Dining Plan with "Disney Adult"

Castlequeen5

DIS Veteran
We're using the DDP this summer for the first time. Can kids who are "Disney adults" order the specialty drinks, some of which come in souvenir cups with glow cubes? I understand that those are extras. But I was wondering if that only applies to children 4-9 on the child's plan. Since most of the alcoholic drinks cost the same or more, it seems that's it would be a fair trade for children on the adult plan. Actually, it seems like it would be an option for anyone on the adult plan that doesn't get an alcoholic beverage. Does anyone have experience or information about this?

I don't have experience with your specific question, but I do know that when you are asking about substitutions on the DDP, you cannot use price comparison to justify - the way that the restaurant gets reimbursed doesn't have as much to do with the menu pricing as you might think. An example is that you generally can't substitute a dessert for an appetizer, even if they are identically priced, and it's because of the way the reimbursements are done behind the scenes. You can always ask, but have a backup in case it's not something they can do.

I think it is bizarre to qualify a child of 10 years as an adult on the DDP.

My kids couldn't possibly eat adult portions. DH ends up picking at their food and finishing things for them. Meal sharing might work if they ordered the same meals.

I really think the cut-off should be 12 or 13.

My kids couldn't possibly eat adult portions. DH ends up picking at their food and finishing things for them. Meal sharing might work if they ordered the same meals.

While I do agree with you, Disney is unlikely to change.
The best solution would be go without the DDP if it does not work in your particular situation.

While I do agree with you, Disney is unlikely to change.
The best solution would be go without the DDP if it does not work in your particular situation.
Too late. They are all over 12 now.

I just think that it was an odd age to pick. In most places, kids are considered kids for pricing under the age of 12 or 13.

I absolutely agree that they won't change. They would lose a lot of money. That's not happening.

We're using the DDP this summer for the first time. Can kids who are "Disney adults" order the specialty drinks, some of which come in souvenir cups with glow cubes? I understand that those are extras. But I was wondering if that only applies to children 4-9 on the child's plan. Since most of the alcoholic drinks cost the same or more, it seems that's it would be a fair trade for children on the adult plan. Actually, it seems like it would be an option for anyone on the adult plan that doesn't get an alcoholic beverage. Does anyone have experience or information about this?
Souvenir cups are not included and while the dining plan also says glow cubes are not, that seems more variable. Some places may include it while others will not. You can ask when ordering the drink. Third party restaurants, however, adhere to the rules of the dining plan because they are reimbursed by Disney according to the rules of the plan so they are less flexible. From the dining plan page on the Disney website:
What's Not Included

• Items that are more than a single serving (such as a box of doughnuts or a jar of peanut butter)
  • Items (such as popcorn or drinks) that are served in a souvenir container
  • Items sold from recreational rental counters
  • Items considered to be merchandise (such as bottle toppers, glow cubes and bottle straps)
  • Special dining events offered at certain Table-Service locations

I don't have experience with your specific question, but I do know that when you are asking about substitutions on the DDP, you cannot use price comparison to justify - the way that the restaurant gets reimbursed doesn't have as much to do with the menu pricing as you might think. An example is that you generally can't substitute a dessert for an appetizer, even if they are identically priced, and it's because of the way the reimbursements are done behind the scenes. You can always ask, but have a backup in case it's not something they can do.
I didn't realize that could be an issue. Thanks for the tip!

I agree...well my son could! Ha!

Thanks for all the information! Hopefully my "adult" kiddos will be happy with their drink selections!

Thanks for all the information! Hopefully my "adult" kiddos will be happy with their drink selections!

My 17 YO DGD and my DH enjoyed a lot of the specialty non alcoholic beverages. They are pricy but included on the DDP. There ae soeme really fun drinks for folks who do ntoliek alcohol.

Ten year olds can ride pretty much everything, therefore adult tickets.
Disney did used to have the dining break at 12. The two separate ages probably resulted in so many complaints, they coordinated the two.
My kids couldn't possibly eat adult portions.
The dining plans don't work for everyone. If your children aren't going to eat adult portions, maybe rethink getting the plan? Even free is a bad deal if you're going to lose value at every meal.

I think the bigger decision for 10 and over is what kids eat. Most kids at 10 and older no longer want chicken nuggets or a hot dog... While there are some great options at some places the portions are tiny at best... Disney no longer gives kids price break as a lot of places do to get adults to eat... Kids want to eat they pay the same inflated price adults do.... I know people would love to get the benefit at Buffets but as I said it is few and far between that will actually eat a Disney child size portion of the very few decent things at the Buffets.... Lets face it if there is Salmon and hot dogs at a Buffet which would you want your child to eat?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter