Did I even go on vacation?

MKismylaughingplace

Earning My Ears
Just wondering if I'm the only one who experiences this. We just got back from a week long trip to Disney World. We had plenty of time in the parks with a 7 day park hopper, and stayed on Disney property so we never had to leave the "magic." I remember everything about the vacation, came home with tons of pictures and souvenirs, yet looking back on the trip as a whole I almost feel like it went by so fast it didn't even happen. Or I feel like it happened months ago rather than a few days ago. I've been to Disney many times, but only the last few times I've felt this way after coming home. Does anyone else experience this?

Yes! Almost everytime. I will think it's been a long time and realize it was only a month. I don't know if it is because I love Disney so much I just want to be there longer and always, or if I was so busy I forgot to slow down and savor each day.

Haha! I was just having this conversation last night when the idea of shortening our trip upcoming trip came up due to the fact that more family is coming than originally planned and we don't want them to get "bored." :rotfl2: I use to get the same feeling as you, too. Adding an extra day or two to my trips helps it not feel like it was eons ago when I get home. I think taking a full day in the middle of the trip to do absolutely nothing Disney related for the day helps break it up so it sticks a little better in your mind. We'll go to the Space Center, explore Celebration, head to a mall, etc. Once we even ventured over to Universal for a couple days (bad idea to do that in the middle of a Disney vacation. At the start, sure. In the middle all I heard was comparative complaining. i.e. why did we have to pay for a 'fast pass", why is there no where to eat, why don't they follow a central hub layout :sad2:). During the Christmas season, I do like to stay on property for my "off" day just enjoying the decorations at various resorts. But otherwise, a day off works great for me. It gives me a tiny little opportunity to miss it while still being able to be there. That way, when I go home, I've kind of already dealt with that emotion and can focus on the feelings of being there. Then I don't feel as though it was such a whirlwind that flew by so fast that I feel like it never even happened or as though it was forever ago.

I've also stopped looking at photos I've taken throughout the trip while still on the trip. I know that's super hard to do, but I stopped. I don't look at pictures until I'm home now. Then it's a fresher memory for me, because it's the first time I'm seeing the moment while I'm removed from it. I also bring a few "scents" home with me. I know that might sound cheesy, but it works. Every time I smell those H2O lotions in stores, I'm right back at Disney.

And of course, as soon as I get home, I'm making a list of all the new things I didn't get to do or try, and start planning the next trip based on those things so I have something to look forward to. You can never say you've seen everything at Disney World.

That has been my experience everytime I went. This time, I scheduled longer trips, 12 days and 14 days.

Once we even ventured over to Universal for a couple days (bad idea to do that in the middle of a Disney vacation. At the start, sure. In the middle all I heard was comparative complaining. i.e. why did we have to pay for a 'fast pass", why is there no where to eat, why don't they follow a central hub layout :sad2:).

See, we did Universal our first day of the trip last month, and it wasn't a good idea. Diagon Alley was very very cool, but by the afternoon I had this dread in my stomach, thinking, "Is this really as good as this trip is going to be? Did I misremember how much I love this stuff? Did we waste our money?" Because while I certainly enjoy Universal and I would probably go there all the time if I lived near it, apart from the flashy new Harry Potter stuff it just feels...like an amusement park. I could drive up to Idaho on a weekend if I just wanted an amusement park, and I could do it for a heck of a lot less money. I was so relieved when we went to the Magic Kingdom the next day and the feeling of it was completely different. I think having a Universal day in the middle is good (we did two, but in hindsight I think we could have gotten the same amount done if we'd done a single day with their version of the fastpass -- it'd cost the same as two days but then we'd've had a day free to rest and play around at the resort) because they do have some very cool attractions and it helps break up the trip, but I wouldn't do it right at the start again.

Right after the trip I did feel like we'd done something substantial, but even a week later people would ask me about it and I'd be surprised, like they were asking about something that happened ages ago. The part that really went by blindingly fast was the Halloween party. We got to the Magic Kingdom as it was starting and we definitely got a lot in, but then suddenly it was midnight and it still felt like we'd just walked in the front gate twenty minutes ago.

Haha! I was just having this conversation last night when the idea of shortening our trip upcoming trip came up due to the fact that more family is coming than originally planned and we don't want them to get "bored." :rotfl2: I use to get the same feeling as you, too. Adding an extra day or two to my trips helps it not feel like it was eons ago when I get home. I think taking a full day in the middle of the trip to do absolutely nothing Disney related for the day helps break it up so it sticks a little better in your mind. We'll go to the Space Center, explore Celebration, head to a mall, etc. Once we even ventured over to Universal for a couple days (bad idea to do that in the middle of a Disney vacation. At the start, sure. In the middle all I heard was comparative complaining. i.e. why did we have to pay for a 'fast pass", why is there no where to eat, why don't they follow a central hub layout :sad2:). During the Christmas season, I do like to stay on property for my "off" day just enjoying the decorations at various resorts. But otherwise, a day off works great for me. It gives me a tiny little opportunity to miss it while still being able to be there. That way, when I go home, I've kind of already dealt with that emotion and can focus on the feelings of being there. Then I don't feel as though it was such a whirlwind that flew by so fast that I feel like it never even happened or as though it was forever ago.

I've also stopped looking at photos I've taken throughout the trip while still on the trip. I know that's super hard to do, but I stopped. I don't look at pictures until I'm home now. Then it's a fresher memory for me, because it's the first time I'm seeing the moment while I'm removed from it. I also bring a few "scents" home with me. I know that might sound cheesy, but it works. Every time I smell those H2O lotions in stores, I'm right back at Disney.

And of course, as soon as I get home, I'm making a list of all the new things I didn't get to do or try, and start planning the next trip based on those things so I have something to look forward to. You can never say you've seen everything at Disney World.

Taking a day off in the middle is a really good idea, I was just talking DH about this! I think it would help us slow down, take a break from the craziness of the parks and just enjoy being on vacation. And I think having a day to miss it would help me not to take it for granted as much while I'm there :-)

When we booked our trip I wanted to stay long enough to be like "is it time to go home yet"? So we booked for 10 days, went to parks multiple times and even took a day off but it still wasn't enough time to feel..........satisfied. We live on the west coast so we don't go every year but next time we'll have to lengthen our stay maybe another 4-5 days or so.

I know the feing you are talking about. I think sometimes that happens because we are racing around so fast and are thinking about what cones next rather than being in the moment. On our last trip we scheduled lots of pool time. We didn't go to the parks at all the day we arrived and had a full pool day in the middle. We also didn't go RD to close at all. Only did 3/4 park days. By the time we left it felt like my whole state of being had slowed down. Which was great.

Last time we went my husband and I felt we needed a vacation afterDisney it was so crazy and busy and almost no down time. I was so burnt out.

I know how you feel. I remember last time we went being in bed after I got home with all the memories going through my head wondering, 'did I really go to Disneyworld and I'm home already?' It's almost a surreal feeling to me, like it all happened to someone else even though I'm always exhausted so it must have been me.

This all sounds familiar to me. Along with the attendance I feel that the stress level in the parks has been rising over the years. Being an introvert dealing with the larger crowds adds to the stress. Our response has been longer and less intensely planned visits. Over the years we extended our stays from 6 to 7 and then to 8 nights. With planned 'off' days. More recently we shifted to staying at an off site villa so that we could afford 10 to 12 day visits. This also gives us a comfortable place to really relax and enjoy those 'off' days. The 10-12 day visits also left the necessary day or two of recovery time at the end of the two week vacation from work.

Now that I am retired we are blessed with the opportunity to enjoy longer, even more relaxed visits.

I get that feeling every single time. Mine always starts on the ride home. The rest of the family is asleep and I have the first 4 hours of the drive alone with all of my thoughts and memories about the trip and it's almost a blur. Our last trip was only 4 nights so that one really flew by! I have been looking forward to our next trip since driving under the sign on the way home in September.

Lol...this is why I love the boards...I always feel exactly the same way. We've decided to get annual passes and we usually always have one vacation (even if it's really far away) planned. Knowing the date when we'll be back, makes getting home easier.

Lol...this is why I love the boards...I always feel exactly the same way. We've decided to get annual passes and we usually always have one vacation (even if it's really far away) planned. Knowing the date when we'll be back, makes getting home easier.

ahhh... getting annual passes... the first step towards multiple trips per year.

Isn't it amazing how anticipation can have a positive effect your mood. It works for me too!

Since my trips are usually 4 and a half to 5 days long, I know the feeling of the trip just flying by. I'm not able make the trips longer so I just enjoy the pictures after.

I do have an AP but it's looking more and more like this will be my last one for a few years so I really need to enjoy the short trips as much as I can.

Definitely agree with taking some down time at some point during the trip helps us.
Plus, every evening we re-cap our favorite part(s) of the day.
On the drive home, we make a list of pros and cons from the trip.
After we come home, we spend about a week reminiscing.
Then I begin to plan our next trip while everything is still fresh.

I worked at Disney for 4 months. I've been home for about 2 months now and I keep looking back and wondering if it was all a dream. Did it actually happen? How did it go by so fast????

We just got back from WDW less than a month ago - it was my first time to one of the parks. It was very much a bucketlist trip I never thought would happen. Why I didn't book more than 6 days I'll never know. It went by so fast! I still can't seem to do anything other than think about all things Disney! We weren't even back to reality before we were already planning our Disney Cruise in 2017!

I think it's something they put in the Dole Whip. Which would make sense as I recall consuming about 9 of them. lol

No matter how much time you have it always goes by so fast that I wonder if it was all a dream, did two trips of 14 days in 2013 and at the end of both trips all I thought was "I need another week"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter