Dining choices

Imamom2

Mouseketeer
Looking for dining recommendations for our August trip. We have 3 day hoppers. I would love try a sit down inside one of the parks and at one of the resorts. We love QS, too. So what’s your favorite place to eat??

You're going to get about a hundred answers, but we ALWAYS, every trip, go to Biergarten. If you haven't been, I'd highly recommend trying it at least once. The food is decent, but it is more about the experience. Resort-wise Boma or Jiko at AKL or Sanaa at AKV. Very solid restaurants.

How many in your party? Will you have children along? Do you want fine dining, cool atmosphere, more budget-friendly? Any particular foods you prefer or want to avoid? Do you care if it's lunch, dinner, breakfast?

It's very hard to recommend restaurants without a little bit of knowledge about what you're wanting. In Disneyland, for sit down, I love Blue Bayou because you're inside the Pirate ride. I also happen to love the food, but others don't care for it or find it overpriced. Many love Plaza Inn fried chicken (I'm not a big fan but love the look of the restaurant). At DCA, my favorites are Lamplight Lounge (but I usually opt for the Magic Key lounge which may not be an option for you) and Carthay Circle (there's a main restaurant and a bar section with a scaled-back menu). There are lots of QS places that are very good.

At the hotels, Napa Rose is a favorite fine dining (with a big price tag), Storytellers for buffet/character meal, Hearthstone Lounge and the pool terrace. Those are all good although I was not impressed with my last dinner at Napa Rose. At DLH, there is Trader Sam's which is a really fun place to go but can be difficult to get into. However, you can usually get in without any trouble if you're ok sitting outdoors on the lanai, which is pretty cool. There is also Goofy's Kitchen but I haven't been there in years and wasn't fond of it when I did go.

There are several restaurants in DTD but they've been in the process of refurbishment so I'm not sure about some of them. I like Ballast Point and Naples but I don't know the current status of the others.

You're going to get about a hundred answers, but we ALWAYS, every trip, go to Biergarten. If you haven't been, I'd highly recommend trying it at least once. The food is decent, but it is more about the experience. Resort-wise Boma or Jiko at AKL or Sanaa at AKV. Very solid restaurants.
Those are all in WDW and she's wanting Disneyland recs.
Inside the parks, Blue Bayou simply for the ambiance though the food can be hit or miss. I like Carnation Cafe if you can get an outside table. Lamplight Lounge in California Adventure is good. Carthay Circle is also good.

We don't do resort restaurants but we did eat at Trader Sam's when we were having drinks and enjoyed it. People swear by Napa Rose.

QS- Bengal BBQ, Rancho del Zocalo, Jolly Holiday, Ronto Wrap at Ronto Roasters, Pym's Test Kitchen, Pacific Wharf.

In DLR, Blue Bayou for the ambiance. The food is okay, but not great. You are eating there for the experience. Make sure you read up on how to ask (wait) for a waterfront seat. Other than that, Disneyland dining is pretty casual.

In DCA, Carthay Circle, Carthay Circle Lounge or Lamplight Lounge are all nice options. If the weather is nice, we like to sit outside at Lamplight Lounge.

At GCH, Napa Rose. The food is good but pricey. It isn't a quick dining experience, so plan it on a day when you aren't going to return to the parks. It isn't a restaurant for small children. We also like Hearthstone Lounge but the menu is limited. Craftsman Bar by the pool is nice. The portions are large. If you are ordering pizza or nachos, plan on sharing.

We really enjoy the following:

DLR side

QS: Jolly Holiday, Harbour Galley (clam chowder), Rancho del Zocalo
Reservations: Carnation Café (breakfast), Plaza Inn (character breakfast),

DCA side

QS: Smokejumpers Grill, Pacific Wharf Café (bread bowls) , Ghirardelli Soda Fountain (who doesn't love a decedent sundae)
Reservations: Wine Country Trattoria.

DTD
Reservations: Naples (really surprised how goods this place is) and Tortilla Joes (tho on our last visit they ramped up the spice on the food, and it was just to intense to enjoy.

We are planning to try Lamplight lounge (book 60 days in advance) this trip, and at some point would love to try Cathay Circle

Its been a bit rough the past couple years as the quality/service at some places had yet to get back to pre-pandemic performance. Finds from our last trip (last August)

Red Rose Tavern for breakfast has some nice options, decent value and portions. It's quick service and super easy, fast mobile ordering. It's tucked away in Fantasy land and wasn't busy in am.

Dining Packages: I tend to do sit-down meals combined with dining packages to get better seating for parades, nighttime events.
-Plaza Inn usually has a parade deal for lunch and portions are sizable. It more cafeteria style - so you seat yourself once you pick up food.
-Fantasmic is not happening in August, but they might bring something else by then? We use to do River Belle Terrace as we enjoyed the menu and always had a relaxing meal there.
-For WOC - Wine Country Trattoria has been our go-to, nice menu and pretty chill for a lunch/dinner.

We had a lovely brunch at the Lamplight Lounge once. Sat outside watching the Incredicoaster zoom off. Very good food and not hurried service.

We've had some excellent dinners at Napa Rose. It is very expensive and a leisurely meal, but a lovely experience. Our next "splurge" dining we are going to try Carthay Circle.

In DTD, CrazyShakes Window (off of Black Tap) has some epic giant shakes. Three of us (2 adults, 1 kid) couldn't finish one.

I love Carnation Cafe for sit down

In DCA both Pyms test kitchen and the Cars Restaurant are pretty good for quick service and Carsland restraint has some very nice views from the side of the restaurant facing the ride

Wrong forum?

I've made similar mistakes.

In DCA Lamplight is our favorite. The only sit down I like at DL is Carnation Cafe for their fried pickles and potato soup!

I've yet to do a table service inside the parks that I'm good with going back. They've all been meh. I suppose you have to try Blue Bayou as it's the restaurant inside Pirates, so that's cool. Ambience is amazing, food is pretty good, price is absolutely ridiculous.

We enjoy Pym's Test Kitchen as the newest place. Flo's V8 had great ambience day or night, and the food is good. Pacific Wharf has good bread bowl clam chowder - we often do it twice a trip. That's all DCA. DL park has French Quarter Cafe which is good, but not as good as Jazz Kitchen in DD (a must for us each trip). Jolly Holiday always has a crazy long line and slow service, but the grilled cheese and tomato bisque is really awesome. And for the best in DL, Plaza Inn has some great fried chicken.

The only table service we like and think is worth it is the character meal at Paradise Pier. Goofy's Kitchen at DLH is good, but way too pricey.

I've yet to do a table service inside the parks that I'm good with going back. They've all been meh. I suppose you have to try Blue Bayou as it's the restaurant inside Pirates, so that's cool. Ambience is amazing, food is pretty good, price is absolutely ridiculous.

We enjoy Pym's Test Kitchen as the newest place. Flo's V8 had great ambience day or night, and the food is good. Pacific Wharf has good bread bowl clam chowder - we often do it twice a trip. That's all DCA. DL park has French Quarter Cafe which is good, but not as good as Jazz Kitchen in DD (a must for us each trip). Jolly Holiday always has a crazy long line and slow service, but the grilled cheese and tomato bisque is really awesome. And for the best in DL, Plaza Inn has some great fried chicken.

The only table service we like and think is worth it is the character meal at Paradise Pier. Goofy's Kitchen at DLH is good, but way too pricey.
Paradise Pier closed their restaurant several years ago. We did a character brunch before it closed, and it was a great value comparatively. Maybe too good a value. With the PP renovation still going on, I haven't heard what's going to go in it's place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter