Direct Add-On Latency Experience

rootbeerkid

Did I hear a young noise blast through here?
I am on a wait-list (since 7/29) for a 25 point add-on at OKW, Sept use year. It is surprising to me that these points have yet to become available. With DVC resalers reporting increased ROFR exercise by Disney and the new ability Disney has to change use year, I would have thought the points would have been available by now.

Suspiciousness leads me to wonder if there is some advantage to Disney or the agent to wait until the new year begins in September. Two earlier add-ons did not experience this length in delay.

Can you share your experience in Add-On wait time? Is this length in delay typical? Are there financial motivations that might drive a longer delay?

Thanks.

Added on small contracts at BWV a few years ago. Went on both UY waitlists for June and Aug. June came through in about 2 weeks then Aug was also available in a month. We added both...55 June and 25 Aug. Called a year or 2 later in Aug to add on 25 more to Aug and it was available right then.

I have. It had the experience but there is definitely a benefit for not getting the points until Sept 1st. Right now, we are still in the 2018 UY for that month. I’d they let you add on today, you would get 2018 UY points..which Disney would allow you to bank, and then your 2019 UY and beyond. As soon as Sept 1st hits, you’d only get 2019 UY and beyond as that would now be current.

I don’t know if this is the case, because I have added on years ago and it wasn’t an issue. I also know they use this as a selling point to new buyers as a “double” points.

Hope it happens soon..

I am on a wait-list (since 7/29) for a 25 point add-on at OKW, Sept use year. It is surprising to me that these points have yet to become available. With DVC resalers reporting increased ROFR exercise by Disney and the new ability Disney has to change use year, I would have thought the points would have been available by now.

Suspiciousness leads me to wonder if there is some advantage to Disney or the agent to wait until the new year begins in September. Two earlier add-ons did not experience this length in delay.

Can you share your experience in Add-On wait time? Is this length in delay typical? Are there financial motivations that might drive a longer delay?

Thanks.

Not an advantage per se but a necessity as they may not have the points for the current UY and have to wait until the new UY starts and they do have current points. That isn't uncommon for "sold out" resorts. And DVC has done a lot of ROFRing of stripped contracts - ie ones that do not have current points so I'd say it "points" to that. You might expect a call in the first few days of Sept.

Last edited:

Agree with Kat - Disney can't sell you points they do not have. Any September 2018 points they may have had were already used to rent villas to someone paying cash. Disney does not keep current points for the sold out resorts on hand, hoping for a sale. Those points will be worthless if a sale doesn't materialize. Instead, they use the points that they own to generate some cash while they can. That's especially true late in the use year. It's a "bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" situation.

I just bought 75 direct for SSR in July. I called June 29th and was put on a waitlist. I ended up calling the following week 7/6 because I was going to change my purchase to OKW, my guide told me at that call that my points had come in and I could purchase SSR that day! So I did. I was surprised because I thought for sure they would have waited until after Aug 1st which is my UY, happily ended up in the 2018 UY. If you haven’t I would try calling them back. Good Luck!

Thanks for the replies. I guess I don't fully understand the details, limitations, strategies associated with use year changes that Disney now has. I was thinking that any use year could be converted to any other but maybe for financial prudence use years are always converted to "future" use years and Disney can then use the in between use year points at their discretion. Is this correct thinking?

I’m thinking you are correct. I was told when I first called to not expect to purchase before my Aug UY, so I was very surprised when the points came through.

I waited 4 weeks for 50 OKW points this June. I have a Dec use year and requested the same. Last year I waited about 8 weeks for 100 SSR points (wait list started in Aug). Dec use year for that one too. I never expected to wait that long for those resorts but it is what it is I guess.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I don't fully understand the details, limitations, strategies associated with use year changes that Disney now has. I was thinking that any use year could be converted to any other but maybe for financial prudence use years are always converted to "future" use years and Disney can then use the in between use year points at their discretion. Is this correct thinking?

UYs can only be changed for another UY within the same calendar year. So you're waiting on Disney to ROFR a contract that still has 2018 points left, which makes your request a little tougher, as we're more than halfway through 2019 now. I am unaware if Disney can change the UY on banked points.

I would expect points to become available in Sept. I would be surprised if they sold you direct points for a Sept use year this late into Aug.

I can see now that my expectations were out of line and that I should get a call early September indicating points are available. I am thinking that there may be an average optimal time to add on at some point ahead of your use year and it's not one month ahead of it. Thanks everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter