Did your college student study abroad?

mefordis

If you can dream it, you can do it.
My college freshman wants to go for a 6 week study in a country in Eastern Europe this summer. I'm freaking out and super nervous. She'll be 19. Anyone have their college student do a study abroad trip or go overseas alone for any length of time?

Six weeks in Kyrgyzstan.
Admittedly I have never heard of this country before and after Googling it, it looks closer to Asia rather than Europe. I don't have any knowledge about studying abroad in Asia but I can try to answer any broader questions.

Admittedly I have never heard of this country before and after Googling it, it looks closer to Asia rather than Europe. I don't have any knowledge about studying abroad in Asia but I can try to answer any broader questions.

Just nervous about her flying over there alone and being so far. I want to go with her but I know that's not possible. This is way worse than sending her off to another state for college. I did leave the country alone but I was 23 ... big difference.

My daughter was scheduled and ready but Covid hit and her summer in Italy got cancelled. She has since graduated.

My son has not mentioned anything, he is in his second year now.

Last edited:

My daughter was scheduled and ready but Covid hit and her summer in Italy got cancelled. She has since graduated.

My son has not mentioned anything, he his in his second year now.

I'm sorry she missed the opportunity. I studied in Italy summer before my junior year.

My daughter went to France for three months on an exchange when she was in Grade 8. It was a fantastic experience and I would strongly recommend any opportunity to live abroad and experience a new culture and possibly pick up a new language.

My DD is due to study in France but we have family there she’ll be staying with, she speaks the language fluently and we’re all very familiar with the country due to frequent family visits there. I can’t imagine sending her to a country where she didn’t know anyone, the culture or language. Id be frantic but it may be good for her to get out of her comfort zone. Each kids different, some would do great and some would hate it. She does plan on living yo Korea after graduation and working as an English teacher for a few years (she speaks Korean and loves the culture) and I’m going to hate her being so far.

Just nervous about her flying over there alone and being so far. I want to go with her but I know that's not possible. This is way worse than sending her off to another state for college. I did leave the country alone but I was 23 ... big difference.
I totally understand your concern. My mom was the exact same way. She almost didn't want me to go when we got to the airport. I don't know anything about Kyrgyzstan but I think the experience of being in a different country and culture will be a very good experience for your daughter. I assume she would be with a program with other students. During the first week, the program will help your daughter settle in and even do trips to accustom her to the area. During my program, we did day trips to other cities and even went all the way to Berlin for a weekend (I was on the other side of the country). She will be out of her comfort zone for a while but it does get better with time.

My college freshman wants to go for a 6 week study in a country in Eastern Europe this summer. I'm freaking out and super nervous. She'll be 19. Anyone have their college student do a study abroad trip or go overseas alone for any length of time?
My kids are young but I lived in France for 6 months Junior year. Prior to that I spent summers in France without family starting when I was 16. Honestly one of the best things I could have ever done and strongly recommend it if possible.

Every child is different, but I would encourage any child to go. Here's my experience so far:

DD27 picked her college, especially for their study abroad program. Not only did she go abroad for a semester, she got to teach in Quito, Ecuador (in an American school). She's now a bilingual education teacher, and just completed her master's in applied linguistics. She's been on many trips abroad--Spain, Peru, Mexico, Cuba (all without family, a couple were school trips), and several vacations to Italy, France, the UK, etc. I'm probably forgetting some. She's going to Poland on her own in Feb.

DS25 (autistic) and DD19 attend the same local college, and both have opportunities to go abroad this summer. England for DS25--it's likely to be his only "college abroad" type trip, it's only for a week. DD19 may do England, (different trip, I think), maybe Iceland. I don't know if she's ready for a whole semester, certainly not in a country with a language barrier. Except possibly Italy--she's been there a couple times.

DS16 has been to England, France, and Italy. We had a French exchange student back in April, and DS16 will go to visit him next June. He'll also be attending the Scout World Jamboree in South Korea next August. While his dad is also going, they won't necessarily be together or even travel together--he has an ersatz troop that he'll be with instead. He'll be 17 at the time, it sounds like a blast.

My DD did during graduate school. Only one was long term and it was a great experience.

~ A month in Panama, group from school went together, housed in high rise apts, meal provided each day, two classes a day, weekends special events and travels, a professor went with them. Great experience, she saw so much outside of Panama City.

~ A couple weeks in Philippines teaching in a school. I was not thrilled, she didn't come away with positive thoughts. Loved the professor who went (still in touch) but I don't think she would do that again.

~ A week in Cuba working in school. Her class was in person at home and then they went on this trip. She almost cancelled due to cost but I said we'd cover it because by time Cuba really opened, it would never look the same - go enjoy.

In today's climate, location would be a HUGE concern for me.

Last edited:

My son has not mentioned anything, he is in his second year now.
Mine lost out on New Zealand due to Covid, she did take a last minute trip to Italy last fall for 3 nights by herself (to visit a friend who was studying abroad).

I did a summer semester in France when I was in college (20). My college has a campus there, so I didn't have to coordinate or transfer any credits. Two of my friends also went. Best summer of my life.

My dd did 6 months in the UK. She LOVED it! She did so much maturing in that time, having to learn new transit, etc. She went to several other places on weekend trips, etc, and had to plan them all, some she went on her own. It was such a spectacular experience for her.

My dd did 6 months in the UK. She LOVED it! She did so much maturing in that time, having to learn new transit, etc. She went to several other places on weekend trips, etc, and had to plan them all, some she went on her own. It was such a spectacular experience for her.
My DD did semester in Netherland and had the same experience! Best educational decision /$$ we made!!

My DD spent the summer in Bermuda doing coral reef research. She will be spending 3 weeks in the Galapagos this January through her college. I highly encourage travel. It’s much more difficult to travel internationally once you have a family and are established.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter