• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Did your parents dress you in a cheap or expensive clothes growing up?

Mine wouldn’t even buy Levi’s ! If K-Mart didn’t have it on sale you were not getting it and the only time you did was when your clothes were way too small and you absolutely had to have something - even then you didn’t get much
I used my own money starting in middle school to buy my clothes

I grew up on welfare and hand-me-downs (either donated or purchased at second hand shops) were the norm. I got new clothes as holiday gifts and had a strict budget for back-to-school. Even though I currently earn more money now than parents ever did, I STILL focus my clothing budget on durability/function and not so much on trends or brand names.

As a teen, I got really into punk and thankfully, the punk scene is really DIY focused. So making use of one's own creativity is celebrated and respected in punk culture. I still make my own jackets/vests to this day!

Money wasnt really an issue growing up so we had fairly nice clothes. My mom and her best friend however were the queens of sales. Everything they bought was on sale. Clearance racks were even better. It was a challenge for them to get good deals and they really loved shopping! If it wasnt on sale it wasnt bought. This was in the 60's so I dont think they had quite the same variety as today.
I however hate shopping! :rolleyes:

I asked my 90 yr old Mom over tea yesterday this question. She said I bought you all 3 outfits for school (which I knew already) from a store called Gilmores in Kalamazoo, MI. Love my Mom, can't remember much of anything but she replied in a heartbeat to this question. :love:

99 percent of our clothes came from Sears catalog. We lived in a very small town and that was just about the only option. It improved greatly when we finally moved to KC.

Mine wouldn’t even buy Levi’s ! If K-Mart didn’t have it on sale you were not getting it and the only time you did was when your clothes were way too small and you absolutely had to have something - even then you didn’t get much
Are you one of my siblings?

There was a gas station to which my Dad sold auto parts that sold Wrangler jeans. We wore Kmart and those jeans.

When I started working when I was 12, I started buying from the Limited and other "cool" stores.

Mostly middle of the road for clothes. Some very nice and some from the lower end stores too. But mostly middle. My Mom did insist on getting me 3-4 really nice dresses from a store she referred to as the "Grandma store" (the place where Grandmas went to spend a lot for nice clothes), but she shopped sales (especially the sidewalk sale each year) to get these nicer dresses. Those were for church and first day of school and pictures mostly. She also insisted on nice shoes for me as like someone else, it was best for growing feet to have sturdy and supportive shoes. Again, looked for sales or sidewalk sales. Her big frustration for shoes was my feet were very small and grew like molasses. She was often having to buy the same size as before because I would wear my shoes out, never outgrow!

Thanks, OP, for this interesting thread. I guess I never thought about it; it was just what it was. I am the oldest on this thread, LOL, and was a small child in the 50's, teenager in the fabulous 60's.
Don't remember as a small child, but I do know my grandparents bought my brother and me new shoes each year before school started.
As a teenager, I had nice clothes (not name brand which I didn't care about at all). But, I only had 5 school outfits and had to wash them on weekends and wear them the next week. We were not allowed to wear jeans or slacks in high school, so it was dresses or skirts.
I do remember as a tweenager, I wanted the very popular Capezio shoes. They had a T strap on top of the foot which was inserted inside the shoes. They were around $20.00 a pair and we couldn't afford them. So I got the knockoffs that had the straps hooked up on the outside of the shoe, which was pretty noticeable and everyone could tell they were cheap!
I don't ever remember being deprived of school clothes. We had to change into "play" or after school clothes when we came home from school to keep our clothes in good condition.
Fast forward to my teenaged daughter. She wanted expensive name brand jeans while in high school. I couldn't afford that, but told her I would pay what I thought was reasonable (back then), and she could make up the rest with her work pay (she worked for our resort and at the dairy queen while in school). So that's what we did and she ended up having the jeans she wanted, but also realizing that nice things cost alot of hard earned money.

I'd say I had the "in" clothes 8-) back in my days designer jeans were the big hit and I had many of them.

Boy I remember being in 9th grade and my girlfriend and I worked all summer long babysitting and saved our money and both of us bought a new pair of the new Nike white leather sneakers. I got the one with the blue stripe and she got the red stripe. Oh my gosh we loved them. I ran cross country and had a practice after school. I changed out of my Nike's to my running shoes and locked my Nikes' in my locker. BOTH of our sneakers were taken :( I remember riding home on the bus in my socks. I was devastated. The worst part was the next day here come two girls literally wearing our sneakers!!! Back in those days you didn't go tell on anyone. I was in high school in the 80's where you were able to smoke outside in a designated area and a few times I had to duck from knife fights in the hallway....a whole different world then.

My parents had six kids. Some clothes were made by one of my aunts, some were hand me downs from my sister and some were bought - definitely not brand names. While in Italy - we wore a uniform/smock over our clothes so we did not need anything fancy. When we came to the US, I do remember there was plenty of budgeting the first few years.

Those were the days and best days. One bicycle for the family. I remember there was a lot of sharing even with toys/games. We/I never felt we were or went without anything. As I got a little older and by the time I cared, I started babysitting/on to part-time work and started to buy the things that I wanted. I remember when I started working, it took me three weeks to save a little extra $ to buy a a $60 pair of boots. Definitely not like today........times are different.

Oh yeah reading this reminded me jeans out in public ? NEVER ! Not allowed you would think you were trying to go outside naked !! Jeez funny how things have changed

...though have read further down the thread that others at our age bought their own school clothes...my sisters and I picking strawberries and green beans in the fields of oregon thought we were the only middle school kids who had to labor under the hot sun to purchase our school clothes. Folks were dirt poor, so naturally the reasonability of clothing ourselves fell on to us

I had clothes my grandmother literally found in a pile of garbage. I also had heavily discounted clothes from Bonwit Teller (very high end... my mother worked there and with an employee discount, the sales racks were sometimes doable). So a little of everything, I guess.

To know now others did the same means domething but when I was a kid only one of my friends had to do the same - her parents were extremely poor and the adults living at home didn’t work ( there were issues)
I have tried to make my kids understand not everyone has it so well and how the tables can turn on you and to appreciate what you have and most importantly you need to earn it. It doesn’t do you any good for me to just hand you things you will never gain appreciation that way. Besides I like getting free help !! Haa haa

I would say I was middle of the road, a few more expensive things but mostly as reasonable as possible. My dad use to say to my mom we wouldn't eat if food didn't go on sale. When I was 17 my mom gave me the cash she would typically spend on back to school shopping and told me that was it, oh boy, that was the year I figured out how far a dollar would go and that I also love a deal

Probably middle of the road. Nothing very expensive, but usually decent quality stuff. I did wear a lot of hand me downs as the youngest of three girls. My mom also never bought anything at full price (still doesn't, really), she always shops sales.

I had decent stuff without holes/stains, but it was almost always hand-me-downs from someone at church. We typically got a new Easter dress/white shoes and a new Christmas dress/black shoes from a local dept store, but it was not name brand or expensive and that's what we wore to church the entire season. We also got a new pair of jeans and a top and shoes for the first day of school, again, not name brand, but usually from sky city or a kmart type place. I grew up in the rural south, born in the 70s. I wanted trendy stuff, but it just was not in our budget, nor was it available in our rural area.

I've 4 daughters and always dress them nicely, inexpensively. Consignment and thrift is where most of our name brand stuff comes from, but I will supplement with sale stuff at dept stores as needed. I go for quality over quantity and our stuff last forever. My kids love thrifting with me! If they've asked for something more expensive than I usually buy, they either pay part of it themselves, or it becomes a Christmas or bday gift. For example, none of my girls have had real uggs, but they've all had a Northface jacket at some point, bought on clearance. They love American Eagle jeans and I'll kick in $20/pair and they have to figure out how to pay for the rest of the cost. They've gotten really good at checking the sales and getting the most for their money. They also only have 3 or 4 pair that will last them quite a few years. ;)

I got 2 store bought items per year, otherwise my mama made all my clothes (including coats and knitted sweaters) except my undies. The store bought things were usually school clothes and from a department store.

I had decent stuff without holes/stains, but it was almost always hand-me-downs from someone at church. We typically got a new Easter dress/white shoes and a new Christmas dress/black shoes from a local dept store, but it was not name brand or expensive and that's what we wore to church the entire season. We also got a new pair of jeans and a top and shoes for the first day of school, again, not name brand, but usually from sky city or a kmart type place. I grew up in the rural south, born in the 70s. I wanted trendy stuff, but it just was not in our budget, nor was it available in our rural area.

I've 4 daughters and always dress them nicely, inexpensively. Consignment and thrift is where most of our name brand stuff comes from, but I will supplement with sale stuff at dept stores as needed. I go for quality over quantity and our stuff last forever. My kids love thrifting with me! If they've asked for something more expensive than I usually buy, they either pay part of it themselves, or it becomes a Christmas or bday gift. For example, none of my girls have had real uggs, but they've all had a Northface jacket at some point, bought on clearance. They love American Eagle jeans and I'll kick in $20/pair and they have to figure out how to pay for the rest of the cost. They've gotten really good at checking the sales and getting the most for their money. They also only have 3 or 4 pair that will last them quite a few years. ;)

I did the same thing with my daughter. I would put some money down for the jeans she wanted that I felt was reasonable. She had to come up with the rest. She worked for us at our resort, then at the DQ to earn extra money. I don't think it hurts to have to work some for expensive things that you want. I think it teaches them alot about managing money, and also that it doesn't grow on trees. My kids never resented it. They are doing the same thing with my grandkids. If you have to work for something it means more to you, IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter