Dining traditions

Still doing the character dining. That’s fun. I still like to sneak into Tusker House as early as I can. Those characters are very good.

Where do you get strawberry shortcake? Sunshine Seasons?
Yes- it’s so yummy!

On our longer trips the following are all must-haves:

Chip and dip trio and margaritas (I get passion fruit, DH gets avocado) at La Cava
Ohana's
Trader Sam's for Shrunken Zombie Heads for DH and I and dumplings and wings for DD
School bread and a breakfast beer at Norway (because it's vacation and I can drink beer before noon if I want)
Lunch at Crystal Palace - no trip is complete without an Eeyore hug
Grab an afternoon snack at Les Halles and watch the band in GB
Via Napoli on our last night

On shorter 2-3 night trips we at least have school bread and visit La Cava

You always end your trip at MK? That is intersting in itself. I don’t think we have any kind of pattern with parks. I like them all equally. We always hop, and visit at least 2 per day.

We always end at Epcot, it's just the most magical for us. We don't begin with any park in particular.

I've eaten in Mexico going back to when I was little with my parents ... we we always eat there.
O'hana for breakfast.
Lunch at Chef Mickey's on Christmas Day after Mass.

There are other places we "normally" eat at as well, but I've been trying to be better at swapping out restaurants so it isn't always the exact same place every time.

We've had breakfast at Tusker House to celebrate DS's birthday every year so far (and I'm about to book for his fourth birthday).

DS and DH have Mickey bars and I have a Dole Whip Float every time we watch the Festival of Fantasy parade.

Tradition #1: Artist Point. Over the past decade plus, it's been overwhelmingly a superb place to dine, though on a couple of occasions as with every restaurant, the experience wasn't up to par. The last 2+ years have seen a rise back to excellence. Regardless, we always go there for sentimental reasons as WL is where we first met, first kissed, and got married. AP, in fact, was the site of our wedding dinner. It calls to us.
Budding Tradition #2: As many times as we say let's skip it since we've done it so many times, we can't help but go back to Sanaa. The bread service ranks as our top lunch, and it's hard to beat seeing animals as you dine. Those two things, along with a unique wine list, beckon us to return, and we have just given up ignoring the siren call.
Deceased Tradition #3: Roaring Fork used to have the best made-to-order Mickey waffles around. Even if we weren't staying at WL, we would make a point to get over there at least once for breakfast just for the waffles and the oh-so-delicious toppings. However, RF was renovated last spring and when it reopened, those made-to-order waffles and toppings were gone. Oh, you can get waffles, but they're pre-made and thus spongy. Only one topping now, a bananas foster wannabe glue. RIP.

We do HS on arrival day. Our first trip I accidentally put us on the wrong bus, and now it’s tradition.

Also, I’ve been eating at the Biergarten every trip since 1988, and my kids request it every trip too. Sci Fi is a favorite too. My sister and I are doing both on our sister trip. :)

On our longer trips the following are all must-haves:

Chip and dip trio and margaritas (I get passion fruit, DH gets avocado) at La Cava
Ohana's
Trader Sam's for Shrunken Zombie Heads for DH and I and dumplings and wings for DD
School bread and a breakfast beer at Norway (because it's vacation and I can drink beer before noon if I want)
Lunch at Crystal Palace - no trip is complete without an Eeyore hug
Grab an afternoon snack at Les Halles and watch the band in GB
Via Napoli on our last night

On shorter 2-3 night trips we at least have school bread and visit La Cava

As Yogi Berra said: I didn’t think anybody went to La Cava anymore, it’s too crowded”. :)

We try to get in every trip too. I wish I could use a Fast Pass.

We do HS on arrival day. Our first trip I accidentally put us on the wrong bus, and now it’s tradition.

Also, I’ve been eating at the Biergarten every trip since 1988, and my kids request it every trip too. Sci Fi is a favorite too. My sister and I are doing both on our sister trip. :)

The pressure builds to keep up the tradition. Biergarten every trip. Wow. I probably have a 5 Trip steak at Marrakech. Maybe more than that at Sanaa.

Tradition #1: Artist Point. Over the past decade plus, it's been overwhelmingly a superb place to dine, though on a couple of occasions as with every restaurant, the experience wasn't up to par. The last 2+ years have seen a rise back to excellence. Regardless, we always go there for sentimental reasons as WL is where we first met, first kissed, and got married. AP, in fact, was the site of our wedding dinner. It calls to us.
Budding Tradition #2: As many times as we say let's skip it since we've done it so many times, we can't help but go back to Sanaa. The bread service ranks as our top lunch, and it's hard to beat seeing animals as you dine. Those two things, along with a unique wine list, beckon us to return, and we have just given up ignoring the siren call.
Deceased Tradition #3: Roaring Fork used to have the best made-to-order Mickey waffles around. Even if we weren't staying at WL, we would make a point to get over there at least once for breakfast just for the waffles and the oh-so-delicious toppings. However, RF was renovated last spring and when it reopened, those made-to-order waffles and toppings were gone. Oh, you can get waffles, but they're pre-made and thus spongy. Only one topping now, a bananas foster wannabe glue. RIP.

This reminds me another retired tradition. We had been going to Grand Floridian Cafe for Chocolate Crusted Key lime pie for years!!! But a few years back the Grand Floridian took Key Lime Pie off their menu.

The GFC is dead to me.

We always do our last day at Magic Kingdom with dinner at Ohana's. We also eat at Ohana's on our 1st night at MK and at least once every trip we must have breakfast with Stitch.

We always have a fireworks viewing dinner at the California Grill. We have been doing this for 5 trips now. We have never had a bad meal here and have probably had our best (not counting Victoria and Albert's). We always eat at Casey's, Columbia Harbor House, Flame Tree BBQ, and other places but Cali Grill is the only real tradition. Cheers!!!!

Isn't it fun to watch your kids grow with trips to WDW? We've been going since 1987, when they were 7 and 4, and now they're in their mid-30s. We don't have one traditional restaurant, but we've noticed on each trip how where they want to eat changes. In 1987 (and soon afterwards), we did lots of fast food and character meals. When they were in their teens, character meals weren't "cool". Early 20s, wherever they could get wine and beer. Now we've got Grandchildren, so character meals and Fast Food are back!

DH & I always stay the BWI & always fly early in the AM (last time our flight got in so early we actually ate our b'fast at the B'walk Bakery:) So our first lunch of the trip is always the "Dine Around the World Showcase" nosh. We start w/ a glass of champagne at les Vin de France, then something from Les Halles, on to a big pretzel from Germany (& beer for DH), a mango slushi from China then nap time that afternoon. Our last day of vacation always ends with a "Dine Around the World Showcase" Dinner noshing on whatever strikes our fancy, then Illuminations & a last (sad) stroll around the BW.

Our food traditions include:

Dole Whips at MK
Margaritas and Queso (for the girls) at La Cava and Gourmet popcorn cart at Epcot
Last night dinner at Morimoto Asia (replaced Cape May Cafe) at DS
Newest Must Do at some point meal - The Polite Pig at DS
Still favorite over all Must Do at some point meal - Sanaa - AKV Kidani

We are still in the young kids phase, so it is lovely to read about your traditions over the years! I'll have to keep some of these ideas in mind for when they get older. We are still pretty deep into the character meals...

• We usually stay in the MK area and take a very early AM flight. So we will go to MK in the morning on arrival day, and usually have arrival night dinner at 1900 Park Fare.
  • PPO Crystal Palace - we try to get some family pictures on an empty Main Street. It's not *as* empty as it used to be, because of the new rope drop, but still is pretty nice.
  • Late AM brunch at Tusker House - it's a nice break in the day since we are still midday break people. So we will usually head back to the hotel for a nap after this.
  • California Grill dinner - most of the time it's an early dinner with the kids. Our first onsite stay with DD1 when she was 3, this was our arrival night dinner. It was so cool to see MK from the restaurant.
  • Date night - we always hire a babysitter at least 1 night to enjoy an adults' date night. Last time it was dinner at V&A for DH's birthday, but it's usually evening EMH at MK, riding roller coasters together (during the day it's all rider switch all the time) and getting dole whips. One time when I was pregnant with #2, we rode one of the Main St vehicles from Cinderella's castle back to the entrance at park close. I hadn't done that since I was a kid.

My husband and I just recently started going to Disney yearly, so we're still forming some new traditions. Based on the last 2 trips:

-'Ohana for dinner on our first night there (mostly for bread pudding), followed by a spikey pineapple at Tiki Terrace
-School bread/crème puff at the bakery in Norway
-Garden Grill breakfast (mostly so I can have a kid moment with Farmer Mickey)
-We have to eat at least once at Morimoto's in Disney Springs - that's probably our favorite restaurant at the World right now
-Hubs has to have at least 1 bag of caramel corn from Karamel Kuche in Germany

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter