Dining some nights only?

SDFgirl

<font color=teal>Weekend spelunker<br><font color=
We are heading on our second cruise this summer.

Last cruise, we really enjoyed the sit-down restaurants but sometimes felt "tied" to eating at a specific time/place. Particularly if we were relaxed and comfy from the day and didn't feel like getting gussied up for dinner. There were a few nights we would have been perfectly happy grabbing a panini from Flo's or ordering room service.

This summer we want the option of the dining room, but don't want to eat there every night. Is this possible? If so how do we handle? Let the server know? We of course plan on tipping for the entire duration whether we dine in or not.

If we do plan on this would it be best for us to request a table alone (group of 5) so we don't leave people waiting on us?

You are not required to eat at your assigned dining room any evening. You can do room service, Cabanas, quick service, Palo/Remy.

Letting your servers know that you plan to do a lot of dining in other locations ensures that they aren't waiting for you if you don't show. No feeling on requesting a table alone or not, especially if everyone knows not to wait for you. Agreed that it is proper to tip the servers the same, regardless.

We're very much the same way. It's YOUR cruise and there are other options as you list (we've found Cabanas surprisingly nice). Do what you want and enjoy it.

We still tip the servers and we try to let them generally know our plans. That said, if we change our minds (e.g. tell them that we are going to come to dinner and don't or vice versa), we don't sweat it. They are staffed to accommodate us either way!

Just seconding the two above that it is not an issue and it is nice to share that info with the servers. Also mentioning that there are a couple of other choices. The cove and vista cafes both have small bites in the afternoon, if that is all you need. Depending on the time and ship you can find some apps in the bar areas. O’Gills has some to order and a long time ago there would be some free apps at some of the lounges but I haven’t seen them very often lately.

We started doing this a few cruises ago, and it's awesome, we are mostly bored with the MDRs. We had a DCL cruise a while back where we never went to the main dining room. It's like adding 2 hours to your evening, it feels like freedom.

We did this on our last cruise. We would stop by the restaurant and let someone know to let our servers know we wouldn’t be attending that night. We like to eat earlier then the 5:45pm time frame.

We went a few nights that the MDR menu interested us other wise we ate at the Cabanas table service or ate one of places on deck. We found the food quality better and hotter at The Cabanas table service. The down side is that the menu there is the same the whole cruise it doesn’t change.

It’s fine to not eat with your dining seating. It’s polite to let your server know ahead of time if possible so they don’t wait for you. You should still tip the same amount for those meals because the same servers who serve dinner also serve breakfast and lunch, and at the counter service places as well.

How do you tip if you eat in Cabanas?

We just leave a few dollars on the table in Cabanas at night.

It is my understanding that the wait staff in Cabanas at night are not a "tipped position". I think they are "in training".

We may be skipping all the dining rooms on our June cruise if they don't move our seating to main. Late is too late for my kid, we keep close to the same eating schedule when we are traveling. I guess we can just move our tips to the cabanas people then, I didn't realize they weren't tipped.

We do this but we don't go out of our way to let our servers know. If we know we won't be their the next night we of course tell them but if our plans change we don't make a special call to tell them we won't be there. They are used to it.

Cabanas at night was a pleasant surprise for us last cruise. We went out of our way to tell an officer which crew members were doing a great job. It is clear that they are in training which didn't effect our experience at all.

We may be skipping all the dining rooms on our June cruise if they don't move our seating to main. Late is too late for my kid, we keep close to the same eating schedule when we are traveling. I guess we can just move our tips to the cabanas people then, I didn't realize they weren't tipped.

That is a training position and there is no way to "move your tips to them".

If you are eating breakfast and lunch anywhere else on the ship, your MDR assigned servers will be working those meals and if they are not serving you, someone else's will and yours will be serving someone else. So the tips really should remain unless the only meal you eat is dinner at Cabanas.

If you are eating breakfast and lunch anywhere else on the ship, your MDR assigned servers will be working those meals and if they are not serving you, someone else's will and yours will be serving someone else. So the tips really should remain unless the only meal you eat is dinner at Cabanas.

Thanks. We will tip for the days we eat those meals on the ship which will likely only be the sea days. Port days we plan to eat in the towns.

On our cruise last year I went to guest services, they offered an option I had not seen before. You could literally write anyone's name on the form and tip them. Like name, what department, where they are from etc. I thought it interesting. Didn't do it. But did see it. Could be an option for cabanas people. Even better let the restaurant manager know what a great job they did, guest services too. Good work should be recognized in these types of service positions especially. Their days are quite long and they have a lot to be responsible for.

Hi we have a 4 day cruise this March and will likely only eat in the main dining room one night,, would like to see Rapunzel's Royal Table. Will tip the standard amounts for the servers.

Remember that Cabanas is not open for dinner the first and last night of the cruise. And if you don't get moved to main dining prior to the cruise, be sure to go to the location listed in the Navigator for dining changes and ask once you are onboard.

Remember that Cabanas is not open for dinner the first and last night of the cruise. And if you don't get moved to main dining prior to the cruise, be sure to go to the location listed in the Navigator for dining changes and ask once you are onboard.
That's our plan. We hope to get moved but are planning for if we don't and googling safe (we have food allergies) restaurants in each port now.

Please let your servers and table mates know by showing up for the first night if possible. On our last cruise our table mates rarely showed up and it put our servers and ourselves off balance as we didn't know whether to wait or go ahead.

Please let your servers and table mates know by showing up for the first night if possible. On our last cruise our table mates rarely showed up and it put our servers and ourselves off balance as we didn't know whether to wait or go ahead.

Is that an actual thing? waiting for the other group?

If I were dining with friends, of course I'd wait. But if sharing a table with some randoms, I'd be quite frustrated if the servers expected me to wait for them to arrive prior to ordering/eating?

We didn't wait for the other group on our table. I think it maybe depends on the server? Or direction from the head server?

Just state your preferences and if they're good they'll be able to sort it out for you

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter