Dining reviews, Dec 28 - Jan 4

marivaid

My mother is a Pluto molester.
I'm a little bored this morning, and craving Mickey rice crispie treats, so I thought I'd keep myself busy and do some dining reviews :)

First of all, the "cast".

Mom (58) : Loves steak, the less cooked the better. Used to eating at "fancy" restaurants in Paris yet her favorite restaurant in the US is TGI Friday's.. go figure.Nothing is too spicy for this woman, she eats red peppers like some of us eat chips.

Me (28) : I have the finesse of a 3 year old when it comes to food.

---------

Dec 28th

Our first ADR of this trip was at Crystal Palace. We had the first seating available, 11.30am. Checked in around 11.15 so we had to wait 15mns outside until they called us. They were turning people away at the door who didn't have reservations.

When we got in, the restaurant was almost completly empty. Our server came right away and took our drink orders. By the time she brought them, we had already seen Eeyore, Tigger and Pooh ! In less than 5mns.
DM missed Pooh because she was already at the buffet. Piglet came a few minutes later.
The buffet had many choices available. I saw prime rib, chicken, mashed potatoes with garlic, broccoli, many type of salads, vegetable frittata, fruit.. among others.
DM loved the frittata and broccoli.
"Pooh's corner", the kid's table, had chicken fingers, mac'n'cheese, and green beans. That's what I had, along with broccoli and grapes. Everything was very good.
DM really liked the "make your own sundae" bar and pecan pie. I wasnt thrilled with the desserts, which were a little too chocolatey for my taste, but everyone else around us seemed to love them.
The characters came back a 2nd time (except Pooh). Our waitress brought us refills before we were even done with the first glass.
Total : about $53, or 2 TS.

This evening at MGM we got lost and ended up at Backlot Express. I'd read some pretty bad reviews about that place, but it was okay.Sort of the same quality as McDonald.
DM had a double cheeseburger with fries and a Coke. I had the chicken fingers and fries with diet Coke. It was good, but nothing I'd go out of my way for.
Total : $19 (We skipped desserts), or 2 CS

Dec 29th

Donald's Breakfastausorus at Animal Kingdom.
This one was a disappointment,though I didn't fully realize it at the time as it was only our 2nd character meal.
Typical breakfast offerings : eggs, bacon, hash browns, cereal, donuts, bagels, some fruit.
The food was good. The characters were very rushed and probably did not spend more than 30 seconds per table.
It MAY be because we had such a late sitting (10.10am when the restaurant closes for breakfast at 10.30). But the mom & little girl at the table next to us had already been there for 20mns and had yet to see any character!
We will not be back to this one unless we bring a friend who insists on going.
Total : $50 with tip, OOP

Evening at Epcot, Cantina de San Angel.
I was pleasantly surprised. I really don't like Tex-Mex kind of food, but this was different. DM had the nachos platter, which was a very big plate of nacho chips covered in cheese, meat, and refried beans on the side.
I had the "plato combinacion" which include a cheese quesadilla, chicken taco, beef burrito (DM ate that), refried beans and salsa. The salsa was too spicy for me but DM liked it a lot. I liked that the meat was not covered in sauce, just enough to make it moist.
The meal also included churros which were very good and crunchy.
DM had a margarita, and considering how fast she slurped it, I'd say it was pretty good.
The only negative thing about this place was that, since it's such a great spot to view Illuminations, all the tables were taken, including by people who didn't eat there at all. We found a spot around a tree, ate there and waited for Illuminations. We had a great view.
Total : $28, or 2 CS
Margarita $6.75 plus tax

Dec 30th

We went to MK, and had lunch at Columbia Harbour House.
DM had the Garden Galley Salad (Mixed greens with chicken, pecans, pineapple and feta cheese). She liked it a lot, said it was very different from the usual chicken salad.
I had the fried chicken & fish combo. We also apple crisp for dessert but only took one bite of it. It was too sweet, and we were full already.
Total : $24 or 2 CS

Dinner at Kona Cafe. For some reason I expected this place to be quiet. I don't know why, but it certainely was not. They asked if any of us had allergies, and the chef came to check that was I ordered was shrimp-free. I had the chicken noodle soup and turkey medallions. DM had the crab cakes and terriyaki steak. She loved the crab cakes, and really liked her steak until we went to Le Cellier. After that, she said that compared to Le Cellier's petit filet, it was just average. The turkey medallions were good, except the sauce was a little too strong for my taste. I really liked the vegetable succotash that came with it. There was a LOT of food on that plate and I couldnt finish.
DM skipped dessert, but I wanted to try the Kiddie Cone; they made one with soy ice cream for me since I'm lactose intolerant. While the soy ice cream had a weird taste, it was still a very fun dessert and I liked the candy around it.
Total : $79 or 2 TS

Dec 31st

ASMO food court (lunch). DM had the salmon salad and a big cookie. I had the chicken penne alfredo (sauce on the side) and chocolate cake. We were allowed juice for our drinks which was a good thing as we were both getting sick of sodas. DM said the salad was very good. It was not just a lot of greens with tiny bits of salmon here & there, but a big piece of grilled salmon set atop of the salad. She really liked it.
I liked the penne alfredo, but the chicken was a little tough.
The chocolate cake was very rich and very good.
Total : $29 or 2 CS

That evening we were too tired to go back to a resort for dinner so we ended up at ASMO food court again. We both had the chicken penne alfredo again. Actually I had the exact same meal I had for lunch.The chicken was better this time. We used TS for our meals this time, and were allowed an extra drink and a snack on top of our meals. It was definitely not a good use of TS credits, however we had 6 left and they would expire tomorrow night.
Total : $38 or 2 TS

January 1st

Lunch at Le Cellier. We had an ADR for 12 and were seated right away.
DM had the salmon and crab timbale, the petit filet (with roasted potatoes instead of mashed) and the creme brulee. She absolutely LOVED everything, especially her steak which was cooked exactly the way she likes it and she said melted in her mouth. Seriously, she inhaled that steak. In less than 5mns it was gone.
I decided to be "daring" at this restaurant and try new foods. I had the mussels without the cheese sauce, the Pan-Seared Beef Tenderloin Tips with Asian noodles and for dessert, even though I knew I couldnt really eat it, the chocolate moose.
The mussels were VERY good. I haven't had mussels in ages. They had little bits of bacon and potatoes around them which just added to the taste. DM is disgusted just by the sight of mussels, fine with me, I didn't want to share anyway.
The beef tenderloin tips dish had little, thin pieces of steak mixed with vegetables and asian noodles. I really liked that. The meat is very cooked, just the way I like it, and the pieces are small enough so that it doesnt really feel like you're eating meat. That's a positive for me, but it may not be for you. I would recommend this dish to people who are not used to eating red meat.
DM loved the creme brulee especially the maple side. I ate the antlers and tongue of my Moose, but not the actual chocolate mousse. First, he was way too cute for me to cut into his face, and second, I don't like chocolate mousse.
We were allowed "speciality" drinks on the DDP. I had the sour apple freeze, which tasted a bit like a Jolly Rancher. Nice, but it really didn't go with the meal at all. DM got the capuccino freeze, but she really was more interested in her Bud Light.
Le Cellier got TWO THUMBS UP from both of us !!!
Total : $103, or 2 TS (beer was extra)

Liberty Tree Tavern. Our last meal on the DDP, and my favorite one all-around. We were not supposed to go here, but because we'd skipped our ADR at Sci-Fi earlier that week, we had to, so we could use our TS.We had a LTT reservation that I decided not to cancel before we left, just in case.
When we got in, they asked where we were from, and then called us "Let's Welcome the V... family from France"!
Pretty cool :)
I loved, loved, loved the salad. I think it had strawberry vinaigrette on it and it was SO good. After that, they brought pieces of flank steak, turkey and pork, and bowls of mashed potatoes and mac'n'cheese. DM ate the meat, which she liked, and I ate some mashed potatoes and mac'n'cheese. We were both way too full from our Le Cellier meal to eat more than a few bites. Though, DM who loves apple cobbler ate both of them.
That didn't matter one bit though, because what was best about this place were the characters. There was Minnie, Goofy, Pluto, Chip & Dale, all dressed up. During our one-hour meal, they all came to our table three times, posed for pics with both of us, signed my book, played with us too. At the next table, there was a little girl probably 3 years old and the characters came back several times to play with her, the kid was in awe. Chip and Dale were hilarious. We had the best time there and will definitely go back next time.
Total : $74 or 2 TS
I HAVE to post a couple pics from LTT.. I took about 50 pics during that meal.

IMG_0821.jpg

IMG_0824.jpg

Earlier that day, I used our remaining CS and snack credits at our new hotel (POFQ)'s food court
We were allowed 3 snack for each CS (had 2 left). So, even though I didnt pay attention to the cost of snacks, I'm guessing them to be an average o $2.50 each, for a total of about $40 (10 snack credits + 2 CS traded for 6 snacks).

All in all, we saved about $100 by using the Dining Plan. We could have gotten more bang for our buck if we had picked expensive CS, always ordered dessert and speciality drinks, and had not wasted those 2 TS at ASMO.
It was a LOT of food, and it's a good thing we only had the DDP for part of our stay.

January 2nd

After five days of dining plan, we need a break !!
Lunch at Sassagoula Floatworks (POFQ). DM didn't listen to me and had the pepperoni pizza. I had... guess what ? Chicken strips of course.
The chicken was exactly the same as it had been at other CS on property. Good. The pizza looked like something that came out of a microwave and wasn't supposed to be in one. You know what I mean.. soggy yet hard at the same time. She said it tasted better than it looked. Still,I will keep on following many DISers' advice and stay away from pizza at WDW.

No dinner tonight. We had snacks in Epcot instead (pretzel,pop corn...). DM went to get them, and I don't know exactly where, but probably in the Italy/America area. The cinnamon sugar pretzel I had was very good,but I've had the same stuff at malls.

January 3rd

Today is DM's birthday ! Our ADR for Chef Mickey's is at 7.50. Urgh.. EARLY! But it wasnt too crowded for the first half-hour or so,which was a plus.
I thought the buffet was not as good at Donald's, but characters there spent more time at our table, came back, and of course there was the Festival of the Twirling Napkins which was really fun, then DM got her turn in the spotlight and received her special birthday cupcake, plus hugs from all the characters.
Food-wise CM was just OK. The french toast was a little stale. There was however a LOT of choice ! Several types of fresh fruit, eggs, potatoes, donuts, bagels, a zillion different kinds of cereals. We will definitely be back to this one.

Dinner at Spoodles.
You may have noticed that I didn't talk much about the servers so far. That's because, everywhere we went, the place was packed. While our servers were efficient and polite at every restaurant, they were also extremely busy and didn't have the time to chat at all.
None of them, that is, until Wayne. Ah, Wayne. I didn't like the food at Spoodles at all. But that's the first place I will book for our next trip. Wayne was just hilarious! He started on us the minute he got to our table and didn't stop. It's hard to explain, and I can't even remember the jokes, but they were non-stop. One of them.. he asked me if I spoke Spanish. I said, heck yeah. Chihuahua. He laughed, then looked at my mom with this "I'm so sorry" expression and asked her "This is your child?". She confirmed. "My condoleances."
While I didn't like mine, DM said it was her favorite of the trip (yep,better than Le Cellier). She loves mediterannean food (she's been to Greece and Sicily too many times to count and had the real stuff). We didn't order entrees, instead we each got 2 appetizers. She chose the mediterannean dips and the lamb kebabs. She loved, loved loved the dips. The presentation was cute too. There were 3 type of dips I believe, plus olives. She also liked her kebabs,but she still can't stop talking about those dips. She also had sangria which looked nice and apparently tasted pretty good too.
I had the 4-cheese flatbread and calamari. There was too much goat cheese in the flatbread,and I couldnt eat more than 2 pieces. The small pieces of calamari were good (there was sauce in the plate but Wayne brought me a dish of marinara sauce and said this will make them taste even better). I couldn't eat the big pieces though, they kind of gave me the creeps. My favorite food of the night was the rosemary bread and dip they bring everyone.
For dessert, I had ordered a Birthday cake, through the boardwalk bakery. It was chocolate-on-chocolate, and tasted very good. We each had a piece, and there was a lot of it left (it was the 6" cake). Wayne offered to box it up for us, but we were leaving the next day.

DM and Wayne
IMG_1176.jpg

January 4th

I've been waiting for months for this. Breakfast at 'Ohana with my favorite character,Stitch !!! Our ADR was at 7.30AM, the first available. We arrived way too early, the restaurant wasnt even open yet. After a while we checked in and were shown to our table. First they brought us coffee and juice - the best juice I've had on property, I don't know what was in it but it was gooood. Then, a basked of pineapple bread. I tried a piece, knowing I wouldnt like it. Didn't. DM however loved it. Then a dish of fruit (yum!). And finally they brought a huge skilled with eggs, bacon, Mickey waffles and potatoes. The food was about the same as it had been everywhere else, except for the pineapple bread and juice.
The character interaction was awesome !!! They came almost immediately, spent time with us, came back several times. I had Stitch ears on, and Stitch made a big deal out of them. Our waitress brought a special card to DM signed by all the characters, and a pink lei. She went and did the parade with the kids and characters. Everywhere I looked, kids and parents seemed to all be having a great time.
We are definitely coming back to this one, and staying at the Poly next time. What a gorgeous place. PLUS - a shop with a ton of Stitch merchandise ! Who could ask for more?

We were surprised by the quality of food in WDW. We've eaten at theme parks before (SeaWorld, US) and it was edible,but there was nowhere near that amount of choice. In WDW, while there was plenty of the usual "bland" food that I like - chicken finger, m'n'c, fries - , there were also many more choices
for adults like DM who enjoy real cuisine.
While we both loved the "real" restaurants like Le Cellier, we agreed that next time we will stick to character meals and Spoodles.
About the DDP - it's a great deal, but I found that we felt forced to stop and eat when we didn't want to.
It also meant a lot more planning and scheduling.

That's it :) Thanks for reading !

great review! thanks for posting it! it was interesting to hear that they let you convert CS credits into snacks.

Thank you for the review of LTT dinner, and I was looking for a CP review that was not for breakfast. Good to know about converting the CS credits as well, since I know me and my DM will not be using all our CS credits in Sep.

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter