• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dine with Shamu - our May 2016 review with photos

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina

Life is short. Live it well.
Monday, May 2nd: Dine with Shamu

The walkway that leads to the underwater viewing area next to the Dine with Shamu pool is lined with some really neat themed décor that is new since we first enjoyed this special meal back at Christmas 2012. I thought they were great additions to this area, and “fit” very well......the colours and the message (may I also say, too, that I just love it that so much at SeaWorld does have such a great message?).

As we waited to check in, it was fun to read each of the various inscriptions on the statues that were nestled into the stunning signature SeaWorld gardens.

The area quickly filled up as people began arriving for the late afternoon sitting. It was empty when I captured this photo earlier in the day, but in the 30 minutes before the doors opened, it was abuzz with activity :hyper:.

We checked in for our Dine with Shamu reservation at exactly the time we were directed, and then posed for the photograph which was provided complimentary with our reservation. While the actual 6x8 print that they include has a Dine with Shamu border on it, the photo itself looks like this (and comes in a nice, sturdy SeaWorld cardboard cover for protection):

The Dine with Shamu border is not available for online download, unfortunately. The hard copy photo was delivered to us about a half an hour or so after we were seated…..right around the time we were enjoying dessert :).

The doors opened right on time, and we were each ushered inside and shown to our table by friendly SeaWorld TMs.

The seating is open-air but still covered and (I am pretty sure) air conditioned or otherwise cooled to a certain degree. The roof above definitely blocks out the searing sun (and would protect against rain during inclement weather) but it was definitely not as hot in the seating area as it was outside.

The seating is organized two rows deep: you are either at a table that is right along the glass, or there will be one row of tables between you and the glass. We have always been told that the earlier you book your seats, the better seats you will receive, but this was a fairly last-minute add-on to our trip: we only booked at the very end of March for our May 2nd visit. We totally expected that we may not get a great table as a result, so imagine our surprise when we were literally dead centre and right along the glass. We literally had the most perfect view imaginable :thumbsup2.

Now, I will clarify: this meal was not sold out. There were actually quite a few empty tables, so visiting at a slower time of year definitely worked in our favour. If planning a trip during peak season, a late minute booking will likely not yield such great results as we enjoyed.

A few of the whales were already out and swimming around as we sat down, just playing and splashing and jumping as we watched in admiration. It’s hard not to be simply awed by these majestic creatures :worship:.

Our seats were literally so close to the pool that we were frequently sprayed with water from their blow holes as the whales swam by our table. How awesome is that? :cool1:

Our server came by before we had even sat down and took our drink orders. Beer and wine was included for anyone who wished to partake in an alcoholic beverage. We opted for the soft stuff instead: Jake had water, Steve had a Coke Zero (he was driving, remember), and I had lemonade. All drinks were unlimited and refilled throughout the meal.

We were invited to partake in the buffet as soon as we were ready, and, well…..you know my guys. They are virtually always ready to eat :rolleyes:. I stayed to watch our table and take some pics of the whales while they loaded up their plates, then took my turn in the buffet line once they had arrived back at our table.

This is really a great buffet as far as the selection goes: there’s something for everyone, including the kids (and the big kids, too.....those chicken nuggets were delish!). While the menu is said to change seasonally, this is what is officially listed on the website in regards to the menu:

https://seaworldparks.com/en/seaworld-orlando/dine-and-shop/dining/dine-with-shamu/

Dine With Shamu Menu

SeaWorld’s commitment to care for the natural world extends into the food we serve. Our menu features sustainable, organic, seasonal or locally grown ingredients that aim to minimize environmental impacts to animals and their habitats.

Buffet Featuring:

· Greek Salad

· Spinach Salad

· Caesar Salad

· Pasta Salad

· BBQ Salad

· Jambalaya

· Caribbean Pork Loin

· Vodka Pasta Alfredo

· Loaded Mashed Potato

· Southwest Quinoa

· Pepper Steak

· Cuban Bread

· Focaccia

· Dinner Rolls

Drinks:

· Assorted Coca-Cola® products

· Beer

· Wine

· Coffee

· Hot Tea

Kid’s Buffet featuring all kids’ favorites:

· Chicken Nuggets with Dipping Sauce

· Hot dogs

· Mac and cheese

· Green Salad

· Seasonal fresh fruits and vegetables

Desserts:

· Chocolate Chip Cookies

· Strawberry Shortcake

· Red Velvet Cake

· Chocolate Cake

· Carrot Cake

· Key Lime Pie

Menu changes seasonally.

· Proof of age (21) for purchase or consumption of alcohol beverages on these premises. SeaWorld requires identification from anyone appearing 30 years of age or younger.

· Service Type: All-you-care- to-eat Private Buffet.

Additional Information:

· If you are concerned about food allergens, such as peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, milk, egg or soy, please note allergens at time of booking.

· MasterCard®, Visa®, Discover®, JTB® and American Express®accepted.

· Florida sales tax will be added to all taxable items.

· Menu subject to change

· Dine with Shamu will be refunded if cancelled 24 hours in advance of the scheduled dine.

Everything was really tasty, but if you will permit me a complaint: none of the hot item were hot enough :headache:. It’s a pet peeve of mine…..hot food should be served HOT in my world…..so that was a disappointment. Everything had a great presentation and flavour, but needed to be warmer.

Desserts were excellent and Steve was thrilled to find their signature chocolate cake on the dessert buffet. I think he ate two slices of that rich awesomeness. I thought he might slip into a diabetic coma before the night was over :rotfl:, but luckily…..he was fine :thumbsup2.

Just as we were enjoying the last of our dessert, the trainers began the informational session that showcases the unique talents and abilities of the SeaWorld killer whales. Just to be clear, this is not a formal “show”: it’s more like the trainers giving a class on killer whales, and is packed full of whale facts while punctuated with demonstrations of some of the behaviours by the whales themselves.

The trainers talk a lot about what it’s like to work alongside the whales and some of the methods they use for training the whales (all of which are based on positive reinforcement). They introduced us to each of the whales individually, and chatted about their unique personalities and how they integrate those whale-specific attributes and temperaments into the shows and training approaches.

There is no music like in One Ocean. There are no massive flips or designated soak zones. It is a very relaxing, low-key and yet amazing opportunity to admire the killer whales from literally just a few feet away.

Oh, those faces. Couldn’t you just kiss ‘em? :cloud9:

Buckets and buckets of fish are offered up as positive reinforcements during the Dine with Shamu experience. As each whale showed us their smarts, they were happy to swim over for a nose rub by their trainer and a few handfuls of food from the stainless steel buckets.

While I did say there were no MASSIVE splashes, don’t take that as there not being any impressive demonstrations of their power and agility in the water. There were times you could just see those whales itching to make a big jump…..and the trainers were happy to let them strut their stuff to the amazement and wonder of the crowd.

Throughout the entire show, we were well attended to with beverage refills and regular reminders that the buffet was still open and that we were welcome to continue helping ourselves as our stomach saw fit.

All too soon, though, the trainers wrapped up their session, and the whales offered us a most beautiful wave goodbye.

It was the perfect way to end our trip ::yes::.

Price was $29.99 per person (we are all adults) less 10% for the pass member discount.

We went today. I had originally booked for Tuesday, but they contacted me in August that there would be no weekday shows this week so we changed to today. The dinner was sold out, and our table was at the very end of the pool. There were no whales swimming at all until the trainers came over (the One Ocean show was going on while we ate). Then two whales were brought over for the talk, which we enjoyed very much.

Gina was spot on with her comment that the food was not very hot. The menu has changed since the review, so check online for the new one. There was no pepper steak or jambalaya, but there was battered tempura fish. The corn on the cob was mushy, but I loved the garlic mashed potatoes and quinoa salad. We definitely ate well! I was disappointed that the One Ocean show did not have any educational content, and happy that we did this to get more in depth information. Definitely recommend it.

Glad it was helpful! :goodvibes I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

So....I'm Googling "Dine with Shamu" and find a lot of good reviews, promising. Then, I click on a banner for a May 2016 review, I'm looking at pics....wait, how do I know that family?? That's Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina from the SVR forum! I LMAO and my wife is staring at me. "It's Gina" I say. "From the Sheraton forum? She answered all our questions that's how we got the perfect condo twice, remember her?" My wife says "if Gina approves, book it".

We'll be dining there May 15th :)

Coincidentally, May 2nd is our anniversary. We were at the SVR, SeaWorld and Dsicovery Cove at the same time in 2016.

As always, thanks for the excellent reviews Gina!

Joe

So....I'm Googling "Dine with Shamu" and find a lot of good reviews, promising. Then, I click on a banner for a May 2016 review, I'm looking at pics....wait, how do I know that family?? That's Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina from the SVR forum! I LMAO and my wife is staring at me. "It's Gina" I say. "From the Sheraton forum? She answered all our questions that's how we got the perfect condo twice, remember her?" My wife says "if Gina approves, book it".

We'll be dining there May 15th :)

Coincidentally, May 2nd is our anniversary. We were at the SVR, SeaWorld and Dsicovery Cove at the same time in 2016.

As always, thanks for the excellent reviews Gina!

Joe

Aw, I am so happy you found the review helpful! :goodvibes And I hope you have an AMAZING time at Dine with Shamu when you go later this spring!

Have DWS booked for the third time next month! But this time will be brunch on Easter! Looking forward to trying something a little different

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter