Did your kids play football? Would you let them?

Older son had no interest in football - he mostly played soccer, with some rec sports like baseball and basketball mixed in.

Younger son wanted to play football at some point, but by the time he started taking interest (8 or 9 years old), he was pretty involved with a club soccer team where he was training and playing nearly year round. Football being a fall sport, he wouldn't have had the time to play football and soccer at the same time. Truth be told, we worried that he would kill some kid (figuratively ;) ) on the football field, as he was always a very physical soccer player already.

You mean Tucker, right?
No. Tucker is a little bit sleazy--and is the King of Fumbling the Bag. Nassar was evil.

To be fair, U-M had its own version of Nassar in Anderson. And they are hardly alone. It's a much bigger problem than a couple of schools in the mitten state.

He was a GK, so he would occasionally have to fight for a ball in the air, but mostly that's a non-contact position.
Really? :scared: ;)

iran-goalie-022.jpg

He did play up two age-levels one year for his club after the GK on that team took a major concussion in the first game. But, as a 23 year old he is 6'2" and rock solid, and was always big for his age, so that wasn't an issue.

Life-long soccer player here. The only concussions I ever saw were contact with ground, other players or goal posts - never heading the ball. Worst injury I ever personally had was a broken toe. My kids played flag football, soccer, and ended up committed to lacrosse. I have not seen ANY serious injuries with lacrosse, though I am sure they occur. I am very glad my kids have had zero interest in tackle football as I do think that would be a no from me. Also glad they never played anything more than t-ball but that's because I find baseball to be incredibly boring - but that's a whole other thread.

No. Tucker is a little bit sleazy--and is the King of Fumbling the Bag. Nassar was evil.

To be fair, U-M had its own version of Nassar in Anderson. And they are hardly alone. It's a much bigger problem than a couple of schools in the mitten state.

Yes, I'm well aware of Nassar and his evils I thought the OP was comparing coaches. My bad.

I'm listening to NPR right now as I straighten up the house and they're talking about the trends in kids playing gridiron football. Those with higher incomes have reduced their kids playing football by over 20%. Interestingly, those with a lower income have increased their kids playing football also by over 20%. This is fascinating but not surprising given the high profile cases like Aaron Hernandez. And those from lower income backgrounds see football as a way out. What are your thoughts on kids playing football? I enjoy watching the NFL and sometimes college ball but I sometimes feel conflicted watching people who may eventually have brain injuries in part for my own entertainment.

I would NEVER allow my child to play football or any violent sport for that matter. Fortunately, my kid loves golf and will sometimes watch soccer (football) with me.
My son did, but I wasn't a huge fan. I think my view is that if it's something they really want to do; I'd let them, but I'd feel more comfortable if they didn't. At the end. of the day all things have risks so you just have to figure out the quality of life either way. We actually had a 9th grader who unfortunately passed away after a medical emergency at a hs game a cpl. yrs ago. Turns out he had a concussion that hadn't fully healed (no one knew)...had a regular hit and caused a brain bleed. However, his parents will tell you they wouldn't have changed letting him play because he loved it.

We live in a rural area so our HS doesn't have football. That made it easier to say no to Pop Warner. We researched injury statistics of football and decided not to let him play. My son did play a couple sessions of flag football in middle school. He focused on basketball, soccer and volleyball. As an adult, he does say he wished we would have let him play Pop Warner football.

My son, Vince, played 4 years high school football, 1 year college. He son, a high school freshman this year, played football this year. My son had one concussion from football. He had a dislocated shoulder during his 2nd year in baseball. The should injury ended his baseball 'career' which had started with T-ball years earlier. .

I first played football in highschool. Loved almost every minute except for double days. But... I had at least two concussions and two serious kidney injuries in just my junior year. One doctor told me if I wanted to keep playing, I should also get used to dialysis. Did drama and track my senior year instead. Was offered a walk on and small scholarship at a little D3 school but declined. Just not worth the damage. I have a 12 year old now and I'm so thankful he has zero interest. Even if he did, it's a hard "no" for me on tackle football.

My son played football from Peewee to high school. He was one of the smallest kids on the team. Graduated at 5'8" 135. I did worry. But, he loved every minute. And misses it even today as an adult. I couldn't say no to that.

Yes, I'm well aware of Nassar and his evils I thought the OP was comparing coaches. My bad.
OP here, No I wasn't exactly comparing coaches. I was making a comparison in the fact that Michigan has the sign-stealing scandal and MSU had the Nassar scandal. Both were very damaging to the institutions, but I think Nassar was worse. And of course, other schools have dealt with this too.

My son played flag football in 6th, 7th and 8th grade. His High School required so many hours of community service to graduate and he coached his old middle school flag football team for all 4 years of High School. He did play Baseball in High School. He wouldn't have had time to play football and meet his community service requirements.
Not sure what I would have said if he had wanted to play football. But I am opposed to tackle football for anyone less than High School age.

My son didn’t play football and that was fine with us. He played youth soccer, basketball and baseball, and as he got older he concentrated just on baseball. (Which we don’t find boring at all :teeth: !) During middle and HS he often played on several different baseball teams, and he went on to play four years in college. Today he still plays in adult leagues.

In HS he started to talk about playing football, but we knew a lot of baseball players who had serious injuries from other sports, so he didn’t do it. If we were starting out today, I’m not sure if we’d let him play football, knowing what we now know about CTE, but I haven’t really studied all the issues with football today, obviously. Watching the movie Concussion was eye opening, though.

DS had had his share of concussions, too. Once when talking with his pediatrician about it I asked if we should pull him out, and he said, “No, sports are great for kids!” (DS recently concussed from a kick to his head working in public safety, so it can happen outside of sports, too. I’ve had one myself, from work, as well.) I will say that the self-discipline, teamwork and other great skills he developed playing his sport had a really positive impact on who he is today.

The only concussions I ever saw were contact with ground, other players or goal posts - never heading the ball.
DS' first concussion was from a ball. 8am kickoff in the late fall, so EXTREMELY cold, he tried to head a punt (back when 9yo were allowed to), took it right to the top of the head and it layed him out. He also suffered concussions from the ground and from other players.

DD was GK and had a girl come sliding in after DD had collected the ball and go "cleats up" straight into DD's stomach. GK = 'no contact'? I don't think so.

I’m 43 years old and have never had a concussion. I’m starting to think I’ve been living my life wrong. :scratchin :faint: (<— that’s me having my first concussion.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter