• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dining & Dress Codes on Oasis of the Seas

nkereina

Last chance to lose your keys.
Getting ready to book our first Royal Caribbean cruise on Oasis of the Seas. We've cruised once several years ago, and it was a 4 day Carnival cruise. I don't remember much. We'll also be bringing my parents who are first time cruisers.

First, I think it's the My Time Dining we are interested in. We don't want a specific dining time and we don't want to make reservations. I understand that means we may have a wait to be seated. Is it accurate that My Time Dining is what I want to book? Are there any restaurants on board that I absolutely need a reservation for or else we will be out of luck? Also, can we be seated as just the four of us or will we need to be seated with another party?

Second, what's the proper dinner dress code for the main dining room and specialty restaurants on non-formal nights? Would polo shirts and nice jeans/shoes on men be acceptable or are jeans frowned upon? Is it accurate that formal nights are for the main dining rooms AND specialty restaurants as well? And lastly, is it accurate that the Windjammer buffet is always casual?

Thanks for the info!

My experience is that so long as you're not wearing wet swim wear they'll let you into the dining rooms.

Formal nights are for main and specialty restaurants, but I don't think they'll turn you away if you're in your polo and jeans. Tbh, I think the formal nights are more about the photos than the dining. Wearing whatever in the Windjammer should be fine.

We have never done MTD, but if you don't want a set dining time then MTD is what you want. I've read that you may have to wait with MTD if you don't have a reservation, but I've also read that as long as you're not trying to eat at a peak time (6pm-ish) you should be fine. I've read of people being seated with others with MTD, but also being accommodated if they want to eat alone. I imagine asking to eat with just your party may result in a longer wait.

As for dining attire, on non-formal nights you will see most people in a mix of polo-type shirts and tan pants. Ladies may be in a dress or capris. Some people will be in shorts, while some will be in jeans. Some dressier. Some in jeans and T-shirts, but they're in the minority. On formal nights, you'll find a range of attire.... Jeans all the way to tuxes/evening gowns. Again, most people are in the middle making some sort of attempt... Dress pants with a tie and/or sport coat/jacket for the guys.

The Cruise Compass always lists the attire for specialty restaurants as "smart casual." Even on formal night. The website lists a definition for smart casual, but it's basically in between cruise casual and formal. Honestly, we just wear our cruise casual into the specialty restaurants. (Khaki pants and a polo or nice top). We will sometimes purposefully schedule speciality dinners on formal night just so we don't feel like we "have" to dress up. We never feel underdressed in specialty restaurants. We were on Brilliance in December. There was a family that came in to Giovanni's Table where the mother was dressed like us, but the young teen kids were less than dressed up. The daughter literally had on sponge bob pajamas. They were still served with the same level of service as the rest of us.

Windjammer is truly casual. The only requirements, I believe, is that you have shoes on and are wearing more than just a bathing suit. (You must at least have a cover up on). Honestly, I think Izumi is pretty casual too. When we ate in there on the Allure, I'd say most people were in jeans/shorts and T-shirts.

You are always encouraged by the ship to make reservations for speciality meals early in the week, but they also always seem to have servers strolling the ship offering information about the restaurants and asking if you want a reservation. So you may be able to get something last minute. The only restaurant you may truly HAVE to have a reservation for is Chef's Table.

Last edited:

We always do MTD. DH HATES dressing up and we still go to the MDR on formal nights. He usually just wears khakis and a polo shirt. We have never been kicked out. He does not normally bring jeans to the caribbean or Florida, but if he did he would wear them. Gone are the days when everyone dresses up to the nines, although many still do. As someone said above, you will see a range from jeans to tuxes. Be prepared for some dirty looks on formal night if you are wearing jeans/shorts by some people who still believe formal night should be formal, but I have not noticed any looks toward us. I tend to ignore them anyway :)

I've done the "freestyle" cruising on Norwegian cruise line. Sounds the same as My Time dining for you. I was actually surprised by how very little people dressed up. I usually felt overdressed, and I was only wearing a casual dress.

Last year we went on a 4-night cruise where we did not bring any formal attire. We were in a Grand Suite that cruise, and planned to order room service and eat on our balcony because we could order off the full dining room menu. Well, it was February. It was cool and windy and we couldn't eat on our balcony. We didn't want to eat in our room, so we went to the dining room in our khakis and nice-ish tops. We're in our early 30s. Everyone at our table of 12 was at least 60 and dressed to the nines. One lady did give us a look, but no one else said anything or gave us an indication that they cared. If people do care, it's their fault for worrying about others on their vacation. :)

We're on Oasis right now. Went to Giovanni's the other night on formal night. Most people were dressed middle of the road, no one was in suits, but several people were in suits/ties. I did notice some people in shorts and polos/button up shirts. The servers don't care.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter