Did anyone send their kids to school today? (Fri. Dec 21)

FigmentSpark

DIS Veteran
My younger one went because he wanted to do the fun stuff. The older one said his teachers highly encouraged them to stay home, probably so they wouldn't have to be in class. So many kids miss today, apparently, that they can't teach anything new anyway.

Mine are in high school, so maybe elementary school is different.

Last edited:
I sent mine, never occurred to me not to. He's missed enough already this year for being sick and doctor's appointments and we're pulling him out for 5 days in January to got to WDW. I'll be a fun day! And they are off at 2:30.

I refused to let mine stay home today. The younger one still has outstanding assignments to finish! He can darn well go to school.

Seriously though, the school is too soft and too worried about parents. My son said they watched movies yesterday and will again today. As far as I'm concerned the movies should be earned. All the kids who are up-to-date in their work can go in one classroom and watch the movies. The other kids can spend their school hours finishing their work! But nope. The parents would probably complain how their child missed out on the fun because they were a little behind... (rolling eyes here)

Mine has been having a lot of trouble in school and hates it. I made the mistake of telling him there was a chance of no buses due to freezing rain and when it didn't happen he was quite upset. I didn't really want to go out any way, so we're home! Vacation started early :)

The teachers are there in the class whether the kids are there or not, so there isn't really much benefit to them for telling kids to stay home. DW laments the lost teaching time for the couple of days just before Christmas. It is very difficult to introduce new material if half the class is absent. So sometimes there are movies in her class too, but they are always selected with curriculum in mind to spark thought and discussion on topics that are relevant to learning. (I know because I often get to enjoy previewing the shows before they are selected - and it can be a painstaking and laborious process to find something appropriate).

If your kids "just watched a movie", ask them what they watched, and what they learned from it. The answers may surprise you.

The teachers are there in the class whether the kids are there or not, so there isn't really much benefit to them for telling kids to stay home. DW laments the lost teaching time for the couple of days just before Christmas. It is very difficult to introduce new material if half the class is absent. So sometimes there are movies in her class too, but they are always selected with curriculum in mind to spark thought and discussion on topics that are relevant to learning. (I know because I often get to enjoy previewing the shows before they are selected - and it can be a painstaking and laborious process to find something appropriate).

If your kids "just watched a movie", ask them what they watched, and what they learned from it. The answers may surprise you.
I find it hard to believe that the teachers encouraged them to stay home. It will get a teacher in hot water to do that here.... Seriously.

I find it hard to believe that the teachers encouraged them to stay home. It will get a teacher in hot water to do that here.... Seriously.
Wouldn’t surprise if it were true. I’ve heard that before from my nieces and nephews, and my dd, in grade nine this year, has had several days where there has been no lesson plan, no teaching. Just yesterday, I picked dd up early because they were just sitting around in the gym and she had an essay she would rather do. We are new to the school system and I have to say—not impressed. If you are at school, there should be work. So many wasted days.

My oldest is already at home, her high school is smart, they did a shortened day, last period was lunch at 12, so naturally everyone including the teachers went home. They did nothing yesterday and today. My son in gr 7 is getting dismissed at 1:30, he has done nothing all week except movies and parties. Yesterday I think they watched Home Alone in math class. Next year we will take them out the week before Xmas to travel. No point just hanging around...

My oldest is already at home, her high school is smart, they did a shortened day, last period was lunch at 12, so naturally everyone including the teachers went home. They did nothing yesterday and today. My son in gr 7 is getting dismissed at 1:30, he has done nothing all week except movies and parties. Yesterday I think they watched Home Alone in math class. Next year we will take them out the week before Xmas to travel. No point just hanging around...
Does that make you angry? This is a touchy subject with me this week so this thread is timely. I’m a teacher by profession myself, and I can tell you that if it was an instructional day, I was teaching, regardless if it was the week before Christmas, the Last day of school, whatever. I can’t believe that whole weeks are wasted. You paid for instruction this week and were not given any. Terrible.

In my daughter’s case, the English teacher has not done work on several days, but sees no reason not to send projects home over the break. She is scrambling to finish the curriculum.

It sends a terrible message about work ethic to our kids when schools waste days. It’s a disgrace.

Wouldn’t surprise if it were true. I’ve heard that before from my nieces and nephews, and my dd, in grade nine this year, has had several days where there has been no lesson plan, no teaching. Just yesterday, I picked dd up early because they were just sitting around in the gym and she had an essay she would rather do. We are new to the school system and I have to say—not impressed. If you are at school, there should be work. So many wasted days.
Yeah. That’s unacceptable. Here we’re not even allowed to show films before breaks, even if related to curriculum. My only problem with teaching right up to breaks is students pulled out before breaks expecting me to reteach the material.

Is this a private school?!? The school calendar is set by the province & this is not allowed. Teachers are still expected to provide sick notes when absent directly before or after holidays (even when the law was to the contrary). Closing an entire school is not above board.

Not sure why you are quoting me on this, that is exactly what I am saying? It's the OP who said kids were encouraged to stay home.

My ds14 wanted to go. He’s about to have two weeks off so there was no point in staying home. His teachers work hard and work the students hard. They had regular curriculum up until today, and I think today they will relax a bit and have some fun. I do know he had a few things he wanted to bring home to work on over the break too.

My younger went and had fun. 3 of 4 periods were "free periods", so in gym they just got to play with whatever they wanted. In Math, they were pretty much all on their phones :( . Geography was a study class and his last class was a games class, which they all carried into their lunch period.

My older one stayed home, but we made him clean his room and pack for our trip. :P

Our Ottawa Catholic school seemed to encourage kids to stay home due to expected freezing rain. I ended up letting my 6 year old stay home because they were going to have a substitute anyways.....I work from home so I let the kid stay up late on our backyard rink last night and sleep in today

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter