Did I screw up? Plaza Hotel, Vegas

MrsPete

DIS Veteran
We're flying into Vegas to begin our Western driving trip. It's a long flight, we'll arrive around 7:00 PM, which'll feel more like 10:00 PM to us East Coast folks. By the time we can get our luggage and rental car, we'll be ready to head to our hotel. We intend to head out to the Grand Canyon the next day.

We'll "do" Vegas at the end of our 2.5 week trip, and I don't have a hotel for that yet -- since we'll stay a couple days then, I do care about having a nice place with a great pool, but that's another question for later.

Anyway, I thought I'd try to get a cheap-o hotel for that first night -- after all, we're just looking for a place to sleep for one night, right? Well, on Priceline I "won" the Plaza Hotel in Downtown Vegas, and the reviews I'm reading aren't all that good. I didn't read anything that made me think it's in a dangerous neighborhood, but I read things like "hasn't had much maintenance since the 80s", "low price is the only appealing part of this hotel", and "appeals to lower-class older couples". We're the type of people who like to stay in a nice place, but we aren't put off by imperfect paint, and we aren't going to cry that our trip was ruined because some tiles were missing in our bathroom. On the other hand, we do want a clean room with a comfortable bed.

Any personal experience with this place? Priceline's never let me down before, but I'm wondering if this'll start our trip on a bad note.

I've been to the Union Plaza hotel but haven't stayed there.

It is not that bad of a hotel. Yes, the downtown properties are older and less glitzy than their counterparts on the strip but since you're there for only one night, I wouldn't change my plans.

I've been to the Union Plaza hotel but haven't stayed there.

It is not that bad of a hotel. Yes, the downtown properties are older and less glitzy than their counterparts on the strip but since you're there for only one night, I wouldn't change my plans.
Well, honestly, that's the answer for which I was hoping -- I didn't expect anyone to say, "Wow, you lucky dog!" I've stayed at the Riviera. Would it be in that category? Old and dated, but perfectly clean and safe? If so, I'm fine with it.

Thanks for your reply!

I've never stayed off the strip,but did visit the downtown and went inside the Plaza mostly because I remember the front of the hotel in Back to the Future 2.What I remember about the hotel was that it did look and smell old inside.Maybe the rooms were different but I know I remember the old,musty smell as I steeped inside the hotel.

It IS old. Nearly 40 years. And it's kind of historic.
It's also safe and clean. I like it and I like downtown Vegas.
I like the Rat Pack show there and the Lucky 7's Buffet is
really cheap - food isn't amazing, but it's tasty.

I've never stayed downtown, only on the strip. The airport is very close to the south end of the strip, downtown is quite a ways north of the main strip. I'm sure it will be fine for a night and it's paid for. Did you book a strip hotel for the end of your trip?

You will be fine in that hotel. DH and I did the same trip last year. Flew into Vegas from NJ, rented an SUV and then on to Flagstaff, then three nights in a cabin on the south rim of the Grand Canyon. Then, Monument Valley, Page AZ, Zion Nat'l Park, Bryce Canyon, and then back to Las Vegas for three nights before flying home. You will LOVE it out there! The scenery is so different and wonderful, I spent most of the trip in absolute awe - best trip of our life!

Thanks, all! I'm feeling better about my Priceline "win". Given that we're arriving in the early evening and that we're coming from the East Coast, I really think that once we get to Vegas all we'll care about is getting the rental car and hitting the bed. Since none of you said, "RUN FAST, RUN NOW!" I think the Plaza will be sufficient for our needs -- and the price was certainly right. I don't think it's the best Priceline has ever treated me, but I think I'm satisfied.

Downtown Las Vegas is certainly an interesting experience compared to the strip. Since it's only one night, I wouldn't worry about it. Try one of the really cheap meals that downtown is famous for then take in all the lights of the area. Then on your trip back, stay at a place on the strip for the sake of comparison.

Many of the big hotels on the strip offer great discount rates on their websites. Many weeknights they have rates from $60 - $80.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter