Difference significant in crowds/price for mid-Oct vs. spring break?

PHXscuba

Mouseketeer since birth!
So I am planning to go back to WDW either this fall or next spring.

Dates my teens (13 and 16) have breaks: Oct. 6-13 2018, Mar 9-16 2019.

History: kids last went to WDW in Oct 2011, DH and I were there a few days in 2014. We won't wait for Star Wars Land as we will see it at DL probably in the first year after it opens.

The spring break dates next year probably work better for us for a few reasons. With mid-October getting busier and busier, is there ENOUGH difference in onsite prices and crowds levels to push me toward October?

PHXscuba

Both will be crowded. I'd go with October for the halloween decorations and chance of slightly cooler weather.

It's cool right now but only due to the cold front. It's usually already plenty hot. And parks will be packed on those dates for spring break.

So I think crowds will be about the same, maybe a little more crowded during March.

I don't know what the price difference is, but March will probably have lower crowds (although that matters less than it used to) and better weather.

The only thing that would deter me from October if I were you is that on Halloween party days the MK will close at 6pm. There are several of those every week in Oct, and with 2 teens (who might like sleeping in?) it might be frustrating to have to leave so early if they still have the energy to keep going.

We were just there this past october and the crowd level was not bad at all. Yes some days MK closed early for the party but if you plan your days around that it is not a problem. Also the weather was great while we were there so that was an added plus for us.

Have you been watching crowd reports from this week/weekend? Might be good to assess. Some reports of it being REALLY busy right now.

We have done October many times - we have always found it manageable although we think april (when our break is) weather is better than October...

We have also experienced a hurricane at Disney Oct 2016 I think...we had a great time that trip but results definitely vary based on Resort, your plans, and your ability to roll with the punches..

We have been in October and it was good -- good weather, fairly reasonable crowds. But that was 2011. We worked around the Halloween party nights last time, but this time we'd probably do WDW and Universal (did Universal spring break 2017) and working around both event closures could get crazy. But I'm getting the sense that the crowd gap between spring/fall and low/high season is narrowing, so I'm trying to decide whether the tradeoff of going during a personally-preferred March is that much worse than a traditionally "better" week in October.

And my kids know there are limited sleeping-in days on vacation!

PHXscuba

Have you been watching crowd reports from this week/weekend? Might be good to assess. Some reports of it being REALLY busy right now.
That's not really a good comparison. This year, Easter is on April 1st. Next year it's on the 21st. There is a huge difference in crowds between 2 weeks out and 5 weeks out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter