Dining Asian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dj7687

Earning My Ears
Was down in Disney World recently and was lucky enough to snag several dining reservations in the parks. Had pretty bad table service where the waiter/waitress kind of gave us the cold shoulder and would not even really look in our faces. Is there a lot of anti-Asian sentiment among the Floridians here? Any others have similar experiences? Was truly made to feel unwelcome. Even had a monorail attendant make some snarky comment to us. We were surprised because this is Disney and it is supposed to be our happy place.

We are Asian and have been going for 12+ years (and been going a LOT in the past 6 months) and have never noticed anything.

We are generally friendly and DH in particular likes to say nice things to CMs. Sometimes we have gotten bad service, and CMs have been abrupt, but nothing that has ever felt racially motivated.

That said, it’s not something I am particularly sensitive to as I have never felt discriminated against. DH dealt with some discrimination as a child so he is more aware of it. So he doesn’t particularly like it when we are the only Asians in a huge crowd. He has not commented on anything in all our years of going to Disney.

This is not made up. Had 2 bad experiences out of the 5 we dined at. Both times the server was older (probably in 50s). I want to emphasize this was a very recent visit and the first time we have been back to Orlando in the post Covid, Trump era. My general experience has been that hostility toward Asian Americans has become more open as of late (the past decade), and Florida has show itself to be more obviously a red state. The experience was very atypical of the friendly service we expected of Disney and a change from our past visits. It was isolated and not systemic but happened more often enough that it was noticeable. You have to remember that, like in other parts of the country, these days you hire whatever you can get. There isn't a huge pool of people willing to work these jobs. Maybe it is in part a persistent relic of the Bob Chapek days, where more attention is paid to making money and less to providing good service so that you have loyal returning customers. The quality of the food also was significantly below expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter