• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Did you have a easy or hard childhood?

I’d say somewhat easy. I can remember as far back as 3 grade, almost 50 years ago, when I started suffering from social anxiety. It was hard, still is. But I wouldn’t say I had a hard childhood. I grew up in a normal middle class neighborhood with very good parents and never got in trouble.

That's a tough one. My first instinct was to say easy because my mother made it so for us. But the truth is somewhere 'in between.'We knew how poor we were, it was never hidden from us because that would have been impossible. I grew up in an alcoholic's household. My father was the alcoholic, but he was kind and funny so I didn't realize he was one or how severe his disease was until I was in my teens when it escalated. My Mom always made excuses for him when he'd lose a job or disappear for a few days, so it *seemed* normal. I have many, many happy memories. I have some sad or angry ones, too. I didn't put two and two together regarding the correlation between us being poor and my Dad's failure to keep a job until I was much older. I guess I had my head in the sand regarding his drinking until after he had stopped. He was sober for the last year of his life, had a job for that entire time. It was only then I realized and appreciated how much my mother had sacrificed and did without to make our childhoods as happy as she was able to.

I would say easy. Lived in a happy home. My mom was home and dad went to work. Had lots of friends in the neighborhood. I was a good student and didn’t really have any issues at school. I was born in 1951, so it was different time.

Started off really easy. Then became really hard (bullying at school, parent mental illness at home). Once I hit college, it was easy again.

I lived the first 12 years of my life in dozens of foster homes, many that were quite abusive both physically and mentally. That portion of my childhood was very hard. Once I was adopted I can say that my life was much, much better so I can only label it as easy when compared to the past. It was a very difficult adjustment getting used to the community and structure that I was now living in but I was loved and cared for which means my biggest wish finally came true.

Largely easy. I always had a roof over my head and never worried about where my next meal came from. I grew up in a peaceful area (that is to say not a war zone or gang area). But I also had a sibling with severe medical problems who died when we were both teenagers, and a parent and I both had untreated mental illnesses. So, medium I guess?

As a child, little things that didn’t go your way of course seemed very important at the time. But looking back I would have to say easy, at least concerning all the things that really matter.

Easy(ish). Very blessed in most ways; happily married parents who came from happy homes themselves and were well-respected members of our close-knit community. Always modest but stable financially; was provided with a great education and every reasonable want and need, as well as plenty of attention and affection. I did just fine socially, with my grades and was always perfectly healthy. But alas, my family did endure several traumatic and heartbreaking circumstances over the years that left their mark on all of us. Probably everybody here could tell similar stories. Such is life, even "in the best of families" as my DMom used to say. :grouphug:

Hard(ish). It certainly could have been worse, but being a daddy's girl when daddy left wasn't easy, nor was coming to terms with the rather unusual why and what of his post-divorce lifestyle as an outlaw biker and trafficker in God only knows what because he had a way of popping in just often enough that I knew what he was up to but not enough to be any sort of real parental figure. Between that and being rather bookish and socially awkward by nature, middle and high school in particular were difficult years.

Well, we only have one childhood, so it is, what it is. It was neither hard nor easy. It is what made me the person I am and there was nothing I could change.
It was rough when my dad died when I was 9. It was rough on my mom working full time and being both a widow, a mom and a dad. But she did a wonderful job and I am glad after I became a parent with a spouse I told her so because it was a lot even with two parents.
But THAT was my childhood.

Things were easy for me academically and socially, mostly. Just the occasional growing pains with the mean girl types and things like that here and there through elementary and middle school. High school was all good and I threw myself into everything possible as it was my sanctuary from the home life that was no bueno.

Definitely easy. At the time, I thought my world was ending if anything didn't go my way, but now looking back, I see that I lived a pretty charmed life.

Same. I was in the popular group of kids, I wasn't spoiled, and didn't get everything I asked for, but I don't remember lacking anything I wanted. I also know that I was very lucky to be raised like that.

Fairly easy. Not hugely privileged, but definitely lucky - to the point that I remember being surprised to find out about some of my classmates' lives.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter