Diaper Bags and Strollers

Originally posted by dlrhine
I was wondering what specific brand of backpack or Diaper Bag you find good. Durable, good size, easy to use, and compartments to hold stuff.

Remember that you have to take that backpack through security and too many pockets will really slow you down. We used a large clear backpack and put everything inside in ziploc bags. A quick look and we were through!

Yes, every bag is checked at the gate-every diaper bag, camera bag, fanny pack, purse, etc.... so be prepared. I usually waited on que and took the backpack, my fanny pack and my mom's. Then DH pushed DS thru the entrance with the stroller and my mom followed him in her ECV. That way we all got thru the line at the about the same time and met just inside the park entrance and to the right. Made more sense than having them stop and check each of us individually since I was carrying all the packs and backpack.

And plastic bags are the way to go if you don't want a stranger going thru your things. That way they can see everything by looking at the bag.

HTH!

ALSO-the stroller saddle bags are on sale right now at One Step Ahead:
http://www.onestepahead.com/jump.js...ODUCT&iMainCat=117&iSubCat=12&iProductID=1358

5.95 each or 2 for 7.95. Not sure what they charge for shipping but this seems like a good deal!

We use an Eddie Bauer backpack normally but brought the plain old book bag type to WDW. We also minimized the stuff in it as much as possible.

Things I used just for the trip:
-little packs of baby wipes (CVS $0.99) instead of the plastic box
-disposable changing pads instead of big one
-zip loc bag with a few diapers. replaced each day.
-individually wrapped handi wipes

also
-disposable sippy cups
-boxes of milk (bordens or parmalot)
-bottled water (DS doesn't drink juice much)

I can't help with double strollers, but for the 7 month old, you might want to consider a baby bjorn carrier. It's a nice break for your arms!

We took our own stroller. We avoided the diaper bag in parks because of security. Since we stayed on-site, we used separage zip lock bags for diapers,wipes,change clothes,. Took up a lot less space and breezed through security tables

We jsut got back not quite two weeks ago. I agonized over the stroller issue. My children are 4 (will be 5 next month), 3 and 15 months. They are all tall for their ages, so I needed a stroller that could handle a lot of weight.

After researching the message boards at www.windsorpeak.com , I came up a Mountain Buggy. I had never heard of this brand. I had even gone so far as to drive 35 miles to try out a Maclaren double stroller, but my oldest child was too tall and heavy for this.

I latched on to the idea of a Mountain Buggy and started finding out all I could on it. First off, it is hideously expensive. But, I deducted the cost of renting a double from Disney for 8 days and that helped a little. Though pricey, it fit the bill as far as being able to handle two heavy, tall kids. the oldest is almost too tall for this but she loves riding in it so much that she will probably just scrunch down to still fit.

I ordered this buggy sight unseen (except for internet pics) from www.baby-outfitters.com (excellent customer service). They got it to me in time (ordered it with only 1.5 weeks to go until the trip).

I opened the box up and fell in love with this thing on sight. It is a double jogging stroller that folds up to a very reasonable size. The front wheels swivel, which is the trick to it steering like a dream (even with both big kids in it, I can steer it with one hand). It is also very narrow thanks to its design, so it fits through all Disney gates and doors. We even rolled it right on to the boats that run between Epcot and MGM. We did not take it on the Monorail or a bus, but it folds so DH could drag it on.

It is not a lightweight stroller by any means. It is heavy. But when you are talking about putting heavy larger children in it, heavy is not such a bad thing. Also, it steers well even when there is a large difference between the weights of the two children in the buggy (doesn't pull to the heavy side).

I have heard good and bad about Combis (some of the bad had to do with quality issues - ie - the handle bars splitting or breaking) but I have never heard of a quality issue with a MB. Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions.

My only regret is that I did not find out about this stroller sooner (rented trip before last and that money could have gone toward paying for my MB)

Hope that helps.

Amy

Originally posted by gravymom
I have heard good and bad about Combis (some of the bad had to do with quality issues - ie - the handle bars splitting or breaking) but I have never heard of a quality issue with a MB. Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions.

I am bit of a stroller junkie myself and have also heard excellent things about the Mountain Buggy. Regarding the Combi problems, there was a defect on the 2001 Twin Savvy models which has since been corrected. Don't buy a 2001 Twin Savvy if you see one on EBay or elsewhere. I have a 2002 model and definitely recommend it.

Jo

I have now been 3 times with mt 2 year old twins. I say no way to the back pack......It was hot and annoying to have the strap all day on my shoulder. one baby on each hip and the bag to much.... we used a cheapo cooler bag like a 6 pack size, waterproof only the main zip top to go through, each baby got one extra outfit, if you roll it up,{ the outfit} it will fit just fine. it has a small loop to hang on the carriage or a shoulder strap for when you fold. the plus is the short loop it does not drag. we also carried those stickie place mats so the babies would have a clean surface at the table. Toys r us carries them. They are easy to carry and worth the piece of mind. also if you bring bottles freeze your milk. for example if you think you will need 3 bottles, freeze one a third, one halfway, and one a fourth. this will eliminate the need to carry bottles and ice. you serve as they melt. you are assured the milk is fresh for every bottle not just the ones closet to the ice pack. as for strollers I am a stroller junkie as well and am reticent to say. I own the Graco duo glider, the graco euro duoglider, the kolcraft reclining umbrella. and the PEg Perego Aria twin. The first 3 have all made the trip once, and with varying degrees of sucess. I purchased the Perego for our May trip and am not happy with it at all. the babies put thier feet on the wheels we constantly are getting hung up. it is very light easy to fold and carry but maddening to push. as such, it looks like my Kolcraft umbrella will be making the trip in may. It was the most functional as far as travel for us. ironic the cheapest of my fleet...is the one that makes the cut. Also I have found when the babies are done for the day and the rest of our family is not done for the day, It is impossible for mom alone to fold the stroller, hold 2 babies and the bag, and the stroller, and board a bus or a tram to the car. on the last trip I got smart, and simply walk to the cab stand all the parks have them. stroller goes in the trunk, and we are safely taken back to the resort. No they are not in the carseat for a short ride, But I firmly believe it is safer overall then trying to juggle them alone on a tram or a bus, they are not in a seat in the bus, or tram either. and I do not have one running left and the other right while I fold the stroller. It also gives me the freedom to be able to say( and mean it) you stay we will meet you later, I can get back myself. I also like to stay at the Boardwalk/ Beachclub and walk over to the Epcot gateway, and walk on in, And walk the walkway to MGM same reason. The ticket and transportation center is awful... for that reason we ar splitting our stay and staying at Wilderness logde so that We can take the resort launch to The magic Kingdom, roll the stroller on and off. Good luck and Have fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter