Diamond Found at MK. Did a CM Steal it? Share your Lost and Found Story

My wallet fell out of my pocket (most likely in the restroom) last March at Animal Kingdom. Thankfully, someone turned it in to lost and found and I was able to get it back. I shared the full story here... Lost Wallet

I have two stories.

First, in June we checked into AKL. We are DVC and used points to book a savannah view GV. We were assigned a room that did not have a view of the savannah, so I requested a room change. We moved rooms the next day.

Later that day I received an email from Lost and Found that my hoodie had been found. I didn't know we had lost one. Turns out DD14 left a hoodie and housekeeping found it, turned it in and they emailed me to tell me they had it! That's wonderful service.

Second story...a friend's son left his beloved stuffed cow behind after they checked out. Friend called when they got home because son couldn't find his cow. They located it and mailed it to him! Again, great customer service!

My wallet fell out of my pocket (most likely in the restroom) last March at Animal Kingdom. Thankfully, someone turned it in to lost and found and I was able to get it back. I shared the full story here... Lost Wallet

Great story! Good Disney Karma for sure. The same day I Iost my GC at DCA, my son found a $5 bill on the ground while we were standing in line. He gave it to a cast member who looked at us like we were crazy for turning it in. But it wasn’t ours to keep. I told my boys after we got our GC back that it was good Disney Karma coming back to us for turning in the $5.

I thought of another lost item story. My son lost his magic band over the railing at Garden Grill. It fell in the farmhouse section of LWTL. It was a Figment magic band 1.0 that he loved. We figured they could get it for us after closing but they basically just said it’s gone. They did gift him a new magic band of his choosing but he still talks about that one he lost.

There are cameras everywhere at Disney, and CMs usually value their jobs. I can't imagine a CM stealing something to risk losing their job.
We have lost several items over the years. A few were found at Lost & Found and a couple have been mailed back to us. Once a lanyard was not found, but I don't think we asked at L&F back then.

I wouldn’t place something so valuable or tiny into the hands of one CM without another CM or manager present

Unless you're just going to have something made from the diamond, diamonds aren't that valuable to sell. The OP does say it looked like a carat, which makes the math better, but still, unless you know someone shady, it's really not worth losing a job.

I can’t say for certain, but it sure looked like a 1 carat diamond. It was a solitaire and similar to the diamond in my wedding ring.

FWIW...I have two friends with really good 1 carat stones. I have one friend with a 1 carat moissanite (?) ring. They look the same to the naked eye.

someone liked my ears and stole them, which is a little bizarre--they're not exactly valuable or anything

$20 or so, right? My son had a pirate hat and a lightsaber stolen (at separate times and at Disneyland). Both times we figure it was kids and families that just didn't notice. Might be the same with your ears.

I lost a gold Mickey bracelet at MK and never got it back. I spent two years tracking down a replacement (I had bought it at WDW a few years earlier).

I have found two iPhones and an expensive DSLR camera, and turned them all in. I hope the owners got them back. Both phones were on benches at Epcot. The camera was in the lobby bathroom at CR.

I remember in the 1980's (late) we were walking up main street USA on our way out and I spotted a wallet. The Wallet had absolutely no identification in it at all. What it did have was $50.00 cash. I have to sadly admit, that things were tight back then and I was so tempted to just keep walking with it in my pocket. Then something happened, one of my children asked me what I was going to do with it. What choice did I have. I took it to a CM and turned it in. I suppose there is a good chance that it never made it past that CM, but I hopefully made an impression on my kids about honesty. What the CM did, she has to live with. Not me. I have honestly never regretted it.

So coincidentally we are at WDW right now and lost a cell phone on Tower of Terror yesterday. You know. One my son only had for four days!!!! Just got notified that it’s at lost and found and we can pick it up tomorrow. You have to laugh or else you’ll cry.

Last October, my DS left his absolute favorite worn-out baseball hat on Soaring. I assumed it was gone but he talked to a CM and gave a description. They looked and could not find it. I filled out the lost and found form on the website thinking it was gone - honestly, it was old and in these Covid times... Sure enough, I got an email from guest services saying it was found and they mailed it back to us.

On the subject of cameras, I can verify they are EVERYWHERE. When my twins were about 7 years old I lost one of them in a gift shop in Disneyland. I sent him in to retrieve something he left and he went out through the wrong exit. I was standing outside of the store screaming his name like a crazy person (your mind goes straight to Law and Order SVU scenarios in these situations, or at least mine does) when a cast member approached me and asked what was wrong. I told him I could not find my son and showed him a picture. He walked off and after what seemed like an hour (but was probably only 5 minutes) I gave up on him, thinking he forgot about us. Immediately after my negative thought, a different CM tapped me on my shoulder and asked me if I was Thompson's Mom. I said yes and he took me through the backstage passages to the Lost and Found for children (or as he called it, Lost Parents). My son was there happily eating a cookie and drinking a coke. I asked how they had found him (and me) so quickly and he told me the cast member had alerted security and they reviewed the footage from that area to find us both. I asked my lost DS if he had told a cast member he was lost and he told me he had not known he was lost but a security guard told him I was looking for him. Needless to say, I was very impressed that day.

I'm thinking the CM most likely put it in her pocket so she could start processing the next customer and then take it to the back room for storage when she went to check on the next customer's lost item. I don't see why they would need to collect any information from the OP since they have no need to contact OP in the future (whether the owner does or does not find it), and since they don't need any details on where the item was lost since that's the sort of think the owner could have lost anywhere and isn't going to be able to say where they lost it other than "Magic Kingdom".

I was somewhat less than impressed by lost and found on our last trip. I knew the exact location and time I lost my item: I took off my mickey ears on 7DMT and put them in the little pocket in front of me on row 4 of the train. Realized I forgot to take them out as I was walking away and went back to the ride. They said nobody turned it in yet, but check at the end of the day at the ride. I did, nothing, so checked at the lost and found at the front of park. They said no, but likely wouldn't be found until the overnight crew and I should fill out an online form. I did and a couple of days later, got an email they couldn't find my item and were closing out my lost item claim.

I guess either (1) someone liked my ears and stole them, which is a little bizarre--they're not exactly valuable or anything; or (2) lost and found just doesn't have a terribly good system.
They don't have a good system. (at least in my case)

When leaving the Polynesian for a split at Yacht I left a pair of bluetooth headphones in the safe - they were in a black case and blended right in. I realized I forgot them as soon as we got to Yacht - I spent about 30 minutes with a CM at the front desk trying to get a hold of housekeeping and the front desk at Poly and they said nothing had been turned in and they had me do the online form. I was extremely frustrated because I knew they were in that safe! I almost went and knocked on the door of the poly room just to retrieve them, but my wife said that was a horrible idea and I agreed. About 10 days later I get a response from their online system that it's closed and unresolved, I'm already out the headphones at this point but I wanted to call and complain about their lost and found system, the CM on the phone listened to me and then asked me to hold for a few minutes, then they came back on and described my headphones to me and that a pair matching my description was in their possession and they were going to send to me.... The case was already closed, they had said it was a lost cause, I call and complain and they miraculously reappear. They were mine alright, I was glad to have them back - but the whole ordeal really dampened the last part of our trip.

We haven‘t gotten back anything we’ve lost. My daughter left a hoodie on a Disney bus, and I left a portable charger/battery pack in our room when we checked out of our resort. We never saw either of those again. I also had a t-shirt disappear out of our room once. I‘m skeptical it was housekeeping, but I’ll never know. I don’t know who else would have been in our room (this was several years ago, before daily security checks). I found a few things under the beds in our room when I was looking for my shirt— some ears, small cars, and a plastic bracelet. I turned all of those in to the desk. I hope they were reunited with their owners!

I am amazed that I haven’t lost more things at Disney! I misplace things all of the time. 🤣

When my daughter was 3 (now 36) we left her favorite lovey in the room when we checked out of the Polynesian. We did not realize it until we were at the airport. Called Disney L&F to report. We were delayed getting back home to TN because of a snow storm. The day we returned home, a package arrived with my daughters "Rabbie" and a nice note from Disney that housekeeping had found it tucked in the sheets of the bed. 🥰

My DH lost his favorite golf hat on a Splash Mt. ride. It fell in the water. He was told it was unreturnable. He was crushed! After that incident, he remembers to take his hat off on rides.

When my daughter was 3 (now 36) we left her favorite lovey in the room when we checked out of the Polynesian. We did not realize it until we were at the airport. Called Disney L&F to report. We were delayed getting back home to TN because of a snow storm. The day we returned home, a package arrived with my daughters "Rabbie" and a nice note from Disney that housekeeping had found it tucked in the sheets of the bed. 🥰

My DH lost his favorite golf hat on a Splash Mt. ride. It fell in the water. He was told it was unreturnable. He was crushed! After that incident, he remembers to take his hat off on rides.
My DD left a beloved stuff animal in a hotel room once, not at Disney. We didn’t realize it until we were at the airport to depart. I called, explained the situation and that it was probably folded up in the pullout couch and gave our room number. I got the run-around. I kept calling after we for home, hoping they would get so annoyed they would try to find it just to make me stop. But nothing ever came of it. It was so disappointing. Apparently none of those employees had kids with special loveys:(

My brother did leave some shoes in the room at the Contemporary once and Disney mailed them back to us. If only that level of customer service existed everywhere.

We lost our son’s shoe near the Main Street entrance and it was found and shipped back home. I had tried to buy the same pair at the gift shop on Main Street and a wonderful CM gave a pair of shoes for free when she saw our son without shoes.

A CM forgot to return my husbands credit card at an Epcot booth and we found it at lost and found later that day (they did verify identity before giving it back).

Pre COVId, In a bathroom I saw a pair of Minnie ears . I alerted the cleaning crew. She didn’t take any action immediately. Then she just started sweeping a clean floor. After some time I saw her pick up the hat and I’m pretty sure she threw it in the trash as I walked out (possibly to retrieve later or just not have to fill a form).

My husband lost his favorite Food and Wine hat during MMRR and we were able to get it on our second Epcot day (they sweep the floors overnight).

Our DD lost her Pandora hat which was replaced from a damage one earlier in the trip on Disney transportation. Despite filling out a form it was never found (was in good condition). She also lost an Orange bird sipper near a popcorn cart, which I suppose no one returned.

We did encounter a British couple who had everything stolen (even their drinks) from their stroller when they went into the Disney Junior Dance party (including a child’s autograph book). They had left a gift shop bag with recent purchases in the basket. They were all so heartbroken. Our stroller was next to theirs and we tried (in vain) to help.

We’ve heard about things getting stolen before including strollers, so make sure you don’t leave anything valuable in there.

Last edited:
One year at MVMCP we left our bag of souvenirs we had bought along the parade route where we had watched it. Lots of stuff in there- party tshirts, the special pins, an ornament, and various other things. We didn’t actually realize we had lost it until we got home in PA days later and were looking through our souvenirs. I called the lost and found and about a week later got a call from central lost and found. They asked me to describe everything in the bag and I was able to. A couple days later we received a package in the mail with our bag and all of its contents. I was so surprised and impressed at how they handled it and found all of our items- some of which were irreplaceable unless we wanted to spend 10x their value buying them on eBay because they were sold out party items.

I lost a pair of prescription Ray-Ban sunglasses on a Disney Cruise. Was sitting on a chair and put them on a table. Walked back to our room, realized I left them there, went back and they were gone. I went to lost and found, they had a pair. I thought they were mine, but they were non-prescription, and I took them back. No one ever turned mine in, and the other pair were still there in the lost and found bin when we disembarked. Weird thing was that mine were in horrible shape. Chip off one of the arms, and circular scratches on the lenses because they spent about half an hour spinning around at the bottom of a water slide at Blizzard Beach (they wouldn't let me go in and get them myself). You would think they would turn them in just to get rid of them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter