Dining plan coming back!

I read through this quickly but it didn’t specifically state dvc is included… but it is right? I’m a new member who has never utilized dining plan before.

I’m new to DVC. How does this work for DVC members? Also, I’m resale do not sure how that factors in.

If you read the announcement, it says that to get it, it must be a package that includes "tickets and hotel". In the past, they allowed even cash guests to book something like a ticketless package...for those that had AP's...in order to add the plan. Right now, that doesn't seem to be an option.

For DVC, we could add it it as an add on to our reservations and it was full price. If deals came out like "free dining" we did not qualify as those are only for those who book at WDW hotel for cash.

There was no distinction between direct and resale for the adding of the dining plan and I don't see them deciding to do it because you are paying full price, so there is no need to keep anyone out of buying it, assuming they decide to let DVC owners purchase.

I was enjoying not having to say cash not dining plan and then get told every time I order something outside the plan that it was not on the plan I was not using.

https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2023/05/08/disney-dining-plan-will-return-in-2024/

According to DFB, APs and DVC will be able to add the dining plan.
But this makes it sound like you have to buy a room and tickets to get the dinning plan. Disney Dining Plans are pre-purchased and added onto a Disney Vacation Package (i.e. you must be staying on a Vacation Package at a Disney owned-and-operated hotel, and have purchased at least one ticket per person), so that all you have to do when you get to Disney World is head to a restaurant on the list, eat, and scan your card.

But this makes it sound like you have to buy a room and tickets to get the dinning plan. Disney Dining Plans are pre-purchased and added onto a Disney Vacation Package (i.e. you must be staying on a Vacation Package at a Disney owned-and-operated hotel, and have purchased at least one ticket per person), so that all you have to do when you get to Disney World is head to a restaurant on the list, eat, and scan your card.
That was how it was previously phrased as well. DVC had an exception to add it.

We are new to this as well. Could someone explain a little more how it used to work with DVC?

I'd be interested to see if it actually saves any money. For example, direct DVC discounts on dining are pretty significant. I'm assuming there would be no DVC discount on the dining plan, lol. Would really need to crunch the numbers to see which route is the better value.

I'd be interested to see if it actually saves any money. For example, direct DVC discounts on dining are pretty significant. I'm assuming there would be no DVC discount on the dining plan, lol. Would really need to crunch the numbers to see which route is the better value.
DVC discount was 10%, the Dining Plan worked for us 1/2 the time. I would work out where we were eating and average out. If it was close we would get the plan for ease. If not then dine anywhere. I will say, with the plan it was less stressful as I did not worry if my kids wanted anything,,order what you want.
Now if TiW comes back that is a different story

DVC discount was 10%, the Dining Plan worked for us 1/2 the time. I would work out where we were eating and average out. If it was close we would get the plan for ease. If not then dine anywhere. I will say, with the plan it was less stressful as I did not worry if my kids wanted anything,,order what you want.
Now if TiW comes back that is a different story

I never got a DVC discount off the dining plan

We used to do the Quick Service plan and always came out ahead. Both my wife and I love our breakfast. Get a nice breakfast in the morning, bring a couple of sandwiches with us for lunch, and use the second Quick Service for Dinner. The quality of food had already started to decrease significantly by 2010 that the Quick Service quality was on par with a full table service. Places like the Flame Tree in AK or Wolfgang Puck Express (RIP) were go to places. On an 8 day vacation, maybe 2 times we would feel like a sit down and never had a problem finding something last minute. Pre Covid, Be Our Guest in MK for lunch was considered a Quick Service-- loved going there and taking in the atmosphere and a really solid meal that of course had to include the grey stuff desert (cupcake with whipped cream topping).

Last edited:
My issue is the menus only recently recovered from the DDP - things were on the upswing. Now it may go back to DDP friendly options.

My issue is the menus only recently recovered from the DDP - things were on the upswing. Now it may go back to DDP friendly options.
As well, there were definitely dining experiences that were priced at an inflated rate to build the value prop for DDP. Thinking back on the old BOG QS meals. They weren't even proportional to other QS in MK, but were the constant example of "look how much you save!" for DDP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter