Dining Plan options for DVC members

We are renting points in March. Will this qualify us "temporary" DVC members and allow us the DVC discount?

xraydave said:
We are renting points in March. Will this qualify us "temporary" DVC members and allow us the DVC discount?
Not sure what discount you are talking about. If you mean the DDE, the answer is no. The DDE is available to Florida residents (for $75) and to annual passholders (for $50). DVC membership alone doesn't qualify anyone to purchase DDE.

Most DVC member discounts/perks are not available to renters as you need to show your blue membership card to receive them. If your resot ID says "Member" on it, you may be able to get some of the discounts. Ask at each establishment if you are interested. You should get a list of the perks/benefits at check in, since you are staying on points. Front Desk won't necessarily know (or care) that you are not members.

Best wishes -

CarolMN said:

Most DVC member discounts/perks are not available to renters as you need to show your blue membership card to receive them. If your resot ID says "Member" on it, you may be able to get some of the discounts. Ask at each establishment if you are interested. You should get a list of the perks/benefits at check in, since you are staying on points. Front Desk won't necessarily know (or care) that you are not members.

Best wishes -

When we rented in Aug we used our room key card to purchase everything at all the parks. We never mentioned the discount but we received it about half the time. I think it is dependent upon how knowledgable or how busy the CM is at the time.
Have a nice trip

DebbieB said:
But they are for accomodations. The product understanding checklist says "Vacation Points have no value other than being a vehicle to use your Ownership Interest to reserve accomodations".

I have concerns about points being used for dining. This would take rooms out of the member points inventory and into DVC's hands to rent for cash. They would need to take some extra points for their administration of the plan, that is one of the reasons why trade outs are so much more than DVC rooms. I would bet it would be more than 4 points per night per adult.
YOu are misreading that info. It is simply a statement that means your ownership is in a real estate interest and that points simply "represent" that interest and have no value in and of themselves. DVC could allow points to be used for passes (which they've discussed) or meal plans, but I doubt we'll ever see it. Frankly I doubt we'll see any meal plan at all but for those that would like to have the plan, I hope I'm wrong.

Tollerwalker said:
What is DDE?

Disney Dining Experience - which used to be available to Florida residents but is now made available to AP holders with a discount. I believe it cost $50 (after the discount) and is good for one year. A DDE card will be mailed to you which you show when eating at a wide selection of WDW restaurants. I believe most discounts are 20% off the bill including alcohol. You can also get a second card free of charge for a spouse of family member over 21. Hope this helps. Annmarie

I inquired about meal plans when using our points in December 2004 and I was told that it was in the works. I guess if computers are involved maybe a year for development is not that long.

DisneyCrazy123 said:
I inquired about meal plans when using our points in December 2004 and I was told that it was in the works. I guess if computers are involved maybe a year for development is not that long.
My suspicion is this is simply a brush off, that WDW has no intention of offering it to DVC members. But time will tell. They've been "working on" fixing the way transferred points are handled since at least 1999.

DIS4MYGIRLS said:
Just wondering has any one else found that the meals have lost some of their quality once the meal plan has been started? When we were at BCV in July we found that some of the meals in the parks have gotten pretty bad, we ended up eating mostly in the Epcot hotel area.

I noticed that the buffets offer fewer food choices. We went to YC Galley for breakfast and was disappointed. They had limited hot foods and it was expensive. We were hanging around it wondering what we'd eat that was appealing. Then, I heard another customer ask to speak to a Manager and asked where did all the buffet choices go? So yes, I agree that with the meal plans, they have downsized the quality of the meals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter