Dining Question

Jo-Anne

DIS Veteran
Just wondering if, by chance, one night all our kids want to eat early at buffet or with kids club, and DH and I and our friends are on our own by dinner time, is it possible to switch to late dining for just one night so we can take our time getting ready and not feel too rushed? Anyone tried this?
Thanks, Jo

I don't think that switching your dining times for one evening would be possible. They either assign late or early dining times for the entire length of the cruise. Perhaps Palo would answer this though?

Hi Jo-Anne.

the 9 - 13 year olds might want to eat on their own and go to movies etc. later. Are there any rules around what ages are allowed to go through the buffet by themselves?

I question the advisability of allowing 9 to 13 year old children having "run of the ship" priviledges. It may well be a Disney ship, but it is still a ship at sea with over 2500 cruisers - and you're willing to bet the welfare of your kids that they are all "normal."

I'm not trying to be mean. It just surprises me that certain people seem to think the safety of their children is provided solely by the ship's crew.

Also, even the best of children can act irresponsibly when away from their parents and/or structured supervision.

My personal opinion would be to sign all of the children into the appropriate Kids Club/Lab...

Originally posted by Buckaroo's Dad
Hi Jo-Anne.

I question the advisability of allowing 9 to 13 year old children having "run of the ship" priviledges. It may well be a Disney ship, but it is still a ship at sea with over 2500 cruisers - and you're willing to bet the welfare of your kids that they are all "normal."

I'm not trying to be mean. It just surprises me that certain people seem to think the safety of their children is provided solely by the ship's crew.

Also, even the best of children can act irresponsibly when away from their parents and/or structured supervision.

My personal opinion would be to sign all of the children into the appropriate Kids Club/Lab...
BD -
Couldn't have said it better myself.

BD - I did expect someone to comment on the appropriateness of what I was asking, and I understand your thinking around that and I don't want this to turn into a flaming thread, but then I also question why Disney would allow 8 & 9 year olds to sign themselves in and out of the clubs by themselves, with parents consent of course? I do not expect anyone except myself and DH to have the safety of my children in mind, but if the 13 year olds are old enough to babysit (there are 2 13 year olds and one 9 year old that I was asking about), and the parents trust them, then I was thinking about this more in that light.

Jo-Anne,

why Disney would allow 8 & 9 year olds to sign themselves in and out of the clubs by themselves

I don't believe DCL allows children sign out priviledges until age 10.

if the 13 year olds are old enough to babysit

I don't feel any 13-year-old is mature enough to babysit.

I do not expect anyone except myself and DH to have the safety of my children in mind

Well, apparently you, DH and a couple of 13-year olds.

Jo-Anne, as you can plainly see I am a member of The Amber Alert Network. Even the most safety-conscious parents can have a child fall victim to predators within our midst. Why give advantage to a terrible situation???...

Originally posted by Buckaroo's Dad
I don't believe DCL allows children sign out priviledges until age 10.

Two weeks ago they asked us if we wanted to give our 9 yr old sign in/sign out privledges. This past May they asked us the same thing when she was still 8.

They did not offer that to us in the 5-7 group for our son, so seems like the age of allowability is 8.

To bring this back to the original topic,

Since you are assigned a particular table for each meal, you might have to sit on someone's lap for that meal.

In other words, as usual, I agree with Travis you probably can't switch for one evening.

Palos it is!

Jim

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter