Dining Rotations Will No Longer Be Shown on DCL Key To The World Cards

Convenience for one is an annoyance for another.

I have a smart phone for work. I loathe the thing. When I go on vacation, I want to be as far away from the phone as possible. (If I could get away with chucking it into the ocean, I'd try to go for distance.)

Same... I have 2 of the damned things. One for work, one personal. The main reason I love cruising is because it's the only place I can just put them away for a good 12 hours a day and not worry about anything... they're just forcing ppl to be more dependent on electronic devices.. This trend is going to make cruising so unappealing to me I'll eventually stop sailing with DCL..

You are going to need your phone pretty much all the time. The menus in restaurants and lounges are QR codes you pull up on your phone. The daily schedule is on the app. You can text guest services. You can check your bill and also add gratuities. It’s super convenient.
LOL. Having to carry my phone with me on the ship is anything but super convenient. KTTW card and paper Navigator in a pocket is all I normally carry.

And if DCL discontinue the KTTW card and have everyone using using Magic Bands, then they probably will stop giving out the lanyards, as there will be no use for lanyards with no keys
They stopped giving free magic bands. You have to pay for them now.

I'm sailing solo next month and am not taking my phone to dinner or anywhere else. I am going to check the app at the beginning of the cruise, take notes on paper about the cruise activities I'm interested in, and then lock my phone in the safe. Like some others have mentioned, I'm cruising to get away from it all, and even the sight of my phone is a visceral reminder of "it all". No one is going to refuse to seat me or feed me at dinner because I don't have a phone. I'm going to sleep in on Castaway Cay morning and walk out there when I'm rested and ready, after the virtual queue nonsense is over. And I'll enjoy the cruise every bit as much, probably more, than if I'd stayed glued to my phone the way DCL is encouraging guests to do.

They stopped giving free magic bands. You have to pay for them now.

For the kids club currently on DCL they give the Magic Bands which have to be returned at the end of the cruise or you are charged. This is what other cruise lines lines are doing with the wearable tech for all passengers which has replaced the plastic room cards.

I'm not saying every passenger will get a free Magic Band like they used to at Walt Disney World. What I'm saying is that it is very likely DCL will stop giving out single use plastic KTTW cards and instead switch to Magic Bands for every passenger which will have to be returned at the end of the cruise or you will be charged for them.

I don't buy the description of key cards as "single-use."

They are single use plastic as they are unique for each passenger on each cruise and valid only for the length of the specific cruise. Whether people like it or not, or agree with it or not, getting rid of the single use plastic KTTW card would comply with the Walt Disney Company environmental sustainability policy.

They are single use plastic as they are unique for each passenger on each cruise and valid only for the length of the specific cruise. Whether people like it or not, or agree with it or not, getting rid of the single use plastic KTTW card would comply with the Walt Disney Company environmental sustainability policy.
That's stretching the idea of single-use. On a 12-day cruise, I might use the card more than 300 times. On a three-day, less, but certainly more than once.

By this thinking, my house key is single-use even though I've used it for 17 years. When I sell my house, I won't need it any more. Voila: single-use!

That's stretching the idea of single-use. On a 12-day cruise, I might use the card more than 300 times. On a three-day, less, but certainly more than once.

By this thinking, my house key is single-use even though I've used it for 17 years. When I sell my house, I won't need it any more. Voila: single-use!

The Walt Disney Company have an environmental sustainability policy to reduce the use of single use plastic by the company. How many times you use the KTTW card is irrelevant. To the Walt Disney Company , the KKTW card is single use, as they have to produce a new card for every passenger for every cruise. The Magic Bands they currently use for the kids clubs are reusable, as they are returned to DCL at the end of the cruise and re programmed for new passengers on the next cruise.

OK - so they get rid of the KTTW card. I still have to use something to turn the lights and TV on in the room! So they are going to have to provide something for that purpose and I doubt it's going to be a card that stays there all the time. So that sounds like a single use plastic

OK - so they get rid of the KTTW card. I still have to use something to turn the lights and TV on in the room! So they are going to have to provide something for that purpose and I doubt it's going to be a card that stays there all the time. So that sounds like a single use plastic

Thats not on all the ships, only on The Dream and The Fantasy. If DCL do remove KTTW cards, they will probably change the light switches in dry dock.

What will probally happen is that KTTW cards will be removed first from The Wonder and The Magic. Then as The Dream and The Fantasy go to dry dock, changes will be made.

Also I would doubt that The Wish will have KTTW cards, as these changes can be made as the ship is being built, instead of retro fitting.

I’m curious as to how the lines who have done away with plastic cards deal with port security? We’ve had to show our KTTW card as our “shipboard ID” to be let back onto the dock several times. What do they do - show their app or wearable? Seems like it’d be more complicated than just replacing a card.

I’m curious as to how the lines who have done away with plastic cards deal with port security? We’ve had to show our KTTW card as our “shipboard ID” to be let back onto the dock several times. What do they do - show their app or wearable? Seems like it’d be more complicated than just replacing a card.

The wearable tech / Magic Band gets scanned just the same as the plastic card, so passengers are still scanned on and off the ship. With regards to port security, you would have to show your photo ID.

Yes. A photo ID doesn't show that one is a passenger on a particular ship nor a passenger on the particular sailing of the ship.

look the move towards the removal of the KTTW cards seems to be the way DCL are going. Just like the removal of the paper navigators, all the huffing and puffing on Disboards just shows how resistant to change some people are. You have a choice, embrace the changes and continue with something you enjoy, or dont cruise.

look the move towards the removal of the KTTW cards seems to be the way DCL are going. Just like the removal of the paper navigators, all the huffing and puffing on Disboards just shows how resistant to change some people are. You have a choice, embrace the changes and continue with something you enjoy, or dont cruise.
Weird. I was just working on a quiz for my students regarding logical fallacies. This one is the either/or fallacy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter