Dinner attire - what does the future hold?

When we cruised on the Magic in 2003 I thought Disney had the perfect setup.

Folks who wanted the traditional cruise experience and wanted to dress up went to the MDR.

Folks who wanted a casual cruise experience and didn't want to dress up went to Topsiders.

If they relax the dress code in the MDR, they are eliminating an option.

I believe the MDR dress code will stay as it is for the foreseeable future. Already many people wear whatever they want, down to t-shirts and flip flops. Hard to imagine a more permissive dress code (bare chest? swimwear?). DCL is reflecting the groupthink of its customers.

My observation is this trend is not just how folks dress, it is a general reflection of a shift from respect for others to a more self-centered attitude, enabled by mixing with strangers. General courtesy seems to have declined over the years at the parks and on the ships, where anonymity permits discourtesy.

Language is helping. Somehow "comfortable" has become synonymous with "informal." I have plenty of very nice outfits that are very comfortable. Why anyone would buy a dressy suit/dress that is uncomfortable is beyond me. But the semantics of "dress comfortably" meaning "dress down" contributes to the change.

It's happening everywhere, the coming of informal dress at church, on airlines, at work, and in the MDRs is a general trend reflective of our increasingly anonymous society.

I don't think the dress code will change much in ten years but I think "casual" clothing just changes from decade to decade. Think about what people wore in the 70's for casual wear, then the 80's came along and clothes got more tailored and form fitting and "preppy" was the norm, (on a side note that was my favorite decade). The 90's then came along with hip hop fashion taking over and everything changed again.

Now what I would love to see is more of a dress code dependent on which MDR you're in so Royal Court more formal, AP more casual etc. Just my $.02

I don't know if it is because I'm British but I always dress for dinner. Even at home weekends I do hair and make up and put on a dress for dinner. to me dressing for dinner is as much part of my evening as dinner itself. I can't imagine me ever not doing it.

AT WDW I would never ever go for dinner straight from the parks always back to the room shower hair and make up.

Disney being more casual wouldn't bother me but it wouldn't change what I do either.

As for trends each generation tends to go against what the previous did so I imagine in 15 years it will be more traditional again.

Having done 3 Mediterranean cruises i have found that the
I don't know if it is because I'm British but I always dress for dinner. Even at home weekends I do hair and make up and put on a dress for dinner. to me dressing for dinner is as much part of my evening as dinner itself. I can't imagine me ever not doing it.

AT WDW I would never ever go for dinner straight from the parks always back to the room shower hair and make up.

Disney being more casual wouldn't bother me but it wouldn't change what I do either.

As for trends each generation tends to go against what the previous did so I imagine in 15 years it will be more traditional again.

Exactly the same for us. If i was going to McDonald's i would wear jeans/shorts but if i am going out to dinner at a nice restaurant i would always dress up.

I have noticed on the European cruises i have been on that a lot of people from Europe do have a different idea about dressing for dinner as you will always see them dressed smartly.

I have no desire at all to wear a suit & tie (let alone a tux) while on vacation. That said, I don't think people should be coming to dinner in bathing suits, tank tops and/or flip-flops, either. i agree there is a big gap between casual and slovenly. Even on casual nights, I think all men should wear some type of collared shirt (even if it's just a polo, or Tommy Bahama style shirt) for dinner. I see nothing wrong the type of outfit below (edit to add: sorry about the size, i don't know how to shrink it) - especially on a Caribbean cruise - as it very tasteful. Although, there's always the faction here who for some reason are appalled by any outfit that includes shorts.

I just came off a cruise on RCCL's Freedom of the Seas. They are supposed to be a little more strict with dress code/policy, including "no shorts". However, each night, there were a lot of shorts, t-shirts, baseball caps (that one surprised me), etc. At this point. the trends are 100% undeniable and as others said, pretty much irreversible. I'm glad DCL had the common sense to recognize the trends and adjust to them by relaxing their policies, and can only see the other lines following suit (pun fully intended) eventually.

pR7070_alt2

Last edited:

This thread makes me wonder about the influences in people's lives when it comes to appearance. My mom LOVES to be comfortable, but she dresses nicely for work. My dad, and his family, tend to be more vain/image conscious and he would often do his clothes shopping in button down and tie when I was a kid. "When you dress nicely, people treat you better," he taught me. Maybe that's not how it should be, but I think it's generally true. I love to dress for dinner. I see both sides: 1. I paid so much for this vacation I should get to do what I want; and 2. I paid so much for this vacation, my vacation deserves me dressing up (this shows my family/traveling companions and the staff of the ship/resort that I value their time/effort/money they spent). I will always fall in the second category, while my husband who always wants to wear jeans is closer to the middle but dresses up more for me.

As for the future, I hope the pendulum will swing back towards more dressy, but I doubt it. I think so much depends on how the next generation is taught to think about appearance, self entitlement, and respect for others. I will try to teach my family what I value about dressing/looking well, but others will teach the opposite. This doesn't guarantee either my kids or theirs will agree with us.

Btw, for the record, I'm early 30s, so I don't know that this is just age/generation based. I really believe it's a culturally learned value, both macro and micro.

Nope. Doesn't bother me. I'm a substance over style type of guy.

I think there is a difference between style and slobbiness. I 100% agree with you as long as you don't look like a slob in public. Yoga pants and t-shirts do not make one look like a slob, unless they are dirty and massively wrinkled. Some folks at my work still wear suits, some shirt/tie, some just button down shirt, some polos. As long as they are kempt, they are all getting the same respect from me. Although to be honest, some of those that wear suits when the occasion doesn't call for it, actually lose a little respect from me for trying to hard and making others feel less important.

I think for cruise casual nights it will be more and more casual but I think formal nights might get more formal. I know lots of mom's who enjoy dressing there little prince and princesses up. Why else is there BBB? I also like that feeling of re living prom and homecoming. Last I checked they still dress up for that and enjoy it.

I think in 10 years, it will look about the same. Some people like to dress up, some don't. We were on the back-to-back Norway cruises this summer and the style was all over the place from tuxes and gowns to baggy sweatpants on formal night. Especially on the second, longer cruise a large majority of people did not dress up at all. I'm glad DCL has a flexible policy. I always pack maxi dresses and sandals for myself (yes, my toenails look nice!) and slacks and polo shirts for DH and DS for every dinner. That's it. It's vacation and we want to be comfortable. I do not think DCL will get any stricter. They will turn people away. I don't want to be forced to wear certain things when I'm on vacation. We were actually considering a trip to Puerto Rico for the holidays but both resorts we were looking at had strict dress codes for dinner. No thanks. It's vacation, we're on a beach. Don't want to wear pants, a dress shirt and a jacket.

This thread makes me wonder about the influences in people's lives when it comes to appearance. My mom LOVES to be comfortable, but she dresses nicely for work. My dad, and his family, tend to be more vain/image conscious and he would often do his clothes shopping in button down and tie when I was a kid. "When you dress nicely, people treat you better," he taught me. Maybe that's not how it should be, but I think it's generally true. I love to dress for dinner. I see both sides: 1. I paid so much for this vacation I should get to do what I want; and 2. I paid so much for this vacation, my vacation deserves me dressing up (this shows my family/traveling companions and the staff of the ship/resort that I value their time/effort/money they spent). I will always fall in the second category, while my husband who always wants to wear jeans is closer to the middle but dresses up more for me.

As for the future, I hope the pendulum will swing back towards more dressy, but I doubt it. I think so much depends on how the next generation is taught to think about appearance, self entitlement, and respect for others. I will try to teach my family what I value about dressing/looking well, but others will teach the opposite. This doesn't guarantee either my kids or theirs will agree with us.

Btw, for the record, I'm early 30s, so I don't know that this is just age/generation based. I really believe it's a culturally learned value, both macro and micro.

I agree, on my last cruise the photographer also commented on the way we were dressed as we had a different long dress for every night. I don't really care what other people wear but people who do dress up stand out a lot more than others.

My Son would prefer to wear jeans and shorts but i have taught him that in the right situations that is ok but if you are going out to dinner then you should make an effort. I do not expect him to wear a full suit but it does not take up a lot of room to pack a decent pair of trousers, shoes and a shirt, he even pops a tie into his suitcase just in case (he is 27).

Can't speak for the guys out there but...

Interesting that people equate super-casual with super-comfortable. I am a female PE teacher and wear either shorts, skort or jogging pants and a polo type shirt and running shoes (tennis shoes) to work everyday yet I find a casual dress/sundress and a pair of sandals (think cute/dress sandals not flip-flops) to be FAR more comfortable and cooler. Makes me feel like I'm on vacation too!
Also, packing simple dresses takes the LEAST amount of room in your suitcase. Roll them up and GO!

One change that I think is needed is to have only 1 formal night on the 7 night cruises. The semi-formal night was a total joke and almost nobody dressed up (but those of us who have a wife who wants to dress up, we have to dress up). I can see people finding it fun to dress up for one night, but most people, especially men, are going to find it to be a nuisance to dress up twice in a week.

Another idea would be to assign rotations based on dress preferences. One rotation can be people who want to dress for formal night. One rotation can be just no jeans or shorts. And one rotation can allow everything. The problem is, not every rotation would necessarily have equal demand.

Another idea would be to assign dress codes based on the dining room rather than the night. More formal attire seems appropriate for Royal Court, but feels ridiculous in Animator's Palate.

One change that I think is needed is to have only 1 formal night on the 7 night cruises. The semi-formal night was a total joke and almost nobody dressed up (but those of us who have a wife who wants to dress up, we have to dress up). I can see people finding it fun to dress up for one night, but most people, especially men, are going to find it to be a nuisance to dress up twice in a week.

Another idea would be to assign rotations based on dress preferences. One rotation can be people who want to dress for formal night. One rotation can be just no jeans or shorts. And one rotation can allow everything. The problem is, not every rotation would necessarily have equal demand.

Another idea would be to assign dress codes based on the dining room rather than the night. More formal attire seems appropriate for Royal Court, but feels ridiculous in Animator's Palate.

I agree that formal attire seems out of place in Animator's Palette and having people's formal night rotate to whenever they are in Royal Court/Palace makes some sense. But there are issues to that as well. What if you're in Royal Court/Palace on pirate night? Also, don't they schedule other activities/events around the idea of a formal night for everyone on the ship? Aren't there such things as cocktail parties/receptions with some of the officers in the lobby?

Can't speak for the guys out there but...

Interesting that people equate super-casual with super-comfortable. I am a female PE teacher and wear either shorts, skort or jogging pants and a polo type shirt and running shoes (tennis shoes) to work everyday yet I find a casual dress/sundress and a pair of sandals (think cute/dress sandals not flip-flops) to be FAR more comfortable and cooler. Makes me feel like I'm on vacation too!
Also, packing simple dresses takes the LEAST amount of room in your suitcase. Roll them up and GO!

I have also wondered much the same, if people who say they are more comfortable are talking about physically or emotionally comfortable. My tux and suits fit so they are physically comfortable to wear. I'm also at ease in wearing a tux (or suit), as in not feeling odd or different.

My lowest level for dining out anywhere is pants and a polo shirt, and I don't feel at ease dressing down from there, so would never wear shorts, and especially not a t-shirt, as I would feel disrespectful to my fellow diners (most of who I admit don't seem to be under any such compulsion).

I would hope to see more people dressed up for formal nights, but I'm not holding my breath.

I had the same idea a few months ago, and the same conclusions.

I have also wondered much the same, if people who say they are more comfortable are talking about physically or emotionally comfortable. My tux and suits fit so they are physically comfortable to wear.

My problem is that I am always hot when wearing a suit. It has nothing to do with how well it fits, it's just too many layers of material. And, since women are often wearing revealing attire at these events, the temperature is never set low enough. Suits are not designed with the Caribbean in mind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter