Dining Reservations at UOR/City Walk

BroadwayHermione5

DIS Veteran
Hi All,

First and foremost I hope you are staying safe! Second, I thank you all for your help so far. While we have visited UOR in the past, we've never stayed on property and you all have been a big help.

My question today is I have heard since the parks reopened last year after the pandemic that you should reserve asap if you want to eat at a certain place, especially at City Walk. How far in advance should you reserve? Our trip isn't until months from now and I know a lot can still change but we would rather be safe then sorry.

Thank you.

BroadwayHermione5 :)

Last edited:
For dinner at Toothsome, aim for a month or more out for busy days (Fri, Sat, Sun). Almost everything else, 2 weeks is more than sufficient. Many times you can make same day dinner reservations. Lunch reservations generally have more availability than dinner. Busiest time is 6-8pm.

I'd consider getting a rough plan together to book for 2 weeks out if there are places you really want to eat dinners. And book Toothsome earlier than that if possible, or plan it for lunch.

I'm not an expert, but I have already made my Toothsome and Mythos reservations for a trip the first week of August. Since I knew I wanted those two and I had a good idea of which days, I didn't see the point in waiting. Closer to our trip I will decide if we need other reservations.

We came up out of the parks & ate at Citywalk restaurants (Bubba Gump, Hard Rock & NBC Sports) for lunch last week on our vacay & no ressies needed for lunch at any of them at all. I think it's primarily after 4 or so/dinners that you might want a reservation if you have your heart set on some place specific.

I've booked our Toothsome, Mythos, Cowfish res' for July already. Still trying to decide what else might be worth the reservation or if we should just snag more toothsome lol.

Before covid I would have said maybe a week ahead if you want to be sure of getting something like Mythos.

That being said I've already made dining reservations for our July trip - everything is different now!

We booked about a month out - we leave in just under 2 weeks.

We were able to get Vivo and Cowfish at Citywalk, if we wanted it bigfire was also available. Our hotel dining was completely booked up for our arrival day but I was able to get breakfast reservations at the Hard Rock for our leave day.

I assume the walk up counter at Toothsome is still open? The meals here don't appeal but I know we'll want to stop for shakes again.

Of course if you want anything on Disney property - including Disney Springs- be sure and look up when your booking window opens. We are slated there for dinner one night but literally nothing is open for table service. We may wind up at McDonalds that night.

I listen to a Universal specific podcast that has a travel agent (not DIS) as one of the hosts. She has indicated to book as soon as possible. Universal has gone the route of 6 month advanced dining reservation. For my trip in April, we booked this months in advance and we ate at Toothsome, Mythos and Cow Fish. Once they increase capacity at restaurants, you may find it easier to get bookings closer to the trip. But if you know you want to eat at a particular place, go ahead and book it as soon as possible.

I did see people trying to do the walk up availability for both Cow Fish and Toothsome. There were none available at that time. Granted this was prime time dinner times. Off times may not be much of an issue.

Thank you all! We are finalizing where we want to eat and once we have reached that point I will book it-while we are still months out I would rather be safe than sorry!

I'm not an expert, but I have already made my Toothsome and Mythos reservations for a trip the first week of August. Since I knew I wanted those two and I had a good idea of which days, I didn't see the point in waiting. Closer to our trip I will decide if we need other reservations.
Same here! I’m so used to the 180 ADRs for Disney that it was the first thing I thought of after we decided on this trip. I made one at Toothsome for Aug last night 😆

I was in Universal last week. We made original reservations about a month and a half out. Due to some "kitchen difficulties" at Toothsome the night of our reservation we were able to get a reservation at Big Fire that night and Toothsome the following day. We enjoyed Big Fire on night #1 so much we canceled our dining res for night #3 at 1100 and got a res at Big Fire for 5:30pm that same night. They seemed to have some availability but it may not be the time frame you're looking for.

What rhyme or reason do you guys use to choose ya ressies....is it really easy to come out of the park for citywslk ressie then go back into the park? What do you guys do? Schedule hotel dinner earlier? Thanks.

What rhyme or reason do you guys use to choose ya ressies....is it really easy to come out of the park for citywslk ressie then go back into the park? What do you guys do? Schedule hotel dinner earlier? Thanks.
We chose based on the menu and ability to easily get there. Both Toothsome and Big Fire were a short walk outside the turnstiles and we made reservations for 1630 that way we could still go back into the park if we wanted. We had express pass and found that we were able to ride everything we wanted to once and a few things twice before our 1630 reservation. So if you wanted a hotel reservation it would be do able but I would say schedule it for around 1730- that way you miss the park crowd trying to use the transportation back to your hotel or the walk isn't as crowded. With parks closing at 2000 I don't think a hotel reservation would leave you time to get back if you factor in transportation.

I agree w hotel ressies....would have to do about 430/5pm dinner...then mosey around the park if it's open till 10. I do have to check parks hours. Like ohana then mosey around magic kingdom. Anyone else come out the park then back in? If sit down in the park....you guys hit rides before and after. We may pool it till dinner time...sometimes.

I have a related question. Do they still have priority seating if you are staying at a Universal Resort? I remember that you could just walked up and show them your room key and they would get you the next table? Is that still true or should we make reservations? Thanks in Advance!

I have a related question. Do they still have priority seating if you are staying at a Universal Resort? I remember that you could just walked up and show them your room key and they would get you the next table? Is that still true or should we make reservations? Thanks in Advance!

Nope. Hopefully they bring it back by summer if they get capacity up.

For us it's what else to I anticipate doing that day. for our week. We don't do all day in the park, and if we leave the parks then the tendency is to go back to the hotel and get stuck in for the night. My plans are a mix of what I'd like my family to do and what I can get away with without anyone throwing a major fit.

Our plans:

Arrival day - dinner at the hotel. Even if we do go to the parks there's no way we'd be willing to spend more than a couple hours. I know we'll wind up back the hotel by dinner and wanted something guaranteed. We may ditch this for pool nachos.

Day 1- we have a lunch reservation IN the park. This keeps us in the park longer (a goal this trip) and is one of the places we wanted to eat at on our last trip but didn't get to.

Day 2- Evening meal at Citywalk. I really want to see the parks at night, but once my family gets to the hotel that's it for the evening. This means we're already here lets check it out. It also means I don't have to try and get everyone TO the parks for lunch and we can plan a slower paced day. Pre-gaming is all.

Day 3- we're off property, we may end up at the hotel pool for dinner but there are a few off property restaurants we want to try. Dh's brother works for a food chain we don't have here, but has a restaurant in Orlando. We'd like try the food, and that may be what we do this night.

Day 4- Disney day. :rotfl2: on getting ANY kind of dining reservation since we're not on Disney property. I'm honestly shocked I was able to get DHS reservations to even get into the park. I have NO plans for dinner this night. Drive through McDonalds on the way back to the hotel may be what we do. I may throw a bag of chips in the general direction of my children and say have at it.

Day 5 - Dinner in Citywalk, Again I'm basing this on our last trip. This late in the game everyone was tired (we don't do fast-paced well) so I chose a restaurant we all loved last time and allows us to maybe putter around citywalk after dinner if we want to.

Departure day - brunch at Hard Rock, but I may ditch this for breakfast at the hotel. My initial thought was to give us some fuel before hitting the parks one last time, but it was suggested that I give everyone a vote on hang by the pool or hit the parks before we head to the airport, so we may just hang by the pool all day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter