Dinner recommendations for arrival day

boomtown83

Earning My Ears
I would love to hear your recommendations for dinner for our arrival (non-park) day. I have a 5 year old and a 2 year old, and we'll be doing Storytellers for the character brunch earlier in the day.

I am leaning towards Trader Sam's/Tangaroa Terrance, or GCH Craftsman Bar/Grill, as the menus look appealing to us and they don't seem too upscale for my kiddos (like Napa Rose or Catal).

If we did Trader Sam's I think we'd opt to sit outside - seems like that would be better with little kids? Would this be an improvement in any way over Tangaroa, since the menus are the same?

At GCH Craftsman Bar, I'm a little worried about being seated in the sun - we're going in August so I'm anticipating it'll be hot. Is it fully shaded? And again, how much nicer is it compared to Craftsman Grill?

I'm open to other suggestions as well - thanks!!

We like to do Goofy's dinner on arrival day, but that might be a bit much if you're already doing Storytellers earlier in the day.

I haven't been to Craftsman Bar, but we love Craftsman Grill. Lots of seating there, inside and outside.

Hearthstone Lounge inside Grand Californian has a really nice menu, too.

Ralph Brennan's is usually our go-to on arrival day. Given you're doing a buffet earlier in the day I think Trader Sam's or Tangaroa Terrace are good choices since it's outdoors and the kids might be able to walk around a bit compared to inside seating. Outdoor Trader Sam's will also be in the sun I think and TT might be the same situation. My memory is sketchy but I don't recall many umbrellas in that area for shade. What about Black Tap? Can't make rezzies but you can do walk up.

Trader Sams outside is absolutely BEAUTIFUL. In the evening they have the tiki torches going, live island music playing, it’s really something. Very cozy. You will be pleasantly surprised. One of my favorite spots to sit in all of Disneyland resort. Reminds me of the Polynesian at WDW. The kids salmon bowl is one of my go to meals and I’m an adult.

GCH Craftsman grill also has live music, poolside seating, very nice. I do think the menu is more robust. However , if the menu at tangaroa terrace is interesting to you,I’d go with that and sitting outside trader sams. It’s more pretty.

Seating at Tangaroa Terrace is limited, especially outside, and is first come, first served. If you can get a reservation for Trader Sam’s I’d choose that over TT because you’ll have. If you’re eating early evening before the sun sets, both places have tables in the sun. Trader Sam’s takes walk ups if you can’t get a reservation though the wait may be substantial depending on the time of da.

Craftsman Bar is fully shaded. I love Craftsman Bar! Craftsman Grill is another good option if you want the same food and don’t want to make a reservation, but outdoor tables are in the sun. This is an order at the counter place.

We did dinner at Craftsman Bar for dinner in February and loved it, so much so that we’ve already decided that’s where we’re going for our “first night” dinner on our September trip. There was plenty of shaded/covered seating available.

The only benefit to Craftsman Bar over Grill is if you want alcoholic mixed drinks or draft beer. If not, eat at the Grill. ALTHOUGH people have reported the Grill as being closed off and only GCH guests being allowed to access it at certain points in the evenings *lately.* So, if you are not staying at GCH and want to eat there, probably better to book a reservation at the Bar side.

Hearthstone, as mentioned, is very good and they don't take reservations. It's better than Craftsmman, IMO.

But with 2 young kids, honestly neither Craftsman or Tangaroa are great first night dinner options. I'd recommend something like Naples, Tortilla Joe's, or the Jazz Kitchen. Those are much more interesting dining locations. My kids at those ages would have been quite bored/restless at a place like Craftsman Bar (which is a great adult spot. But watching/listening to people swim and have a great time while you have to sit quietly and behave may be torture for little ones).

Thanks all for this feedback! I went ahead and booked a reservation for GCH Craftsman Bar. I'm hoping the pool won't be too much of a temptation for the kids by dinnertime, as we're staying at the Marriott Courtyard and planning on getting in some pool and waterpark time in before dinner. Looking forward to it!

We did shopping at Downtown Disney and dinner at Ralph Brennan's on our first day there (non-park day). It was delicious and fun and I think your little ones would find food on the menu they like!
Ralph Brennan’s Jazz kitchen has always been our go to arrival dinner. The shrimp and grits and beignets had me sold!

We are going Trader Sams this time, it’s crazy but I can’t be sure if I’ve last been to Trader Sams in 2014 or 2017
Either way, it’s been too long and I’m super excited.

Very much NOT what we planned...

We ended up getting DoorDash at the hotel and eating by the pool.
Not first choice, but it worked for us.
Just be aware that if your kids can't leave the pool, dinner is still a choice!

We are coming in December with a large group and flying out insanely early. We are planning on booking Naples early afternoon so we have a place to sit and get a fun meal with kids so we can relax while we wait for you room to be ready. Hoping this will help with the midday tiredness with kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter