Dining Rotations Will No Longer Be Shown on DCL Key To The World Cards

I'm SO GLAD we don't have to show KTTW cards when buying drinks, etc. anymore. It was such a pain to pull them out of the lanyard. I never understood why they needed to scan them and couldn't just process our room number.

I liked having the dining room info on the card, but I carry my phone with me all the time so it doesn't bother me. I love being able to see the navigator and menus for the entire trip on the app, and seeing your bill will be super convenient for budgeting purposes. My phone is my camera, and also a distraction for my toddler when all other options fail. :P

This isn't something DCL did on a whim, or to reduce contact points (Covid), this was probably under study for a long time, they know the direction technology is going and they are just slower on the cruise ships to adopt them, but many other cruise lines have done away with cards as well. The singular point is, they KNOW, through studies or surveys that the percentage of people who keep their smart phones with them on board is significantly high enough for them to determine that eventually phasing out the KTTW cards is not only logical but a huge savings for DCL in the long run. I predict that as the app is developed more (and yes the connectivity on board the ships as well) guests will be able to do things like make purchases, reservations, look up all the current info, contact guest services for help, OPEN stateroom doors (which obviously will take a fleetwide upgrade), chat guest to guest in real time, and lastly it will most likely replace the "ID" needed to board the ship at ports, most likely because the phone can contain the guests photo, ship name, sailing info etc. This is the future, and adapting will take time but it is coming whether many of you like or not.

look the move towards the removal of the KTTW cards seems to be the way DCL are going. Just like the removal of the paper navigators, all the huffing and puffing on Disboards just shows how resistant to change some people are. You have a choice, embrace the changes and continue with something you enjoy, or dont cruise.
I agree with ya BadPink, either roll with the changes as the world moves along or get left behind. My only complaint is that most all recent changes have not "rolled" or been "phased". One day you have paper navigators, then the next day you dont. There is no transition offered here. I think it would be more amiable to people if Disney instead took another approach such as...."We've created a new wonderful ship app, etc, etc. To cut down on unnecessary waste, paper Navigators will no longer be left each night in your stateroom, but they will instead be available in selected areas around the ship for those who would like one.".....6 months later...."Check out our new app enhancements!, etc, etc....For those passengers who prefer a paper Navigator, please stop by guest services". 1 year later....."Due to the success of our onboard app, we will no longer be printing hard copy Navigators, but a PDF will be available for those who request it". I think this approach would be received much better by those who come across as resistant to change. Some folks like to jump right into the cold water, while some like to enter slowly. Both get in the water eventually, doing so by their own method, and both are happy!

How hard is it to put that info on the KTTW card (in addition to the info on the app)? Really??????

Not everyone is enamored of using their phones once onboard.
for a lot of people now they use their phone as their camera now so they have it with them as well. Yes, there are a few people who post on here that they don't want to use their phone on a cruise but they are a minority of people.

OK, so we're a minority, but, still, how difficult would it be to continue to print the info on the KTTW card?
There can be any number of reasons why they want to stop it now for example maybe some people have had security concerns about it when they lose their card and have to get a new one it's possible that someone could use the information on it to stock someone. Plus if their aim is as others have said to get rid of them much like they have a Walt Disney World for the most part. It's the same thing with not putting a navigator in everyone's room every night if you can do it without creating more waste then do it.

I’m curious as to how the lines who have done away with plastic cards deal with port security? We’ve had to show our KTTW card as our “shipboard ID” to be let back onto the dock several times. What do they do - show their app or wearable? Seems like it’d be more complicated than just replacing a card.
I'm sure the KTTW card isn't going away, for that reason. Ship ID is needed at ports of call.

Last edited:
Yes, there are a few people who post on here that they don't want to use their phone on a cruise but they are a minority of people.
How do you think you know who is in the minority on this issue? You haven't taken a statistical survey.

A LOT of people don't want to be on their phones on vacation. That has nothing to do with not being tech savvy or not being in the habit of using the phone for everything in daily life. On the contrary, the fact that we use it for everything in our hectic daily lives is a big reason to get away from it. That, and wanting to have our faces out of our phones for the whole trip, so we really immerse ourselves in the vacation experience.

Not everyone shares the same perspective, but you have no way of knowing who is in the minority on this issue.

Last edited:
How do you think you know who is in the minority on this issue? You haven't taken a statistical survey.

A LOT of people don't want to be on their phones on vacation. That has nothing to do with not being tech savvy or not being in the habit of using the phone for everything in daily life. On the contrary, the fact that we use it for everything in our hectic daily lives is a big reason to get away from it. That, and wanting to have our faces out of our phones for the whole trip, so we really immerse ourselves in the vacation experience.

Not everyone shares the same perspective, but you have no way of knowing who is in the minority on this issue.
How do you know what the majority of people who go on vacation do. As I said a lot of people use their phones as their Camara now and don't have one that they bring with them so they aren't putting their phones away on vacation. Just look around at the number of people who have a phone out taking pictures or videos of everything.

How do you know what the majority of people who go on vacation do. As I said a lot of people use their phones as their Camara now and don't have one that they bring with them so they aren't putting their phones away on vacation. Just look around at the number of people who have a phone out taking pictures or videos of everything.
Yes, and I feel sorry for them, too. 😉

Yes, and I feel sorry for them, too. 😉
Why because they don't have a camera and don't see a reason to buy one when they have one in their pocket all of the time. Time's are changing and not everyone wants to, nerds to or can put their phones away well they are on vacation anymore. It may have been true years ago when it was just a phone but now it's different and cruise lines and Walt Disney World are talking advantage of it.

Why because they don't have a camera and don't see a reason to buy one when they have one in their pocket all of the time. Time's are changing and not everyone wants to, nerds to or can put their phones away well they are on vacation anymore. It may have been true years ago when it was just a phone but now it's different and cruise lines and Walt Disney World are talking advantage of it.
No, because they're on vacation and instead of being in the moment, they snap and film everything -- and for what? To have 5,000 pictures on their phones?

Being controlled by an object is no way to live, let alone vacation.

I didn't say I know what the majority of people do. I said you don't know what most people think. No one does because no formal survey has been taken. I said a lot of people feel the way I do and it's true because a quick read of this thread shows that to be true. My statement was in response to you baselessly saying that most people feel otherwise.

I have seen plenty of people on their phones on vacation, and plenty of people not on their phones on vacation. I've seen more of the latter, actually.

Last edited:
I'm still in camp that if there is no paper or plastic, please provide me with other technology that does not depend on MY work and livelihood device. My job and lifestyle requires me to be 24/7 available via my iPhone. I'm sure I am not in the minority in this situation. Give me marquees---give me a returnable magic band. And if I want to snap some pics or video--that is the only thing I'm using my phone for on vacation. And for those who are attached to their device 24/7 and love it that way--the app is always available. I don't think ppl here are resisting technology as some have stated, I think they are saying that smarter use of technology can provide better ways to preserve a stress free vacation experience with the least amount of everyday intrusion. I don't want to carry a spare phone with my glasses that I sometimes get lose. Replacing $300 vs. $1000 is significant. Remember: No spare equals nightmare. Also, others posters to this thread have made some of these points as well.

No, because they're on vacation and instead of being in the moment, they snap and film everything -- and for what? To have 5,000 pictures on their phones?

Being controlled by an object is no way to live, let alone vacation.
That's your opinion just because you chose not to use a phone on vacation shouldn't matter if other people want too. A lot of people seem to be very judgemental about other people using a phone on vacation.

This is not a happy change. I upgraded my phone last November and was finally successful at downloading the navigator. I am always concerned about being charged for using the internet. My spouse responded to a text that came thru once from our daughter and it cost $20.

That's your opinion just because you chose not to use a phone on vacation shouldn't matter if other people want too. A lot of people seem to be very judgemental about other people using a phone on vacation.
Of course it's my opinion, and I am entitled to it. But I am not demanding the removal of app services; those who want to be tied to a phone are welcome to that. I would just like those of us with a different preference to have an option.

Of course it's my opinion, and I am entitled to it. But I am not demanding the removal of app services; those who want to be tied to a phone are welcome to that. I would just like those of us with a different preference to have an option.
The problem is Disney may not want to give that option anymore as they move forward because less people actually use that option. It's far easier for them to know how many people use the app vs use a paper navagter or printed key to the world cards. Unfortunately that's the way a lot of things are going now. Airlines are trying to phase out paper tickets as much as possible. Back when I first Cruised you had to print out all of the forms for the cruise line contract and have them signed only for someone too take one page out of the documents at check in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter