Dinosaur ride- is it scary for grown ups?

lol always scares me (due to the dinosaurs)

I ride it multiple times in a row and the fear factor is still there. It feels very lifelike even though I know theyre fake.

Very bumpy and jerky. If you sit by a stranger next to you, you guys will be friends after the ride after rubbing and bumping against each other.

I suffer from motion sickness and have no problem with Dinosauer. You are in a jeep like car that is moving. There are no screens like they use at universal and star tours which can cause motion sickness. The car doesn't turn in circles. There is no backwards motion.

....I don't know if it's scary or not...I have not been able to keep my eyes open at the end of the ride yet. :scared1: I hate things that pop out at me. :scared1: I don't even know if that happens, but I think it will, so I close my eyes. Someday!! :sad2:

Scary? Depends on what scares YOU. Loud noises? Fast moving? Going upside down (it doesn't)? Things popping out at you?

Is it scary because it has fake dinosaurs moving around in it? Not to me....maybe if there were actual live dinosaurs...LOL

It is definitely jerky and bumpy and throws you around a bit but its not too bad. There are a few large animatronic dinosaurs but I isn't scary at all. Maybe to kids but if you're an adult you shouldn't be afraid.

Only scary part IMO was wondering if my spine was going to remain intact. Pretty much the roughest ride I've ever been on, anywhere.
OK, that settles it. Had a herniated disc a few years ago, and am so cautious now! Probably not worth it for me to ride Dinosaur.
BTW.... We could not believe how bad the Matterhorn ride at DL was- sooooooo joltingly bumpy and jerky!!!

How bad is the sound level, exactly? I'm a little sensitive when it comes to sound (I always jump at loud sounds in movie theaters, it's so annoying), and I'm a little worried about how loud this ride supposedly is.

It's freakin loud!

I take ear plugs for this one. I'm sensitive to loud noises so this ride is a no go without them.

I had to comment on this... I LOVE this ride. But that being said, I do a mixture of laughing and screaming like a little kid at the most intense part and usually cover my eyes. Its all in good fun though. I am someone who gets anxiety on rides that are too high, too claustrophobic, etc and this is not something to be truly scared or anxious about. I think its really fun!

As for darkness and noise, I have never noticed anything out of the ordinary. Yes it is dark, like most "dark rides." It is slightly loud. And it is very jerky.. like being in a Jeep off-roading... not like something whipping you around.

Hope that helps! This is a must-do for us always.

I had to comment on this... I LOVE this ride. But that being said, I do a mixture of laughing and screaming like a little kid at the most intense part and usually cover my eyes. Its all in good fun though. I am someone who gets anxiety on rides that are too high, too claustrophobic, etc and this is not something to be truly scared or anxious about. I think its really fun!

As for darkness and noise, I have never noticed anything out of the ordinary. Yes it is dark, like most "dark rides." It is slightly loud. And it is very jerky.. like being in a Jeep off-roading... not like something whipping you around.

Hope that helps! This is a must-do for us always.
Welllllll.... I SO appreciate all of your comments on this ride! Getting old(er) kinda sucks, with aches and pains, (and herniated discs!) Just would hate to ruin our trip, hurting from a ride. Funny thing is- I LOVE SPLASH MOUNTAIN! My most favorite ride EVER! (And, I have always been afraid of heights!) But, the big drop makes me soooooo happy! And then, the zippidee dooh dah part! I am so excited about our upcoming trip, and am getting so little done that I should be around here, planning this trip in November/December!
Thank you all!!!!

OK, that settles it. Had a herniated disc a few years ago, and am so cautious now! Probably not worth it for me to ride Dinosaur.
BTW.... We could not believe how bad the Matterhorn ride at DL was- sooooooo joltingly bumpy and jerky!!!

Space Mountain is the same to some people, but that to me is a 'smooth jerky' if that makes any sense.. Sudden changes in direction and stuff, I'm ok with that. Maybe it was where I was in the car(s) when I rode it, but I didnt let my 80 year old mom ride it. She loves things like everest and stuff, Tower of Terror, she loved that stuff, but I was truly afraid for her to ride this one. Maybe I was just in a perfect storm, but dont love it. That being said I probably will check it out with the new set up to see what they did to it..

I love it, but after a cervical fusion and a lumber herniation I can only ride it once a trip, it is very bumpy! DH is terrified of it, I have dragged him on it a couple of times and he has yet to open his eyes and screams when the dinos roar.

I can't really imagine an adult being scared on this ride.

I didn't particularly enjoy it because of the jerkiness of the ride -- and I'm 6'5 - but it's not even a little scary (IMO)

FWIW, my wife can get motion sick on a merry go round...really. She's not a thrill ride person at all. She was scared to ride it and our first 3 or 4 trips, she didn't go. But we finally talked her into it, and now she requests that we ride it when we go to AK. Not saying it won't bother your DH, but it may be worth a try. I think it's a ton of fun, and like I said before, I can't wait for the refurb when they can fix some of the stuff that isn't working.

Thank you! Awesome!!! :-)

Have near been on the Dinosaur ride. Have watched it on YouTube, but can't tell much from the videos. Is it super jerky/bumpy? I suspect at some point, in the dark, a dinosaur comes out and growls. I am clearly an (older) adult, but just don't know what to really expect. Any insights friends?

Not so much scary as ridiculously bumpy & jerky. Dh & I have no desire to ride it again. No enjoyment to it! :(

It doesn't scare me but it definitely overstimulates me. It's just too much going on at once - too many loud noises, flashing lights, jerky movements, and things to see all at once. I love dinosaurs though so I always try to do it every trip!

It's a jerky, bumpy, loud ride. It was fun for my son. Funny enough, I suggested it! I would have enjoyed it more in my teenage years. My DS rode again with DH. He Loved it! I would only ride it again for him or my DD someday. That is the ONLY reason that I'd ride again. It was the jerks and bumps that bothered me...

If you have been on the Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland, it is very similar. The cars shake which adds to the intensity of the ride. In terms of dinosaurs being scary, the only one that scares me is at the very end. I just always tell myself that "I know that it's just a ride, and I'll be fine." That usually gives me enough courage to go on it. I don't like it as much as Indiana Jones, but it's a fun ride to at least do once.

When I went, the lighting bothered me. It was too dark and I couldn't see anything most of the time. The strobe lights don't help either. I might ride this one again when I'm down there just to see if they improved on that though.

I think it pretty scary! Even as an adult. It is jerky but in a fun way. As an "older adult" if you have neck or back issues maybe avoid. Also, if you have a cardiac history this ride might be something to avoid.

DINOSAUR (the official name is all caps) has the best ride photos of all rides. I love finishing and checking out the scared looks of the passengers on the ride photo screens.

Another tip is to watch the monitors after you're off the ride. They show the dinosaur you brought back with you walking through the halls of the Dino Institute. It's pretty humorous.

As for the ride itself, DINOSAUR is probably a below average ride for most guests. I love it but I could totally see how someone else would think it sucks.

In 2010 on our first trip we got a fastpass for DINOSAUR with a 3:35-4:35 return time. When we went to use our fastpass we were the only ones in the pre-show video room. What a waste of a fastpass.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter