digital camer, helpd decide

mudd

Mouseketeer
We are looking into getting a digital camera to take with us but really can't decide which one we like. From info gathered we need at least 2 mpixel, and 3x optical zoom, rechargable batteries. We ar on a limited budget and need to stary under $400. So far we are concidering Fuji finiPix 2800. 6x optical, 2x digital 2.1 mpixel 16 meg card. We like taking close up shot so it seems we need all the optical zoom we can get. Will still need to get rechargeable battiers. Any one have a digital camera they a pleased with, just starting to look and needing all advise posible.
Thanks

I'm definitly NOT an expert....I just like to point and click :)
But....DH researched at great length for a Christmas present for me.
I really like it......Canon PowerShot A20.......has 2.1 mega pixels....7.5 zoom.
It came with 8mg card...but he bought another 24mg.
I also bought 3 sets of rechargable batteries. One for in the camera, one for in the case for backup and one in the recharger.
It worked very well on our trip.
The camera was under $400.......batteries and recharger were about $50 and I really don't know how much he paid for the extra card.
He looked around a LOT and you can be sure he got the best deal to be found on that model once he made up his mind.
Have fun with whatever you decide!!

OH....the pictures turn out AWESOME!!!

I just got a Kodak 3600 for my most recent trip to Disney. It was 2.1 Megapixels and a smaller zoon then yours but I was on a much smaller budget!

As you may know it is the optical zoom that really counts, so if you like taking pictures of shows parades etc it can play a big role.

I don't know how many pictures you plan on taking but I had 2 128MB cards with me. On best quality I can fit about 190 pictures on a card. It is certainly worth getting a big card as they are very small and easy to pack. The best prices I have ever found is www.newegg.com. THey do take a couple of days to ship so don't wait till the last minute to order. They had 128MB cards for $43 not too long ago.

Also take more batteries than you need. I had the battery pack that came in the camera, 2sets of rechargeables and still wound up buying lithium batteries in the park because I ran out. I would take atleast 4 sets of rechargeables. THis way you can have one in the canera one spare, and 2 sets charging in the room for the next day.

I think my pictures came out pretty well. THe biggest complaint I had was that it had difficulty taking pictures rapid fire like you need to to get everything in a parade. I am a photo hound and take pictures of everything and everyone. I took over 900 pictures this trip on good quality and am very pleased with the results. The only thing I noticed was that some of the text was fuzzy.

If you want to see soem examples here are some pics I took of MJJP this past trip. www.geocities.com/eeyorefanaticus/mjjp.html

small tip: digital zoom is WORTHLESS

When you zoom in digitally, all it is doing is enlarging the picture. This results in a blurry image, not a true zoom in.
Besides, if you want to enlarge the picture, do that yourself on your PC and save the room on your media device!

So, when you are shopping, look for Optical zoom and disregard anything about Digital zoom.

Hope that is helpful!

I am a professional photographer so my digital is more than just a point and shoot one. But, I also know what to look for in an digital camera.

For a 'regular' person, I highly recommend as much memory as you can afford (newegg.com IS the cheapest place!), batteries, batteries, batteries, and as much of an optical zoom as you can get within your budget. Be sure to have at least two battery chargers so you can put your batteries on charge each evening. You can usually find a set of 4 batters with a charger for under 20.00.

Digital zoom IS the same as cropping on your computer, so don't even pay attention to it. Get the most OPTICAL zoom.

Also, get one with a regular viewfinder...taking pictures using the display not only hogs up the batteries, but it's not stable -- meaning you're pictures may be blurred. Think about it -- you're holding the camera OUT, not with your arms resting on your body. You get camera shake that way.

Unless you're going to blow up your pictures more than 8x10, you do not need more than 2.1 megapixels -- more than that won't give you clearer 4x6, 5x7 pics -- it just enables you to do larger prints.

If you don't mind lugging around a largish camera, and can afford it, look into the Olympus 700 (the updated version of the C2100UZ) -- it has a 10X (380mm equiv) zoom! I have it and LOVE it! But, if you're looking for just a pocket, point and shoot type camera, the 700 (or the 2100uz) is a bit much. I've had two Olympus (had the 460 before the 2100) and they take great pictures.

You may want to check out this website:

www.thescreensavers.com

I know they have reviewed digital cameras before on the show and I believe that you may be able to find the review. If you can't find it at that site try to search the Tech TV site.

Hope this helps.

I just bought a 4.0 MP kodak dx4900 for $400. The were extras I wanted though which were the docking station and a 128 flashcard. That brought the price up another $150

and love it LOVE IT LOVE IT! I also bought a battery charger and 8 rechargeable ni-mn batteries. 4 are in the camera and 4 in the charger at all times. I swap out every morning at the world. I don't even save my pictures at the highest setting and still very satisifed with the results. I rarely carry my 35mm any more (last year, I spent over 900$ on Snapfish for photofinishing alone - makes the digital camera a real bargain!)

I jsut got a Kodak DX3600 Digital Camera that i absolutley love. They are running a promo at staples if you buy the camera you get a free travel case. Check it out. Also it has rechargable batteries and a optional "doc" that will charge the batteries while you transfer your pics. . .

There is 8meg internal mem (i think) and a slot to add the cards. All in all i think i spent around 250.00

noty a bad deal for a nice cam. . .

Good luck! :)

I just purchased a Canon A10, only 1.3 megapixels and 3x optical zoom. I only want to take simple snaps so I know it will serve my needs. I researched this camera before purchasing it, and it received very good reviews, along with the Canon A20.
I got a great deal from Staples, it was on special and, in addition, I received a $70/rebate, final cost $90.!
I do have a question, however, about batteries
In the directions it states only to use alkaline or NiMH rechargeables. Can one use lithium batteries also? Are there advantages to lithium or should I stick with NiMH rechargeables?
Also, I have an older nickel cadium rechargeer, can I place NiMH batgteries in it to recharge? I figured a charger is a charger despite the type of batteries, but I could be wrong! Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Figment

Absolutely read zurg's info on www.wdwig.com about "digital cameras. It is very basic info and help us tremendously!! Its also quiet entertaining! Just go to deb's index & pick digital camera's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter