Dinner seating: one party or shared tables?

We made our reservation several weeks ago. Was told seating for dinner will be shared. Can make a request, but it's just that, a request.

We made our reservation several weeks ago. Was told seating for dinner will be shared. Can make a request, but it's just that, a request.
I have sailed 3 times already, with the latest being the week of 10/16 - 10/24. No shared tables. Disney doesn't want to risk someone catching covid from sharing a dinner table. I did notice that the tables were closer on the October sailing than on the august sailings. But all were private.

There was talk about a 3rd seating, but that hasn't happened yet. With capacity increasing for Holiday cruises, there will not be enough tables for every group to have a private table.

Is there a way to find out before night 1 whether we have a private table? We are sailing on a holiday cruise.

There was talk about a 3rd seating, but that hasn't happened yet. With capacity increasing for Holiday cruises, there will not be enough tables for every group to have a private table.
On the Magic all the tables were 4 places when we cruised, they just pushed them together to make larger tables. If that is still the case they should have plenty of tables, the only issue would be spacing.

On the Magic all the tables were 4 places when we cruised, they just pushed them together to make larger tables. If that is still the case they should have plenty of tables, the only issue would be spacing.

There are 2 person tables now also.

I think as capacity increases, you'll see more of the precautions being bent or removed, such as sharing tables. There will be an assumption made that if you're willing to dine in a cruise ship MDR, you're already accepting the risks of being around people indoors.

They'll still require masks when not eating, probably for a long time.

Is there a way to find out before night 1 whether we have a private table? We are sailing on a holiday cruise.

I'm not sure. But, if you call or chat with DCL, you can request a private table. If you booked with a travel agent, then your TA can also put in the request.

I think as capacity increases, you'll see more of the precautions being bent or removed, such as sharing tables. There will be an assumption made that if you're willing to dine in a cruise ship MDR, you're already accepting the risks of being around people indoors.

They'll still require masks when not eating, probably for a long time.

That's one masking rule that they didn't seem to enforce at all when I was on the Dream in September. We wore masks while walking to our table and when leaving the restaurant, but otherwise masks were off for the duration of the meal. I guess they figure that bread service and water counts as starting the meal, so there's really no time to be masked in the restaurant anyway.

If they move back to shared tables, in the past there was no way to find out in advance of the cruise. However, you can find out after you board by going to the location for dining changes.

Was the reservation for this fall? RIght now, due to Covid, they are not mixing different staterooms at tables unless it's by those cruisers' request.

Also keep in mind that DCL phone agents are often misinformed about what actually goes on onboard.

Was the reservation for this fall? RIght now, due to Covid, they are not mixing different staterooms at tables unless it's by those cruisers' request.

Also keep in mind that DCL phone agents are often misinformed about what actually goes on onboard.

FWIW, I’m sailing concierge in December and was told I’d have to request a private table. I thought that was a bit odd bc a) covid and b) I’ve been told in the past concierge always gets a private table….but who knows?! Thought I’d share here in case anyone was assuming tables would still be private…and that may not be the case.

FWIW, I’m sailing concierge in December and was told I’d have to request a private table. I thought that was a bit odd bc a) covid and b) I’ve been told in the past concierge always gets a private table….but who knows?! Thought I’d share here in case anyone was assuming tables would still be private…and that may not be the case.
Yes, concierge cruisers have always gotten their own table by default. There are a lot of misinformed phone CMs out there. I had one tell me that adult cruisers could only tour Nassau as part of an excursion group. That was wrong. I just got back and toured Nassau on my own. I could give other examples of phone CM mistakes. Most of them have never been on a Disney cruise, and the details of the procedures on the cruises are beyond their job description.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter