• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Did Joaquin hit CC? anyone know if there was any damage?

Shelebeen

DIS Veteran
I know the ships skipped it this week - but wondered if anyone had heard anything

I am sure they have precautions and plans for when hurricanes are in the area to prepare the grounds and either evacuate or make sure there are sufficient supplies for the CM who live on the island. Here is hoping that the CM are safe and are having a Disney hurricane party :)

So I asked the hubby to look at the Marine Tracker. This is what shows for the Dream.

He says this is what it normally looks like for the Dream to port at Castaway. This would be an approach at about 3 am. He says it doesn't usually show up as sitting at the island, like they turn off the tracking there. So, not absolutely definitive but it looks like they may have made port which would be a good sign.

I looked at the past few days weather report for Nassau and the winds didn't look bad at all. Nassau was about equidistant to the hurricane as CC is.

Disney stated Castaway Cay was not affected by hurricane Joaquin. It was the Fantasy's route from St. Thomas to Castaway Cay that was blocked. They showed a map that had us in the eye of the hurricane on the original route. Hence they skipped Castaway Cay and hugged the coast of Hispaniola and Cuba to skirt the hurricane.

Martin

I'm eagerly awaiting firsthand accounts from anyone who actually visits CC post hurricane Joaquin. Please share if you see anything and I will too!

I'm eagerly awaiting firsthand accounts from anyone who actually visits CC post hurricane Joaquin. Please share if you see anything and I will too!

A friend of mine was talking to a live aboard dive boat that was around Nassau. They were saying that things weren't bad around Nassau and it was still diveable so I would not expect too much damage in that area. Maybe some erosion but nothing major. That was as of Fri.

I was really sad when we received the news while on board the fantasy that we were not going to CC. Being my first cruise and first Disney cruise and being my honeymoon I was really looking forward to going to CC. However the wife and I decided to book another cruise late November 2016. Pretty rocking ride coming back to Port though.

We were on the dream and docked at castaway at 10:15am this past Saturday. Once we arrived the sun came out. Not damage to the island. It was just windy but water was warm.

I was really sad when we received the news while on board the fantasy that we were not going to CC. Being my first cruise and first Disney cruise and being my honeymoon I was really looking forward to going to CC. However the wife and I decided to book another cruise late November 2016. Pretty rocking ride coming back to Port though.

How did you handle the motion? My first cruise is Oct 31 and I am considering the patch, as I am worried about possible seasickness sneaking up on me.... however, that's powerful medication so I would truly prefer not to use anything if I could get away with having no adverse reactions to cruising! Just wondered how you found the movement especially since you where in rougher waters

Even when the seas are rough, I don't notice the ships movement much. Been through two hurricanes and those were some wild times and knew that a lot of the passengers had some difficulties but we were fine. But your average tropical storm is very tolerable. Watch the weather prior to your cruise and make a decision based upon that. We will be on the Fantasy just before you and the best thing about that it is the tail end of the hurricane season and we shouldn't see anything too ugly on the horizon.

I was on the Fantasy when we skipped Castaway Cay to skirt hurricane Joaquin. I was very surprised how well she handled 45-55 mph winds and 3-5 m seas. There was a considerable amount of motion Thursday evening and plenty of people were sick but it was not horrible. DW took Bonine but still had to skip dinner in the MDR. DS and I took no meds and had no problem with the motion. Dinner in Animator's Palate was interesting. Walking around I felt like a drunken' sailor. Also, I slept like a baby that night.

Martin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter