Dining reviews from our visit Sept. 16-20

HACAM

Mouseketeer
Just my thoughts on our Dining experience, we ate at Fultons, Kona, Hollywood Brown Derby, and Maya Grill.

Our first night we ate at Fulton's Crab House. We had an 8pm ADR and we were seated at about 8:15pm. Our server was George, he was fabulous. I had the Lobster Narrangon (I hope I spelled that right), DH had grilled chicken breast, Best friend had Beef oscar with a lobster tail, and her DH had the New york strip steak.
The Lobster was just fabulous and our server George helped me with the cracking of the claws. The presentation of this dish was just amazing, and the Australian lobster is the best lobster I have ever eaten, this was my best meal of our whole stay. DH enjoyed his chicken breast, I tried it is was ver tender and tasted very lovely. Our friends were not happy with their selections, they found their steaks tough, and just were not please with the way the food was prepared.
Oh, I should mention that Dh and Best friend both had the Clam chowder as an appetizer, and it was really yummy. I had a caesar salad, as did friends DH, it was good too.

Next stop Kona Cafe... Our server was Malia. We all found that we were really rushed through our meal, and the first thing out of our servers mouth was "ARe you on the DDP?" I really hated that, I wanted to ask her it that was going to indicate how good or bad our service was going to be!!
Anyhow, the appetizers we all order were great, I had the Pot stickers, very good, DH had the clam-lobster bisque, caesar salad for both of our friends. They were all good. For dinner, I had the filet mignon, prepared medium. The steak was good, but in my mashed potatoes found a big black thing, I showed it to our server and she says "Oh my god, what is that?" Needless to say that ruined the rest of my meal, she asked me to spoon our the "black thing" so she could take it back to the kitchen to show the chef...I should have insisted on her taking the whole plate, but I did not. She came back to tell me that the Chef said it was a "purple potatoe"....yah right, it was black, to me that is a rotten potatoe. DH had the Asian pasta, he found it really bland, and was not impressed with it, BF had the Mahi-Mahi, and she loved it, thought it was great, although she had a piece of black (rotten) potatoe in her potatoes as well...ruined her meal too. Her DH had the filet mignon, and had no problems, he enjoyed his.
I will likely never dine here again, I was not impressed with the service or what happen with my meal....really grossed me out! :furious:

Brown Derby and Maya Grill to follow.

Next Dinner, Hollywood Brown Derby.

This meal was by far our best meal of the trip. Our server was Jason and he was just wonderful, funny, charming, great server.

Appetizers we all had were; Cobb Salad for friends, clam chowder for DH, Crab cakes for me, it was all really good, very fresh and the taste of everything was just fantastic.

Entrees: I had the half chicken on rice, as did BF's husband, very yummy!
Dh had filet mignon, it was prepared to perfection, very good. BF had salmon, delicious.

Desserts: Creme Brulee, grapefruit cake, chocolate cake, choc. macademia nut cheesecake. THese were all fantastic...service was great, food was great, the atmosphere was great. We would definitely dine here again.

Maya Grill-Breakfast

I was not impressed with this breakfast, scrambled eggs were soggy, food was cold or luke warm under the warmer lights, it was completely gross. The only thing I liked was the fresh fruit, and the croissants, and pastry type items, but that is not was I typically eat for breakfast. I would not recommend this place for breakfast. OUr server was Fen, and she was nice. But other than that I really can't say too much positive about this. Both my DH and I were not impressed with this breakfast, and would likely not eat here again.

thanks for the reviews! What happened at Kona was so gross and it makes me afraid to eat there (we have ADRs for a week from Saturday). Could the black thing have been an "eye" of a potato? In any case, whatever it was, the server should have apologized and immediately taken the plate away and offered to bring you something else. I think her behavior was unprofessional!

llqool said:
thanks for the reviews! What happened at Kona was so gross and it makes me afraid to eat there (we have ADRs for a week from Saturday). Could the black thing have been an "eye" of a potato? In any case, whatever it was, the server should have apologized and immediately taken the plate away and offered to bring you something else. I think her behavior was unprofessional!

Our server said it was a "purple potato", it was definitely black, and my thoughts are it was a rotten potato. It was definitely gross, and I should have asked her to take the whole plate, not really sure why I did not, but I was completely taken aback. I couldn't believe her reaction to the whole thing. Even the people at the next table were puzzled by her reaction, and why she did not take my plate. Oh well, accidents happen, I just don't think we will be trying that restaurant again any time soon. There are so many restaurants to try on site.

Hopefully you will have a good meal at Kona.

Take care, good luck!

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience at Kona.
We were at Kona on 9/16 for a 6:30 pm ressie, and had a totally opposite experience. All the food was absolutely delicious and our server Ali was the best server/waiter we had during the whole trip. He was very accommodating and was prompt in filling our drinks, bringing more bread & dipping oil, etc. We did not feel rushed at all. I guess a lot of one's experience does depend on your server. Maybe if you give it another try again sometime you would have a different experience.

I'm happy to see a positive review of Fulton's, which is one of my favorites but tends to get bad reviews. We have an ADR there this coming Monday. Thanks for sharing your experience. It seems as though you had plenty of good eats despite your Kona experience. :)

Since Kona is a hawaiian venue and I live in Hawaii what you probably had was a okinawan (sp) sweet potato. They are VERY popular here in the islands and at the luaus. They do get dark when cooked and/or mashed. Also another dish that is purple and a bit of a funky color is poi, or taro. For some who have never been to the islands or tried either it can throw you and lead you to believe that the food is spoiled but in all honesty that is just the actual color of the food, and yes it gets a bit darker when cooked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter