Diaper Bags and Strollers

dlrhine

<font color=teal>DIS Veteran who was away for a wh
I was wondering if any of the mothers with more than one child can advise what is a good diaper bag and a good double stroller for vacations. I have been to Disney a million times and was on the college program so I'm very good at getting around in the parks. The problem is I'm not use to getting around with two little ones in tow. Last time I was there I had my dd who at the time was 10 months now she is 2 and my other dd is 7months (yes less than a 1.5 apart). We are going in Dec. which is 11 months away however any information will be a help to me now even when I'm just out and about or on other mini vacations this summer. Thanks

I'd recommend the Combi Twin Savvy. It was my double when my kids were younger and it was GREAT!!! It's the only double stroller than can hold 45 lbs on each side, so it will definately last you awhile. It's also a side by side, which Iprefer, since I always felt one child was kind of "stuck" in the back. It does have a front bar for each child, which is great for attaching toys and such. Also, two separate sunshades which can help stop a lot of fights!!!! Both seats fully reclined as well, great for those naps!!!! For a diaper bag, I never carted too much stuff to the parks, so I'm probably not much help. I actually broght the diaper bag I was given in the hospital, since it was the smallest one I could find. All I ever brought to the parks with me was bottles if necessary, diapers, wipes, cheerios, and a few small toys to amuse them at sit down restaurants. That's it, and I never needed anything else.

We just came back from taking our 2 kids to WDW. My DD is 2 1/2 and my DS is 7 months old.

IMHO, the best diaper bag for the parks is a backpack. It's much easier to carry on those occasions you need to (like getting on and off the bus). DH would put the backpack on and carry the double stroller onto the bus, and I'd carry the baby and hold my DDs hand. I wore a fanny pack that held my money, camera and our tickets but I left the backpack/diaper bag in the basket under the stroller.

We have a Graco dou-glider (something like that). It worked fine. The baby didn't mind riding in the back, and it reclines flat which was great for naps. Actually, here's a picture of them sleeping in it at the Animal Kingdom last week:

gallery_image.asp

They both napped well in it, and I'd highly recommend it.

My DDs are also less than a year and half apart (15 1/2 mos, actually), now 33 mos and 18 mos. I am a bit of a stroller junkie and have had five double strollers (still have 3!). One of which is the Combi Twin Savvy, which I love. It is very lightweight, easy to manuever and full-featured. My only problem with it is that my older DD puts her feet on the wheels ALL the time and it drives me nuts! I'm actually thinking of selling it for this reason. I have travelled with it before and it worked out very well.

We are going to Disney in April and I will be bringing two single strollers, since there will be four adults and just the two little ones. I would like to be able to split up, if only one of them needs a diaper change, or falls asleep, etc. I also think they'll be more likely to sleep in a single.

As far as the diaper bag, I wholeheartedly agree with the suggestion of the backpack. Mine has been a godsend!

Good luck to you, and have fun!

Keep the suggestions coming I really do appreciate this very much!! I was wondering what specific brand of backpack or Diaper Bag you find good. Durable, good size, easy to use, and compartments to hold stuff. Also I appreciate the suggestions on the strollers any more input is very welcomed, my husband will enjoy seeing the response also. Thanks again for your help.

We bought a "Sport Baby" backpack diaper bag when we had DD#1 at Babies R Us. It has been fantastic for trips, even now that we have DD#2. It has a cooler pocket, large and small outer pockets, big middle section with a divider and a little zip up pocket that we use for kids silverware, Tylenol and a binkie. I haven't ever seen one I'd like better than what I have, and it is plain navy blue so DH has always been willing to carry it too. It was the type that if you didn't know it was a diaper bag you would just think it was a school backpack. We can carry diapers, pull ups, wipes, snacks, toys, changes of clothes, and a blanket and still be able to easily open and close it.

Can't offer advice on the stroller - we decided that the double was too heavy and got 2 singles that I was very happy with.

Another vote for backpack! We completely wore out our pack on our last trip. It had been on 4 trips and just about gave up the ghost the last day (the straps were pulling out) Bought a brand new pack for this year even though all the kids are potty trained and we don't need a real "diaper" bag (woo hoo) But we always need changes of socks (especially after "you will get wet, you may get soaked") and sometimes a change of clothes, film, batteries, wipes for our hands, antibacterial gel, sunglasses, water bottles, etc.

:earsgirl:

Another vote for a backpack. Easy to grab, easy to get things out of, etc. We used two full sized strollers (1-1/2 and 3-1/2 year old sons) and it worked out wonderfully. I found, however, that I overpacked big time the first day and didn't use half of what I brought. Once I got it down re:what I really needed to take, it all fit nicely in the backpack.

Pam

Can anyone recommend a specific brand/model of diaper backpack they've used and been pleased with? We'll be taking our 1-YO DD in May, and would love recommendations from veterans!:D

I just used a 'regular' backpack. It fit enough diapers, wipes, and bottles (we used powdered formula and just mixed it as we needed bottles) to last the whole day.

Originally posted by Figment&Piglet
Can anyone recommend a specific brand/model of diaper backpack they've used and been pleased with? We'll be taking our 1-YO DD in May, and would love recommendations from veterans!:D

Try the Lands End or LL Bean website. I believe they both have a backpack diaper bag. I've had my Lands End bag for YEARS. They are fabulous!

As for the stroller...we've had the Graco Duo...which is nice and comfy for the kids with plenty of storage (and "stadium seating" so the kid in the back can see too). However...it is HEAVY...and very cumbersome to fold and get on the busses and trains. I'd go with the lightest one possible. I borrowed a Combi single from a friend and I love it. The European style strollers usually cost more...but weigh a LOT less. Big wheels is also a great thing to look for in a stroller...better manuverability!

I vote for the backpack and the Combi Twin Savvy. We have used both several times at WDW. Although I am not a big fan of the Combi single strollers, I loved my Twin Savvy. It was worth every penny! I had no problem getting around b/c the Combi is a couple inches smaller than the normal side by side and it folds up great. The only problem I had was getting on the monorail. You either have to go in a handicap car (which are often available, but can only be used if someone in a wheelchair does not need it) or fold the stroller up.

I found that post 911 a backpack can be comberson. When we were there last Dec 2001 they checked every zipper and compartment you had. After one day I bought a new WDW leather bag that had 2 compartments and I just love it (it was only 20$) Less can be more when traveling. I don't know if the searches are as intense as they used to be but you may want to consider this if your backpack has many compartments.

I have heard good things about the Graco double strollers. I have no personal experience with them though. As far as diaper bags, we used a regular backpack with 2 outside pockets and a suede bottom for our last trip. If you really want to go with an actual diaper bag vs a backpack, I recommend you get one that is the canvas type material, not the plastic sort of material or liners most commonly seen. The plastic tends to rip or break up over time. We currently use an Eddie Bauer diaper bag, I think I got it at Walmart, and have also seen them at Target. I forget how much it cost, but I have had mine for a couple years now and it has held up well. They also come in 2 different sizes, we have the small size one, as it works well for us and I hate hauling around one of those huge bags. Although the huge size is available and I have seen lots of people carrying the huge bags around, just not my style. If you really don't want to carry a huge bag, put the diapers in a plastic bag and just leave it in the bottom of the stoller, any other essentials, like bottles, change clothes, etc you can put in the diaperbag. My thought was if someone was so hard up for a few diapers they were welcome to them, I did carry a few in the diaper bag though, just incase the others disappeared, but they never did.

Oh, our small diaper bag has 2 smaller zip up compartments, one on either end, mesh areas on both ends and the front (don't hold much if the bag itself is full though) and then one middle compartment with elastic bands in it to hold bottles, or what not. don't recall how the larger bag is set up though. Our bag is navy blue, and I have also seem them in hunter green.

When we went when the youngest ones were about 1 and 3, we took two full sized strollers and it worked out great. We had enough room to carry all our stuff, each one could nap comfortably, and my husband and I each had a cup holder and tray.

Originally posted by DisneyPhD
I found that post 911 a backpack can be comberson. When we were there last Dec 2001 they checked every zipper and compartment you had. After one day I bought a new WDW leather bag that had 2 compartments and I just love it (it was only 20$) Less can be more when traveling. I don't know if the searches are as intense as they used to be but you may want to consider this if your backpack has many compartments.

yes, they still do the thorough search.

this was my only problem with my diaper back pack when i was there 3 wks ago. i became a pro at zipping, unzipping, pulling stuff out of the bag etc, in record times.

i still would bring the backpack though, it was great to have dh lug it around :D

i used one i got at BRU...i think the mfg is baby trend? it was $30.

I have the Lands End Backpack (in black so Dad can carry it too)
It has several compartments and pockets so it is easy to keep things organized. It is very comfortable to carry even when it is jammed full of stuff. We have had it for years with 3 girls it gets alot of abuse and still looks great. I highly recommend it. As far as stroller advice... I am no help-- I am looking for a perfect solution for my 3 girls (1, 3, 6) for our trip in April.

r3ngles
We traveled in Dec with children ages 1.5, 3.5, 3.5, 6. We brought a light-weight single stroller for the baby so that we always had something for her to nap in. We then rented a double stroller for the 3 year olds and sometimes a single for the 6 year-old. This worked out great. I think if you brought a single and rented a double for the older two it would work out great. The 6 year-old we traveled with was way too big for a traditional stroller but was very comfortable in the rented one.

I vote for the Lands End BackPack Diaper Bag. Here's a link to their site:
http://www.landsend.com/cd/fp/prod/...734_5:view=-1,00.html?sid=4423087354799155040

I buy these for baby showers and everyone is always raving about them. You really can't go wrong with this type of bag or any of the Lands End or LL Bean diaper bags. Just depends on what you will need to carry in the packs everyday.

As far as strollers, I only have 1 child, but can attest to the high quality of Combi strollers. We have a travel saavy model and it was great last time we visited WDW. Holds a heavier child and folded up to the size of an umbrella stroller-amazing!

Good luck!

We were at WDW in October with our 3 y/o and 1 y/o. We bought 2 inexpensive reclining umbrella strollers (there were four adults on this trip, so it was not a problem having two separate strollers). We chose umbrella strollers because the airline said that was the only type of stroller we would be allowed to check at the gate, and we felt that we'd really need the stroller to get to the gate, bag claim, etc., especially since the 1 y/o was not yet walking.

As far as diaper bags, I used my regular bulky one, which I will not do next time. But, I also bought stroller saddle bags from the One Step Ahead catalog. They are small bags that attach to the side of the stroller. They were perfect for storing the kids' snacks, sippy cups, sunblock, etc. My 3y/o could just reach down and get her snack or drink whenever she needed it, which was great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter