 86°
Some insulin may be good up into the 90s
This can be an issue if your using a pump

I'm really puzzled by this. We often attended the "Children With Diabetes" conference typically held in July at a Disney resort (Coronado) - the conference is for those with type 1 or insulin dependent generally - and not just for kids. Thousands with type 1 go every year. I also have many friends that go (adults) and some get a DAS and some don't - but it is not generally denied. Have you also asked in person vs. video chat? I'd try in person at the MK.

I cannot really critique what you're telling them since I can't give examples on the boards. However if someone tried to tell me why this was preventable I'd probably say wow thanks for donating your pancreas (to my kid, I'm not type 1) - when can we set up the surgery? Preventable? Wow that's just such an insult. I was a human pancreas for many years of my son's life (dx'd at 26 months old) so it's good to know that all of those times he went too high or too low or threw up or I stayed up half the night trying to keep him from going too high or low or whatever were preventable - I'd love to hear her master class on that. It's a brutal disease to manage 24/7 and being on vacation was always one of the hardest times.
Yes, I actually just returned today from WDW and tried 30 days ago to use the video chat and get a DAS. I did think that having the example of needing EMS while in line on my last visit would help me get a DAS this time, and was looking forward to the video chat. But, that CM was the one who made the "preventable" comment. Even after I told her that my BG was unpredictable in under the conditions often present in the parks, her only response was that if I "had an episode, you could talk to a cast member in the park and see if they would give you a DAS".

Honestly, I now look at this as "three strikes, you're out". Maybe they think that as an adult, I should be able manage my T1D more effectively - the denial is always puzzling to me as well. Truthfully, it is hard to keep asking for help and getting denied. I still enjoy my trips, I just modify them so that they are safer for me. And being a nurse, I am happy that the DAS exists for those who are able to get it.

I was one denied the DAS when it first came out. but I have other problems that warrant a DAS so I just talk about my other needs. @frndofpooh I wish you better luck next time you are down there, I have heard that saying the word diabetic can lead the CM to say no so if you can find a way to not say diabetes that may help you out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter