• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Did you ever receive a text from a stranger who thought you were someone else?

Yes and phone calls. I have had my number for 20+ years and am the only person to ever have my number. I have a friend who changes her number all the time so I have sent Birthday texts and gotten back thanks but not my birthday.

Yes. Funniest one was a woman texting me at 3am. Apparantly she was a 'worker's and Wayne was her new friend she 'worked' with that she met in the gas station parking lot. She would not believe I wasn't him. Finally she screenshot the contact and I pointed out she had flipped the last numbers. Boy was she embarrassed lol

My old land line number was one digit off from the local Social Security office. I got tons of wrong number calls, but the one that takes the cake was the old man who left his name and SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER on my answering machine. My outgoing message was "Hey, this is Joy, I'm not home right nor so leave a message" Who really thinks that is what the voice mail for the SS office sounds like????

These stories are crazy! Kinda feel like I'm missing out, never had a wrong text.

A few years ago one website had entered the wrong number for U-Haul ... yeah it was my cell. That got old. I had to keep telling them no I'm not U-Haul, just a middle aged woman. Thankfully it was changed, but it took a few months.

I did get a text a few weeks ago from the cell that is 1 digit away from mine. Said hello, phone neighbor! I laughed, but didn't respond.

I get these often, but it's never texts. Always calls. For a time years ago, people would call my cell thinking I was renting out a house or something. Apparently, whoever put out the ad or something must have had a similar number to mine and misprinted it. So for months, I got a lot of calls to the point where I had to change my away message. I don't usually answer calls I don't know. So these have usually been messages left in my voice mail.

I know - going off on a tangent......

I know someone who was a landlord for a fairly large apartment complex. She used to deal directly with tenants, but eventually got a few disgruntled tenants or former tenants calling her home phone to the point where she had it changed and unlisted (back when the default was to list in a standard phone book). I also remember a HS science teacher saying that he had his phone number unlisted because some of his students would harass him with calls at home. He mentioned it again and I said I looked in an older phone book at home because I was curious about it. He said he wasn't worried about me calling him.

Just the other week I got someone texting me randomly.

"Hi, are a guy?"

My reaction to which was "Why are you asking random people you don't know what their gender is?"

:crazy:

Received a reply to an email ABOUT me. Meant to be sent to the rest of the group! Ha. Made me laugh.

Not long after I first got a text-capable phone, I got a photo text from someone, and it had a kind of suggestive header on it. I didn't recognize the number, so I ignored the photo attachment and I texted back that I didn't recognize the number, and was he sure that he meant to send it to my number? 30 seconds later I got another text: "OMG .... PLEASE don't open that photo. I'm SO sorry, I sent it to the wrong phone. PLEASE delete it without opening it!" Naturally, I got a really good laugh out of that one, but I didn't open the photo.

Got a text last year.

What's up, Hot f***er? with emoji
I ignore it.
then a creepy selfie of some guy.( must be texter )
Third text "I'm Here"
It freaked my out a bit since the area code he texted from was out west and I'm on the east coast.
I'm sure if I was female it would be pretty scary. Stalker material.
Then he calls. I said dude wrong number and hung up.

yes! i think it was my last year of undergrad i got a text from someone in a frat who was trying to recruit the person he was intending to text. i went with it, always responded that i'd be at the event.

I got calls at all hours of the night for an Amanda Hessels (not sure if the name is right, but it's close enough...) from her drunk party friends asking Mandy if she was busy or wanted to come out with them that night. I would say that Amanda doesn't have this phone anymore and stop calling it. More than once the guys would say I sounded cute and did I want to go out.....

I'd either say I'll check with my husband, or just put him on the line, haha.

Those calls, although annoying, were kind of fun. The seriously irritating ones were the bill collectors calling for her all the time. It got to the point where the party friend conversations would go like this:

Them: Uh..hi. Is Mandy there?

Me: No, she doesn't have this phone # anymore.

Them: Do you know what phone # she has now?

Me: Dude, I don't even know your friend Mandy, so no. But do me a favor and if you ever talk to her again, let her know she has lawyers and bill collectors calling for her every day so she might want to take care of her bills. Hope everything's working out for her....bye!

Speaking of....It's been a while since I've gotten calls for Amanda. I wonder how she's doing?!

Not text, but I used to get phone calls and messages for "Cookie" from "Jim." I would say that they had the wrong number and Jim would say "I know it's you, Cookie. Look, I said I was sorry. Please talk to me." No matter how much I tried to convince him that I wasn't Cookie he kept on. It went on for quite a while then suddenly stopped. I hope Cookie and Jim worked things out.

When my daughter was about 13 years old she received calls about her supposed car loan applications. This went on for months and they would leave lengthy messages. One day she finally answered and said, I would love to have a car but I'm 13 and don't have a permit yet. Can I still come test drive??

I got a text a couple of years ago from someone who thought I was Catherine Bell (JAG, The Good Witch).

Turns out the phone I was renting was the same phone she had rented the year before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter