Digital DVC member card question

ColoradoDisneyFan

Mouseketeer
How do CMs know if you are eligible for all discounts/perks if the card shown in the MDE app just shows your name as a DVC Member and nothing else? I know if I login to my web MDE account I can take a screenshot which shows the DVC-Y. We are now going with our whole family for the first time since COVID and my grown kids are on the deed and are asking me these questions. TIA

They ask you to pull it up and show the details…which shows the DVC Y. I had to pull up on my phone or watch every time last week.

It's a complete pain in the ......S. When I looked up our information on MDE, our card WAS there, but when I clicked on the details, part of the info was right and part of it was wrong. It showed us as direct members, which is correct, but it also showed us as annual pass holders, which is not correct. Typical, non-working software we are accustomed to from Disney IT. Be ready to spend countless hours at Guest Services to try and get it straightened out.

They ask you to pull it up and show the details…which shows the DVC Y. I had to pull up on my phone or watch every time last week.
100% last week and yesterday (1-day stopover) every cast member who asked me about discounts wanted to see the DVC-Y. Even the CM in the Mercantile who is on the College Program was trained to ask for it and verify.

Cue the “I used it 37 times this past trip and wasn’t asked once to show it” posts.

I can't give you the 37 times and never asked post...I was there 3/10 to 3/14 and most times I had to pull it up on my phone...but I did have at least 2 restaurant visits where I was given the DVC discount and I offered to pull it up and was waved off - one said they trusted me, and the other said they saw my slide. Needed it for grocery discount, two restaurants, and the DVC lounge at Epcot.

I can't give you the 37 times and never asked post...I was there 3/10 to 3/14 and most times I had to pull it up on my phone...but I did have at least 2 restaurant visits where I was given the DVC discount and I offered to pull it up and was waved off - one said they trusted me, and the other said they saw my slide. Needed it for grocery discount, two restaurants, and the DVC lounge at Epcot.
In hindsight, I think there was one restaurant that didn’t ask to see the screen early last week. I want to say Ohana maybe? The “saw the slide” mention triggered it. That would definitely be the only time.

Slightly off topic but the sad thing was during my most recent trip even after pulling up my card from my digital wallet indicating the DVC-Y designation at Le Cellier, I had a cast member try and tell me that that wasn't acceptable because the card didn't have an expiration date and that she would have to check to make sure it's okay. I then tried to explain to her that that expiration date shows up only if someone has printed out the card because the certificate is good for 30 days since being printed and then she basically rolled her eyes and was over it. I didn't really want to make it a big deal out of it since I get that she's just trying to do her job and the last thing she cares about is DVC but if she's going to enforce it that hard then she should know. But regardless, I didn't let it affect how much I tipped or anything like that despite the interaction.

This would've been so much easier with just a blue card.

Last edited:
Just back from 10days...asked for the Y half the time...
The issue I had was Disney now has a new band reader and has all the stores and resturants using them. Well some only have 1 or 2..so need to wait,,or go to different terminal,,one resturant didnt know how to use it yet(so they claimed) so asked if I could pay another way.

Slightly OT, but this thread reminded me so I thought I'd ask here:

Even though my DH and I are on our contracts together, his does not show the DVC-Y. I believe I recall from when this first rolled out that this is because he doesn't have his own MDE account (I manage for the family). So that's fine bc we're always together so I am sure to be the one to pay for things. No problem. (But, if anyone knows an easy way to update this, lmk!)

The thing I'm wondering more about is that the digital cards for both of us and our three DDs also show "Annual" for affiliation. We haven't been AP holders since 2020, when we let them lapse during Covid. Why is this!? Should I work to remove it, or just leave it? A couple of times when I've showed the DVC-Y, the CM has commented about my also being an AP holder and I'll admit sometimes I've corrected them but sometimes I've just not gotten into it and let it slide by. Do these digital cards ever update, or should I be "renewing" it or anything??

Just an FYI for any white card folks, the mobile checkout at locations that have it for merch, still gives the 20% discount even though it shouldn't.

I also just showed the screen in MDE showing we are DVC and disney + subsribers and was given the discount, never asked to show the dvc-y. YMMV of course.

Slightly off topic but the sad thing was during my most recent trip even after pulling up my card from my digital wallet indicating the DVC-Y designation at Le Cellier, I had a cast member try and tell me that that wasn't acceptable because the card didn't have an expiration date and that she would have to check to make sure it's okay. I then tried to explain to her that that expiration date shows up only if someone has printed out the card because the certificate is good for 30 days since being printed and then she basically rolled her eyes and was over it. I didn't really want to make it a big deal out of it since I get that she's just trying to do her job and the last thing she cares about is DVC but if she's going to enforce it that hard then she should know. But regardless, I didn't let it affect how much I tipped or anything like that despite the interaction.

This would've been so much easier with just a blue card.
I would have politely asked for a manager. That CM obviously needed more training on what does or does not constitute proof of eligibility. She must have been absent from the class on DVC-Y. Hopefully when she does get called out on it the guest will be nice about it.
Slightly OT, but this thread reminded me so I thought I'd ask here:

Even though my DH and I are on our contracts together, his does not show the DVC-Y. I believe I recall from when this first rolled out that this is because he doesn't have his own MDE account (I manage for the family). So that's fine bc we're always together so I am sure to be the one to pay for things. No problem. (But, if anyone knows an easy way to update this, lmk!)

The thing I'm wondering more about is that the digital cards for both of us and our three DDs also show "Annual" for affiliation. We haven't been AP holders since 2020, when we let them lapse during Covid. Why is this!? Should I work to remove it, or just leave it? A couple of times when I've showed the DVC-Y, the CM has commented about my also being an AP holder and I'll admit sometimes I've corrected them but sometimes I've just not gotten into it and let it slide by. Do these digital cards ever update, or should I be "renewing" it or anything??
I’ve read of this happening many times. Personally, I’d ignore it because having it there doesn’t affect my eligibility for DVC-Y benefits or affect my WDW experience in any negative way.

Reactions: KSL
I would have politely asked for a manager. That CM obviously needed more training on what does or does not constitute proof of eligibility. She must have been absent from the class on DVC-Y. Hopefully when she does get called out on it the guest will be nice about it.
I probably should have but I felt like I had already wasted my energy trying to educate her on something she probably doesn't care about and didn't want to turn it into a bigger ordeal than it already was. Sooner or later somebody will call her out on it if she hasn't been already.

Same for me, although I haven't had an AP since well before 2020. It's been there ever since DVC introduced the digital card. I've seen many others mention the incorrect ANNUAL flag on their card too, so it seems to be a programming bug (count me surprised ... NOT :sad2:). I'm not going to worry about it - I don't think there's a downside to it, and nowhere else in Disney's system does it think I'm still an AP holder.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter