Digital Membership Cards?

Disney doesn't have to make a physical plastic card, but they have to make some way to print out a QR code or something. Or there will be lawsuits.
Unfortunately the membership benefits are not guaranteed. It's absolutely in Disney powers to decide that to get discounts one has to have a smartphone.

It's funny that they went from really don't care at all to rush a massive IT fail. Anyone with a minimal Photoshop proficiency could have created a digital card in 5 minutes, and they've accepted those for years. Well, one could still create a fake phone app that looks like the digital wallet but shows a fake DVC Y. Until they start scanning a QR code with a signature that expires every few minutes, they're not really enforcing anything.

I'm so glad I won't visit the parks for a while, I'll add this digital card to the long list of thing that I'll wait to be resolved before I'll be back.

Whole system is a mess. They list it as a “digital Disney Vacation Club” card. It’s just an affiliation attached to the magic mobile card. It’s not accessible even through the Disneyland app. This digital card should be accessible directly through our DVC account, adding it to our “wallet” from there.

If they were going to remove grandfathering, I think they'd change that last sentence to simply read: "Members who have not purchased an ownership interest directly from DVD will not have access to Membership Extras" and be done with it. No dates, no qualifiers, just that sentence.

Thanks. I agree but I didn’t remember it being phrased that way which is why I asked if anyone else remembered it!

Unfortunately the membership benefits are not guaranteed. It's absolutely in Disney powers to decide that to get discounts one has to have a smartphone.

It's funny that they went from really don't care at all to rush a massive IT fail. Anyone with a minimal Photoshop proficiency could have created a digital card in 5 minutes, and they've accepted those for years. Well, one could still create a fake phone app that looks like the digital wallet but shows a fake DVC Y. Until they start scanning a QR code with a signature that expires every few minutes, they're not really enforcing anything.

I'm so glad I won't visit the parks for a while, I'll add this digital card to the long list of thing that I'll wait to be resolved before I'll be back.
Create a fake phone app just to be able to get some discounts every so often? That sounds like a lot of work, and it would be taking dishonesty to a new level.

I refuse to spend my time gawking at a phone. I've survived 75+ years without one and if I knew what I know now about the crap Disney is doing lately I would've never joined DVC.

After weeks of anxiety with an incorrect MM pass, it is finally correct! I did delete my phone number... which I believe someone suggested... and reentered it. Not sure whether that's what did it or not but I finally have a pass in my Apple wallet that is DVC Y, ANNUAL.

I'm just too old for all this!

Shoot I got all excited for a second after reading @Debbie Jean's post. Sadly, no DVC Y for this direct & resale owner yet. I'm hoping this is fixed before I go home in 3 weeks, but I'm not holding my breath. At least my annual pass is indicating correctly.

Disney IT, fix yourselves already. Sheesh.

Well, one could still create a fake phone app that looks like the digital wallet but shows a fake DVC Y. Until they start scanning a QR code with a signature that expires every few minutes, they're not really enforcing anything.

Do they just LOOK at your phone screen?

If so, there are plenty of pictures of that app screen on the internet. Just grab one of those, change it to your name, store it as a photo on your phone and show that photo. Bam - anyone who wants to can get DVC member discounts.

They've GOT to have better IT there at Disney.

Do they just LOOK at your phone screen?

If so, there are plenty of pictures of that app screen on the internet. Just grab one of those, change it to your name, store it as a photo on your phone and show that photo. Bam - anyone who wants to can get DVC member discounts.

They've GOT to have better IT there at Disney.

You will be required to pull the app up on your device. Screenshots will not be accepted for the exact reasons you mention. For January, they have been a little flexible because of issues, but come Feb, they are expected to enforce it.

Just a reminder to everyone that we do not allow ways to violate Disney rules.

Shoot I got all excited for a second after reading @Debbie Jean's post. Sadly, no DVC Y for this direct & resale owner yet. I'm hoping this is fixed before I go home in 3 weeks, but I'm not holding my breath. At least my annual pass is indicating correctly.

Disney IT, fix yourselves already. Sheesh.

Although I've owned resale in the past, all my points are currently direct. But I don't see why this is so hard for folks who were grandfathered in!!

I understand your aggravation... my trip isn't until March but who needs to be stressing on something that is supposed to be your happy place?!

Fingers crossed you go in and find it fixed!

Although I've owned resale in the past, all my points are currently direct. But I don't see why this is so hard for folks who were grandfathered in!!

I'm a software developer, and what probably happens is that they are given incorrect or incomplete rules. Happens all the time in the software world.

For example, they might say
(a) 'People who bought 150 or more points DIRECT after JUNE 3, 2021 - are DVC Y members'
(b) 'People who bought less than 150 points DIRECT after JUNE 3, 2021 - are DVC ND members'

(they'll be tons of other rules as well that might conflict with one another)

As a coder who has no clue the rules, a question will come up like:
'Someone bought 200 points direct in 2010, and on AUGUST 1, 2021, they bought 100 points DIRECT'

Does this person get DVC Y or DVC ND? Well, rule (b) seems to say they get DVC ND, so that's what they get.

After weeks of anxiety with an incorrect MM pass, it is finally correct! I did delete my phone number... which I believe someone suggested... and reentered it. Not sure whether that's what did it or not but I finally have a pass in my Apple wallet that is DVC Y, ANNUAL.

I'm just too old for all this!
At least you look like Walt Disney, so you'll always have that...

I'm a software developer, and what probably happens is that they are given incorrect or incomplete rules. Happens all the time in the software world.

For example, they might say
(a) 'People who bought 150 or more points DIRECT after JUNE 3, 2021 - are DVC Y members'
(b) 'People who bought less than 150 points DIRECT after JUNE 3, 2021 - are DVC ND members'

(they'll be tons of other rules as well that might conflict with one another)

As a coder who has no clue the rules, a question will come up like:
'Someone bought 200 points direct in 2010, and on AUGUST 1, 2021, they bought 100 points DIRECT'

Does this person get DVC Y or DVC ND? Well, rule (b) seems to say they get DVC ND, so that's what they get.

I work in IT also. Bad user stories/requirements mean you get something that doesn't meet customer needs. They didn't document all the scenarios. Hopefully they will fix it soon!

You will be required to pull the app up on your device. Screenshots will not be accepted for the exact reasons you mention. For January, they have been a little flexible because of issues, but come Feb, they are expected to enforce it.

Just a reminder to everyone that we do not allow ways to violate Disney rules.
On top of that, you can't just "change it to your name" on a screenshot. What are they going to do...use the "write" function to hand write their name in fine point pen over the name in the screenshot? That would look like a kindergarten art class, lol. Screenshots don't allow you to change the content in the picture.

I suspect this is less about thwarting cheaters and more a capitulation to the fact that it’s impossible to train the front line Cast to apply discounts only where they are supposed to.
There's no way to do it. There's too much turnover, rotation, etc. And far too many policy changes, new/retired offerings, etc. for CMs to keep up with. I don't even think DVD and DVDMC are fully staffed and trained, either. Someone clearly cobbled this together at the last minute without any sort of plan in place. They migrated the website and/or installed a new web firewall last July and the site still hasn't ever worked properly since then. My guess is whoever developed it no longer works there (be they either contractors or full timers).

I suspect this is less about thwarting cheaters and more a capitulation to the fact that it’s impossible to train the front line Cast to apply discounts only where they are supposed to.
That's why I think the plan is to give the discount automatically. I suspect in the future the only way to have a discount will be to pay with a Google or Apple wallet. Otherwise this move makes no sense at all* Training CM to check DVC Y is not easier than checking if a card is blue or white.

* and since Disney is famous for doing things that make no sense at all, I admit it is still a possibility.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter