• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dining Dress

knoble2

Earning My Ears
We and my wife are going to Disney next week for our Honeymoon. We have never been before and were just wondering about how to dress for some of the restaurants.
We have ADR for California Grill, Be our Guest, Story Book Dining at Artist Point, and Ohana.
I know California Grill has a dress code. I was wondering if I wore golf shorts and a polo and she wore either a spring dress or dress short and a polo if that was acceptable?
I didn't know if with the others it really mattered or we could just wear what we wear to the parks those days?

I was wondering if I wore golf shorts and a polo and she wore either a spring dress or dress short and a polo if that was acceptable?

Yes, those things are fine for virtually anywhere at Disney.

Be our Guest is inside the park, so certainly whatever you normally wear at Disney is fine. We ate at Ohana's a few months ago and didn't notice any specific dress code. With most Disney restaurants you can't wear something like a swimsuit, but practially anything else is fine. The Disney website lists the restaurants and what sort of things are acceptable, mostly for the more upscale places.

You will see a very wide range of dressiness at these restaurants. Some will wear t-shirts and shorts. You really can wear whatever you want as long as it doesn't violate the "don't" section of the dress code. As for what is appropriate - that's a personal decision. Personally, I'm very comfortable in nice jeans or khakis with a polo or collared shirt. My wife usually wears jeans and a nice top to these places. No where in WDW really requires serious dressing up except V&A.

Husband and I did California Grill on our honeymoon after a full day in the parks. I wore a casual dress and he changed from his t-shirt into a polo for dinner, and we were pretty on par with just about everyone else there. You should be fine.

We and my wife are going to Disney next week for our Honeymoon. We have never been before and were just wondering about how to dress for some of the restaurants.
We have ADR for California Grill, Be our Guest, Story Book Dining at Artist Point, and Ohana.
I know California Grill has a dress code. I was wondering if I wore golf shorts and a polo and she wore either a spring dress or dress short and a polo if that was acceptable?
I didn't know if with the others it really mattered or we could just wear what we wear to the parks those days?

You'll be fine wearing those choice of outfits to any of the eateries you are considering and in truth all table service restaurants excepting Victoria and Albert's. Your clothing style is also our park wear so that we can go from rides to dinner with ease.

Last edited:
Cali Grill dress code is listed as: California Grill requests that gentlemen wear jeans, slacks, khakis, or dress shorts with a collared shirt (but jackets are optional). Ladies are expected to wear skirts, dresses, capris, jeans, or dress shorts and a nice top.

That being said, we were there last Sunday night and there were people in t-shirts, ripped jeans, etc. So, they certainly won't kick you out if you don't follow dress code to a T. I was wearing a nice, casual dress and my BF was wearing a polo and shorts, we felt comfortable with our choices.

When we eat at signatures, we dress exactly how you described. I generally wear a knit dress and my DH wears khaki shorts and either a polo or Hawaiian shirt.

Storybook dining will be fine in whatever you choose to wear. Most people were dressed in shorts and t shirts or polos last week. Some were a bit fancier. The A/C tends to be quite cold in the resort restaurants so be prepared for goosebumps if you wear short sleeves.

We arrived at CA Grill early to check in - had planned to wander the resort - only to have person at check in desk ask if I was going to be changing the shirt my 9 year old son was wearing.

Apparently the shirt with collar rule applied to him as well. So instead of enjoying our time we - without success - attempted to find such a shirt in the hotel gift shops - then got back on a boat to WL - I ran up to room while DH and DS waited at the docks - ran back, changed him and took the boat back.

For some reason it just never occurred to me that I needed to follow that rule for DS. And then to see what some of the people there were wearing I was like whaaaa???

Whatever, life goes on :)

I took my 2 teens to CG & read them the dress code before going & they complied. Then they spent the entire meal pointing out infractions. Some where multiple on one person.

Personally, I like to dress up for a night on the town & would certainly do that for my anniversary. I wouldn't be trying to cut the dress code close or barely get by. I'd be going over the top...I might wear my tiara princess:

In general, any in park restaurant is park attire.
Some of the resort restaurants can be a littel dressier, but you will see all types of attire.
Outside of Victoria and Alberts, polo shirt and khakis are adequate.

We arrived at CA Grill early to check in - had planned to wander the resort - only to have person at check in desk ask if I was going to be changing the shirt my 9 year old son was wearing.

Apparently the shirt with collar rule applied to him as well. So instead of enjoying our time we - without success - attempted to find such a shirt in the hotel gift shops - then got back on a boat to WL - I ran up to room while DH and DS waited at the docks - ran back, changed him and took the boat back.

For some reason it just never occurred to me that I needed to follow that rule for DS. And then to see what some of the people there were wearing I was like whaaaa???

Whatever, life goes on :)
That is strange. The last time we ate there I was shocked at the number of people in t-shirts (and not dressy ones). And clear violations of their dress code.
Maybe they are back to trying to enforce thier dress code again.

I would suggest making a better effort for California Grill. Not because you would be under-dressed in the attire you describe (though ... you would be) but because you would be robbing yourself of the moral superiority to judge the slobs who somehow feel that since CG isn't really enforcing their dress code, it somehow doesn't apply to them.

Dressing as you describe would skirt you in just under the letter of the recommended attire CG posts and no one will fault you for it. But rolling in with some french cuffs and a waistcoat (leave the jacket at home, this is Florida after all) lets the staff know you are willing to put in a little more effort because you value the experience they provide.

I would suggest making a better effort for California Grill. Not because you would be under-dressed in the attire you describe (though ... you would be) but because you would be robbing yourself of the moral superiority to judge the slobs who somehow feel that since CG isn't really enforcing their dress code, it somehow doesn't apply to them.

Dressing as you describe would skirt you in just under the letter of the recommended attire CG posts and no one will fault you for it. But rolling in with some french cuffs and a waistcoat (leave the jacket at home, this is Florida after all) lets the staff know you are willing to put in a little more effort because you value the experience they provide.

Cali Grill is an awesome restaurant, but its not that nice lol.

Bah. It's not about hitting some level of formality. It's about making deliberate choices to reflect your environment. It could be anything as long as we're not talking about something you would wear to a golf outing. A linen shirt and a waistcoat is just my first recommendation. I like to start with something formal and preserve just an essence of that style. So I leave the tie and the jacket at home, but pair up a nice waistcoat to keep from just rocking up there in a plain shirt.

I will say it this way. No one ever regrets being just slightly overdressed. And I've never been the most formal at CG in any of the ... maybe 9 or 10 dinners I've had there.

Not because you would be under-dressed in the attire you describe (though ... you would be) but because you would be robbing yourself of the moral superiority to judge the slobs who somehow feel that since CG isn't really enforcing their dress code, it somehow doesn't apply to them.
:rotfl::rotfl2: Thank you I needed a laugh.:thanks: Seriously, they should enforce it for all. We were going to go for brunch but can’t get a reservation. Still taking a nice outfit just incase.

You’re probable right but it is funny.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter