• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dining at Downtown Disney

neonderlyn

Mouseketeer
Does anyone ever plan to eat at a restaurant in DTD in the middle of one of their park day? If so does it take too much time away from the park?

We will be in the park for 4 days and I was considering doing rain forest cafe for lunch one day and possible stopping at E&A boutique, would this be a complete waste of valuable park time?

We plan to do the same. Being that you have four days in the park (same for us, too) and because you can ride the Monorail right to DTD, it shouldn't take much time at all! Especially if you make your way toward Tomorrowland for rides before you wish to head out for lunch, then you're right there by the Monorail. We plan to grab a Fastpass to Space Mountain or Star Tours and then break for lunch and return for a few rides then use our Fastpass we got before taking our break. Curious of what others have to say! :surfweb:

Sometimes I think it's nice to get away from the park and go into DTD. We usually stay on site, but even if you aren't, it's not really going out of your way. If I was in either park, I would probably use the monorail from DLR or the GCH exit into DTD(after it switches from on site folks only). It's funny because I don't plan on going to DTD and I even got annoyed at myself last time for making an Anna & Elsa appointment mid-day, but it's so not a big deal. I don't really shop in any DTD shops aside from World of Disney, but it's nice to walk around and let the little play by the fountain, etc.

I honestly didn't know the monorail went to DTD :p good to know. I know we want to eat one meal at Rainforest Cafe, no clue which. We plan to go in October so I have tons of time to play around with the schedule, depending on the Halloween party and stuff. But hopping on the monorail (DS would love that!) and going to eat sounds great!

I know my bff and her bf walked from DL to eat at Earl of Sandwich one day so the walk isn't bad at all.

I honestly didn't know the monorail went to DTD :p good to know. I know we want to eat one meal at Rainforest Cafe, no clue which. We plan to go in October so I have tons of time to play around with the schedule, depending on the Halloween party and stuff. But hopping on the monorail (DS would love that!) and going to eat sounds great!

I know my bff and her bf walked from DL to eat at Earl of Sandwich one day so the walk isn't bad at all.

You shouldn't have any problem at all. As a matter of fact, the monorail station in DTD is right next to the Rainforest Cafe so it really isn't all that different than eating in the park, time-wise.

We have done the Monorail thing a few times and went to eat at Rainforest Café. It doesn't take long at all and the Monorail station is right next door to the Rainforest Café! :thumbsup2

You shouldn't have any problem at all. As a matter of fact, the monorail station in DTD is right next to the Rainforest Cafe so it really isn't all that different than eating in the park, time-wise.

awesome!! Can you take the monorail back into the park? I'm thinking no due to having to check tickets and stuff ????

awesome!! Can you take the monorail back into the park? I'm thinking no due to having to check tickets and stuff ????

Yes you can. They will check your tickets at the gate at the station and then it is all aboard!

Does anyone know if you need a reservation at Rain Forest or do they normally have seating for 6 available at any time?

We love to eat meals in Downtown Disney and the resort hotels. I was a little worried with our last trip since we weren't staying onsite and I thought it may tire us out. But we had no problems. It's always a good idea to get a ressie at the Rainforest Cafe. But I have to say it is our least favorite options in Downtown Disney.

If you are planning on doing a FULL day at the parks...then yes, a nice sit down relaxing lunch break is a great idea on a multi day trip.

If you told me I only had one day in the park...I am grabbing a turkey leg and churro and not stopping till I drop!

We love to eat meals in Downtown Disney and the resort hotels. I was a little worried with our last trip since we weren't staying onsite and I thought it may tire us out. But we had no problems. It's always a good idea to get a ressie at the Rainforest Cafe. But I have to say it is our least favorite options in Downtown Disney.

Rainforest would not be a preferred choice for myself either, but i have a 2 and 3 year old who i think will really enjoy it and since this trip is for them I dont mind eating expensive not so good food just so they can look at fish =)

Rainforest would not be a preferred choice for myself either, but i have a 2 and 3 year old who i think will really enjoy it and since this trip is for them I dont mind eating expensive not so good food just so they can look at fish =)

This made me laugh! DD saw pics of the place and is dying to go there. She'd rather eat at Rainforest Cafe than do a character breakfast in the park :confused3 She's not big on characters though.

Does anyone know if you need a reservation at Rain Forest or do they normally have seating for 6 available at any time?

I highly suggest making a reservation. Rain Forest Café is busy pretty much all the time, and especially during peak meal hours, like lunch. For a party of 6, you can do stand-by, but you might wait an hour or more. If you're planning a mid-day break, make a reservation to save time.

Also, they are not connected to Disney Dining as far as making reservations. You need to call them separately.

Had to share this. On a past trip we made a reservation for 6:00pm at Rainforest and wound up getting there early. We sat at the bar and ordered drinks: my husband got a beer, I got a class of California Pinot Noir and my daughter got a chocolate milk.

The bartender put plain white milk and chocolate sauce in a shaker and shook her chocolate milk! I thought it was awesome! It makes me want to order it every time. "My daughter will have the chocolate milk, shaken, not stirred, please."

I highly suggest making a reservation. Rain Forest Café is busy pretty much all the time, and especially during peak meal hours, like lunch. For a party of 6, you can do stand-by, but you might wait an hour or more. If you're planning a mid-day break, make a reservation to save time. Also, they are not connected to Disney Dining as far as making reservations. You need to call them separately.

I made reservations via DISNEY Dining online last year...you might want to try before calling. Much easier online.

I made reservations via DISNEY Dining online last year...you might want to try before calling. Much easier online.

I will look into that, does online keep a record of all your ressie's you have made? or do you have to keep track of them yourself?

I will look into that, does online keep a record of all your ressie's you have made? or do you have to keep track of them yourself?

It does. Under the Things to Do drop down at the top of the Disneyland website there is a link to My Reservations that should have all of your reservations listed.

It does. Under the Things to Do drop down at the top of the Disneyland website there is a link to My Reservations that should have all of your reservations listed.

Thanks! Im still too far out (bummer :sad: ) to make reservations but as soon as im 60 days out i will try it out.

One other thing to keep in mind when using the online reservation system. If you are making multiple reservations on multiple days don't forget to change the date on the little Check Availability calendar on the right. I forgot to do this last year and had a bunch of reservations on the same day rather than spread out over the week like I wanted. Fortunately caught it when I reviewed my reservations when I was done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter