Dining Plan options for DVC members

1princessesmom

Mouseketeer
I have been reading about the Dining Plans available at WDW. Are these plans available for DVC members staying on points to purchase? If so, would I purchase them through ms or somewhere else? Thanks in advance for the help.

Not at this time. They are working so that they will be available in the future.

Rence said:
Not at this time. They say they are working so that they will be available in the future.

I made a little correction, hope you dont mind. :paw:

Not at this time. They say they are working so that some form of dining plan will be available in the future.

And I hope you don't mind that I made a little correction to your correction :cool1:

Since I have an AP, we get the DDE (Disney Dining Experience) card for $50 a year. If you are a FL resident (without AP) you can get it for $75/ year. This takes 20% off most table service restaurants and a few counter service dining facilities and includes all beverages. It's good for up to 10 people in your party as long as you pay. (You just have to make the others pay you back).

Tollerwalker said:
Can't you still buy Magic Your Play + Dining for WDW?

Not if you are staying on points. The dining plan is tied to the full price ROOM reservation, not the park tickets, and is part of a package. Currently the only options are the % off dining discounts offered at sleect locations to DVC members, or purchasing a AP and DDE.

The DDE works out well for most folks, especially considering the discount members get on APs.

Unless I'm mistaken, the dining plan is an incentive through CRO to boost reservations at the rack rate. Since we are already getting up to 70% off by being DVC members, I'm not confident that we'll be seeing a discount meal plan that works the same as magic your way.

I'm guessing that after Magical Express starts charging, some sort of meal plan would be tied to ME purchase/usage. (extract more $$ from more people while keeping them on property- Disney would not introduce something that would lower their profit). Whatever they come up with, I'm sure that it won't be a good deal in all cases. Getting discounted APs + DDE is a pretty good deal already. But, not all like it.

I am confident that some form of a meal plan is coming. I was at the talk given by Jim Lewis, head of DVC on the member cruise. This was one of the questions that he addressed.

He stated that they are working on it right now. The hold up is that it requires changes to the computer system to support it and that a project is underway to make those changes right now. He said that it was not a matter of "if" but it was a matter of "when" that it "will" happen. He said that they hoped to be able to provide a time-frame in which it would happen by the end of the year. Not that it would happen by the end of the year, but that an announcement would be made by the end of the year regarding when it would be available.

Don't suppose you got his email address? I would love to talk to someone about why I can't buy my DVC direct from Disney . . .

Tollerwalker said:
Don't suppose you got his email address? I would love to talk to someone about why I can't buy my DVC direct from Disney . . .

Unless there is a problem with your credit, it probably has to do with your state or country laws (depending on where you live). In most US states, timeshares have to go through an approval process for EACH state to be allowed to market and sell there, and some states don't allow out-of-state timeshares sales from the developer within their borders at all, or take a very long time for approval, so you'd have to buy in person in Florida.

Tollerwalker said:
Assuming your talking a retail purchase of DVC points, it' usually associate with whether DVC is registered to sell in your state or Country. And it will vary by resort to a degree as each must be registered separately.

I just bought into the DVC and I asked this exact question to our guide on the tour and he stated that they are currently working on a point cost for the dining plan, so in the future you could use your points to get dining options. . .

caelwind said:
I just bought into the DVC and I asked this exact question to our guide on the tour and he stated that they are currently working on a point cost for the dining plan, so in the future you could use your points to get dining options. . .

Interesting. Somehow, I doubt members would find that use of points to their advantage. Even at value of $10 per point and giving DVC the same price as package guests, it would be 4 points per adult per day, I don't think I'd spend 8 points per day for two people to eat.

caelwind said:

I thought it was a violation of timeshare agreement with the states to use the property for things other than property. You can use points to stay in Disney properties or trade out for non-Disney properties, but you can't use your points for non-stays. Kind of like the ticket options that were discussed quite a while ago. I could be wrong, though.

If you used points for meals, that would probably be like trading to a non-DVC stay, if it were possible. So Disney would have your points to trade out to non-members.

I don't think I would use points for meals.

Yikes. DDE works fine for me and I get 20% off drinks, too. Why would I want to spend points for meals?

Deb & Bill said:
I thought it was a violation of timeshare agreement with the states to use the property for things other than property. You can use points to stay in Disney properties or trade out for non-Disney properties, but you can't use your points for non-stays. Kind of like the ticket options that were discussed quite a while ago. I could be wrong, though.
No, else there would be no CC, DC, or Adventurer collection. As these are actual cash exchanges.

Dean said:
No, else there would be no CC, DC, or Adventurer collection. As these are actual cash exchanges.

But they are for accomodations. The product understanding checklist says "Vacation Points have no value other than being a vehicle to use your Ownership Interest to reserve accomodations".

I have concerns about points being used for dining. This would take rooms out of the member points inventory and into DVC's hands to rent for cash. They would need to take some extra points for their administration of the plan, that is one of the reasons why trade outs are so much more than DVC rooms. I would bet it would be more than 4 points per night per adult.

Just wondering has any one else found that the meals have lost some of their quality once the meal plan has been started? When we were at BCV in July we found that some of the meals in the parks have gotten pretty bad, we ended up eating mostly in the Epcot hotel area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter