dining good on a budget-please include your favorites

trampslady

<font color=green>I stop and watch the Norway vide
Okay, we just got back three weeks ago but the AP's are burning a whole in our pockets. My husband and I are going again this Thursday for three quick nights and two full days of MAGIC!! I'm justifying this trip by avoiding our beloved Animal Kingdom Lodge and staying at All Star Movies (never been!). I also wanted to try to skimp on food $$ if possible. We typically eat at sit-down places so I need help on the best counter service deals or even sit down that are good quality for the $$.

MK-Casey's is now a tradition so at least one meal is covered there.

AK-Flametree if it is open

MGM-need serious help....Brown Derby is our norm

Epcot-we have dined around the world before but any suggested dinner spots would be helpful!

MGM - try Rosie's on Sunset (By Rock & Roller Coaster & Tower of Terror). Lots of choices in one location. Burgers, hot dogs, baked potatoes, turkey legs, fresh fruit/veggies. Or else a lot of people enjoy the Backlot Express or ABC Comissary.

Epcot - Cantina de San Angel is pretty good. The Yakitori House is one of my favorites (Japan). France is always good ;)...

Try looking at the menus on wdwig.com. They are pretty thorough and it's always fun to read them when you're planning!

Have a good time! :)

My wife and I just returned from a Disney Christmas and like yourselves we enjoy sit down meals at the better restaurants.
With that said, we spent quite a bit on food this last trip which got me thinking about checking out some of the counter service restaurants. At MGM we both thought the Commissary menu looked appealling. One place we did actually try was Yakitori House in Japan. It was very tasty and the portions were plentiful.
Not having much experience in this area I will be watching this thread for advice.

I forgot to mention that the Food Court in the Land pavillion in Epcot has a lot of choices. It was very good the last time I ate there, but that was awhile back now, and I have read some less than favorable reviews since. Perhaps if you search this board to see if there are any recent reviews of it, it might help. :)

We really enjoy Pecos Bill's at MK. The food seems better to us than most other counter service and they have a great bar to dress your burgers/ hot dogs etc..

Dining on a budget... not usually in our vocabulary, either, but we will be in the same boat in March... trying to save up for our move!

Anyway, I digress...

We really enjoy the burgers at Pecos Bill's in MK... large, and the fixings bar is the best this side of.... well, you know! Cosmic Ray's is also really good!

MGM: this is always a dilemma, as we aren't really overly fond of any of the counter service places, but have found we can get by cheaply by splitting a flatbread pizza at Mama Melrose, and get the kid's spaghetti for DD. Our current favorite right now is 50's Prime Time, and no matter what, we budget so we can eat lunch there. Can't get out of there too cheaply, though, as I always have to have the potroast, DH gets either the potroast or the meatloaf, and we have to have those S'Mores for dessert...lol!

Epcot: another toughy! The Yorkshire Fish and Chips is pretty good, and we also like the Japanese takeout (Yakatori House??). We like the dinner at Garden Grille, and you can split a meal at Le Cellier, and not break the bank. Many times we duck out the back, and eat at the Clam Bake at Cape May Cafe. May not be cheap, but we definitely always get our money's worth!

As for the resorts, we like the food at the food court at PO-FQ. The chicken meals there remind us of those at Tusker House in AK. Also, they have good pizza... very filling, made on the premises, with your choice of 4 or 5 toppings for one price.

Also remember, you can often eat lunch less expensively that you can eat dinner, so plan on the latest lunch you can get, and that should tie you over!

Bon Apetit!

How about the Plaza restaurant in the MK? Not to be confused with the Plaza pavillion which is around the corner. The Plaza Restaurant is on Main Street on the right across from Casey's Corner. They have some very good sandwiches/salads/burgers and decadent ice cream! It's inside aka air conditioned, sit down and reasonably priced for the large portions that you get. Also, you can get a very nice lunch at the Liberty Tree Tavern in the MK. Great atmosphere and more moderately priced than dinner there. I could fill up on those rolls alone! Yum!

If you you want to do some sitdown meals, why not do lunch instead of dinner? Prices are a good bit better, then you can do counter service for dinner. With your AP, you'll save 10% (every little bit helps) at Epcot on a weekday -- Friday may be the only one you have, though. Last summer, dh and I had a nice and not too expensive lunch at Mama Melrose -- sent the kids' to Pizza Planet. ABC Commissary is pretty good, too, and has a diverse menu. In MK, I like Columbia Harbor House.

I'll second Pecos Bills! I also love Tusker House at AK. You can do the meal deal at AK and have lunch, ice cream and a soda for around $11. Best deal around.

My recommendations

MGM Sit down
Hollywood & Vine

MGM counter
ABC Commissary
Backlot Express
Toy Story Pizza Planet

Epcot counter service
Sommerfest in Germany
Pure & Simple in Wonders of Life

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter