Dining Rotations Will No Longer Be Shown on DCL Key To The World Cards

One of the first things we do when we get on board [or at least definitely before sail away] is to set the phone up for the cruise. I often doing it while sitting having lunch; everyone in our party does it together and that helps us remember everything to do. I also bring a cheat sheet to help remember what to do. There are a range of settings you'll probably want to adjust, e.g. background app refresh and others. Once all of those are done, then I turn to the cellular data/wifi settings:

For preventing roaming charges: Go into the "cellular data" setting on your phone. Turn OFF "data roaming". Then turn off cellular data itself. These two settings being turned off means your phone will not use cellular data. If you only do this though it could still connect to the 'cellular at sea' network and send/receive voice calls or text messages. To avoid those, you need to be in "Airplane Mode" which turns off the cellular entirely. I don't do Airplane Mode alone, because it is easy accidentally turn it off and then your cellular is back on - which is why I turn off the data roaming and cellular data -- if I accidentally get the phone out of Airplane Mode, the phone still can't use cellular data until I turn that back on, which you can't really accidentally do. Yes, it could receive a call or text, but as soon as I get the first one I will realize i am out of airplane mode and turn it back on. And we have a rule to not answer any voice calls since we know receiving them is $$$ and means we turned airplane mode off.

For preventing any cellular being used turn on Airplane Mode. Then, you can turn back on JUST wi-fi so that you are able to connect to the ship's wi-fi.
Many thanks, we are keeping this as a reference for our trip. Canadian data is brutal.

the navigators are supposed to be on the tvs now as well. but expectimg everyone to use and appp that doesn't work with some phones is rediculous. you can see menus at the front of all the restaurants before you enter if you don't have a phone. however i really dont like the info printed on my key card as we sail with little ones and i really don't want strangers knowing where i will be at a specific time. sincethere is a welcome notation on the room tv,youcould put the info there

One of the first things we do when we get on board [or at least definitely before sail away] is to set the phone up for the cruise. I often doing it while sitting having lunch; everyone in our party does it together and that helps us remember everything to do. I also bring a cheat sheet to help remember what to do. There are a range of settings you'll probably want to adjust, e.g. background app refresh and others.
Hi - would you be willing to share your cheat sheet? While my phone already has most things off, it’s been a long time since our last cruise & I would like to sure I’m not missing anything. Thank you!

Me too, I just prefer it being on a 1 cent piece of paper, not a $1,000 smart phone.
That you also either have to leave at the poolside when you go in the pool or on the Aquaduck. I HATE this trend of having to carry a smartphone with me everywhere on a cruise. Normally my phone resides in the safe unless we are in port. The whole draw of cruising for me is to unplug and do things (Rainforest, pools, slides, gym, etc.) when I feel like it, not scheduling every detail of every day.

Every time I pull up the app at home I have to login in. Does this also apply once on the ship? If so, what do I do about using password over public wifi?

That you also either have to leave at the poolside when you go in the pool or on the Aquaduck. I HATE this trend of having to carry a smartphone with me everywhere on a cruise. Normally my phone resides in the safe unless we are in port. The whole draw of cruising for me is to unplug and do things (Rainforest, pools, slides, gym, etc.) when I feel like it, not scheduling every detail of every day.

I agree about the unplugging. To me, turning off my phone is one of the rituals of knowing my vacation has now started. I don't want an app. I don't want to look at my phone. I won't buy internet minutes or text or do anything like that! My eyes, my hands, my brain all need a vacation from screens screens screens!

Every time I pull up the app at home I have to login in. Does this also apply once on the ship? If so, what do I do about using password over public wifi?

I logged on before getting on the ship, then turned off the cell network and enabled WiFi when I boarded. I didn't have to logon again after that. So, you should be OK.

I agree about the unplugging. To me, turning off my phone is one of the rituals of knowing my vacation has now started. I don't want an app. I don't want to look at my phone. I won't buy internet minutes or text or do anything like that! My eyes, my hands, my brain all need a vacation from screens screens screens!
I've made the decision that I'm going to lock my phone away during the cruise. However inconvenient it my be, I will find alternate ways of doing things that just doesn't require a mobile device. I will ask for paper menus, and if unavailable I'll look at the display menu out front. I will watch the navigator on the tele and make a note of what I want to do, etc. I hope it works out 😳, but either way I know I will have a great time and enjoy a week of being away from my ball and chain...er...a...mobile phone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter