Dialysis and Disney

Hockeytchr

Go for it, have fun, and relax
We are heading down at the end of May. We will be coming in our rv and will only be bringing our golf cart with us for our stay at Ft. Wilderness. My mom will need to leave for dialysis at least three days of our trip. I've been told that her dialysis center, DaVita will help us with making those arrangements but I am wondering if anyone else has had this experience and could share some tips or ideas on how to navigate this new challenge. What would be the best way to get her to the offsite dialysis center? Uber or lyft? Or would it be more econmical to rent a small car? Mom isn't a fan of uber or lyft and could actually drive herself but we want to explore options. I know some may say I answered my own question about transportation, but I am looking for input to see if anyone else has had this experience and can share how they did it.

Also where can I get information about assistance passes for the parks? DAS is what I remember them being called a few years ago. We haven't had a need for something like this but with mom's condition and also with my husband's back, knee, and ankle problems we might benefit from this for our wait times. I do understand that we will have to wait in lines, that's not the issue, it is more about having to stand for long times. Mom will use a mobility scooter but hubby refuses to since the waking is good for him, its the standing still that he has issues with.

Any advice?

We are heading down at the end of May. We will be coming in our rv and will only be bringing our golf cart with us for our stay at Ft. Wilderness. My mom will need to leave for dialysis at least three days of our trip. I've been told that her dialysis center, DaVita will help us with making those arrangements but I am wondering if anyone else has had this experience and could share some tips or ideas on how to navigate this new challenge. What would be the best way to get her to the offsite dialysis center? Uber or lyft? Or would it be more econmical to rent a small car? Mom isn't a fan of uber or lyft and could actually drive herself but we want to explore options. I know some may say I answered my own question about transportation, but I am looking for input to see if anyone else has had this experience and can share how they did it.

Also where can I get information about assistance passes for the parks? DAS is what I remember them being called a few years ago. We haven't had a need for something like this but with mom's condition and also with my husband's back, knee, and ankle problems we might benefit from this for our wait times. I do understand that we will have to wait in lines, that's not the issue, it is more about having to stand for long times. Mom will use a mobility scooter but hubby refuses to since the waking is good for him, its the standing still that he has issues with.

Any advice?
Fir the DAS they want to know why you can not wait in the standby line. if the answer is I can not stand/ walk then the answer will most likely be a no

Think about what will happen when he stands in line or what would cause him to leave the line

would a roller work it has a set that he could sit in when needed. you could also creat a bubble about him so he could walk in place. could he share the ECV where one sits for a bit then the other ( I did this with my friend when she need to walk some and sit some) just some idea incase you do not get the DAS

Any advice?
If she can drive herself, I think renting a car would be a great idea. For your husband's issues, not wanting to use a mobility device is not a reason to get DAS. If he needs to walk, have him get a rollator so that he can have a seat in the queue (or wherever else) he needs one. The rollator could even be folded and attached to the ECV if he doesn't want to push it all day.

Sounds like renting a car is your best bet. As far as DAS, the accomodation they will suggest is a scooter, wheelchair or rollator. Sounds like renting/bringing a rollator would benefit him since he likes occational walking.

Enjoy your trip! The DaVita down there is wonderful.

Any advice?
As for me personally, since I have a motorhome, I dinghy tow my truck, and would use the truck to drive your mom to the dialysis center. As for the golf cart to get around Fort Wilderness, it may be cheaper just to rent a golf cart (from a third party company) instead and dinghy or dolly tow a separate vehicle or use the tow vehicle to drive there (if bringing a towable rv) or you can call a taxi cab to bring your mom there. The dialysis center may also provide transportation there and back as well so I would check with them and explain the situation.

As far as the DAS system is concerned, it is a needs based system and Disney policy clearly states that the DAS system is not intended for mobility or physical impairments that makes standing difficult alone. This is usually mitigated with a wheelchair or ECV. The vast majority of lines are adapted to accommodate these devices. He can still walk and only use the wheelchair to give him a way to sit down while in line. Not to mention, even if DAS is approved, you still may have to wait in a line after you check in on your return time (this line is much shorter than the standby line, but without the wheelchair or ECV, may require considerable standing. This is usually the line for Lightning Lane guests).

Last edited:
Thanks all! I appreciate the input. We may look into a rental car, we are not equipped a tow dolly anymore since we got rid of our front wheel drive car and haven't invested into a tow set-up for our f150 yet. We just bought a new motor home in January and really don't want to add extra expense of getting the truck set-up yet. We will have to see about the DAS, since it seems like it may not be feasible for his needs, so we will see.

Sounds like renting a car is your best bet. As far as DAS, the accomodation they will suggest is a scooter, wheelchair or rollator. Sounds like renting/bringing a rollator would benefit him since he likes occational walking.

Enjoy your trip! The DaVita down there is wonderful.
Which Davita did you use? There are several listed when I've looked.

You can rent a car from the Alamo at the Disney Car Care Center. You have to do this through Alamo's website, I believe; I've never seen it come up with using something like carrentalsavers. Alamo will pick up your mother, take her to their site to get the car, and when she returns the car they'll drop her off anyplace on Disney property. This might be a better option for her than uber, lyft, or a taxi.

You can rent a car from the Alamo at the Disney Car Care Center. You have to do this through Alamo's website, I believe; I've never seen it come up with using something like carrentalsavers. Alamo will pick up your mother, take her to their site to get the car, and when she returns the car they'll drop her off anyplace on Disney property. This might be a better option for her than uber, lyft, or a taxi.
Thank you! That sounds perfect! We will look into this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter