Dinner last night

piratesmate

<font color=red>Drah-gun! I don't do that tongue t
We celebrated DH's B'day last night with a Chinese dinner. Let me say first, that MsSocks & I will not be opening a Chinese Restaurant any time soon!;)

The adjusted menu (we ran out of time!!) was:
Wontons - 2000 F&W Festival
Dole Whips (well, the Great Pretender anyway)
Kang Boa Chicken - Nine Dragons, Epcot
Stir-Fried Green Beans
Lo Mein
Ambrosia
Crisp Rice Sushi - California Grill, Contemporary

The Disney recipes worked out really well - except that I got side-tracked while cooking the Wontons & they kind of got soggy. :(

The Sushi recipe is interesting . . . I wound up with sooooo much of the Rice Krispie treat stuff that I could have made at least 24 fruit roll-ups instead of the 8 it called for! :eek: Also, rolling them was a little difficult as the roll-ups had shapes in them. DD says that's the only way they come now & the box wasn't marked. But they were good, just the same!

The Kang Boa Chicken was a hit with everyone!

One note for anyone who has thought about making Lo Mein at home. I didn't think I'd like it with regular pasta, but didn't know where to get what they use in Chinese restaurants. I used Linguine & it was really good. No, not the SAME as in a restaurant, but it certainly didn't seem like Italian pasta in Chinese food.

Deb

Me again, Congratulations on your meal!! Great job! Can you tell me where you found a good lo mein recipe? I love the stuff, but when I make my recipe, it's very oily.

Also, the other noodles are Soba noodles, or whole wheat noodles. You can find them at Meyers and Krogers, but they don't have the flavor of linguine. Personal opinion I guess, too Americanized I guess. Our local chinese restaraunt uses linguine as well. I love the stuff.

Thanks in advance!! :)

Hi Robin! I'm sorry, but I didn't copy the info on where I found this - I suspect it was from AllRecipes.com, though. I didn't have the hoisin sauce - just skipped it. Also skipped the honey, as I'm diabetic. I didn't use spaghetti - used linguine, as I mentioned earlier. I also didn't start with the 1/4 oil, as I had already made several other dishes in the wok. It was no stick, so I just sprayed it with the misto. Oh, one last thing. . . I quit making wontons (using the Epcot recipe) before I had used all of the meat/napa cabbage mix. I threw that in too.

Vegetable Lo Mein

1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups fresh sliced mushrooms
1 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup sliced red bell peppers
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups fresh bean sprouts
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
1 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon curry powder
8 ounces spaghetti

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain. Heat oil in a large wok or saute pan. Stir fry mushrooms, carrots, peppers, onion, and garlic until tender. Stir in bean sprouts and green onion; cook one minute. Stir cornstarch into chicken broth, and add to stir fry. Stir in hoison sauce, honey, soy sauce, ginger, cayenne pepper, and curry powder. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
Add cooked spaghetti, and toss. Serve immediately.

The menu sounds great! Hope the dinner was well received.

Do you have the recipe for the Dole Whips? I love them and would love to copy that one at home. Thanks!

As I said, this is the Great Pretender for the Dole Whips. I skipped having a Whip on our trip because I figured the sugar content was through the roof.

Pineapple Icee Whip
a Great Pretender for Dole Whips, from from Dole.com

Prep: 10 min.
Freeze: 3 hrs.
Makes: 8 servings

2 cans (20 oz. each) DOLE Crushed Pineapple
2 Tbl lemon juice
2 Tbl lime juice
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries, mini marshmallow or mini chocolate chips, (optional)
1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped

Drain pineapple; reserve 2 tablespoons juice. Set aside.

Place pineapple, lemon juice, lime juice, sugar & reserved pineapple juice in blender or food processor container. Cover; blend until smooth. Stir in cherries or marshmallow or chips, if desired.

Pour into two 1-quart freezer zipped bags. Store bags flat in freezer. Freeze about 1-1/2 hours or until slushy.

Stir gently pineapple slush into whipped cream until just blended, in large bowl. Return to freezer until completely frozen, about 1 hour. Serve.

254 calories, 17g fat (10g sat.), 61mg cholesterol, 18mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate, 1g protein

oh thanks for posting this! I love them, but the booth was closed when I was there last time. I was so bummed!

Oops! BTW - I forgot to mention that I substituted a package for Equal for the sugar in the recipe & it tasted fine to me. I wasn't worried about the sub because it wasn't getting heated.

d

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter