• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Direct Buy, free Disney Trip

salemnews

Mouseketeer
Good morning everyone,
I was wondering if anyone got this offer in the mail? It's a free Disney trip from Direct Buy. I called they said all you had to do was go to there show room and take a tour, you didn't have to buy anything. I need help anyone get this or know of anyone who has gotten this?

Direct Buy is a hard-sell membership club. Think they charge $25,000. Similar to a timeshare "presentation."

This post on a complaint board sounds like the "free" trip you're looking at:

My husband and I attended a DIrectBuy invitation 90 minute seminar in jacksonville, fl promising a 2 night 3 day hotel accommodation in Orlando with $150 good towards disney park ticket. We wasted 3 hrs. Of our Saturday and got the stupid package. It requires you to send $50 reservation deposit + $16 per night processing fee on top of taxes and surcharges for hotels like Days Inn, Ramada inn, Travelodge to select from!!!! There are so many restrictions in your selection of dates that would make it almost impossible to actually be able to use it. I threw the whole thing in trash but decide to write here, hoping someone else doesn't get lured into this scam.

We were given an option of Platinum $5200 or gold $4490 (I just learned from reading online the membership prices are even negotiable and variable!!!) which I gladly declined.

They send these so called invitation to get people into their door and hope that at least there are some poor souls to be sucked by it..... my husband made me promise NEVER to even read this type of mail before shredding it and I agreed.

http://complaintwire.org/complaint/lIcBAAAAAAA/direct-buy

I was a member of DirectBuy/UCC or whatever they call themselves now for 20 years. We saw a lot of changes in our 20 years. In the early 90's we looking into purchasing a franchise and went to the headquarters and met the executives. We are both engineers and didn't think that the long term income at UCC would come close to our corporate income potential. We were right!

We were able to recoup all of our membership fees and come out ahead by thousands of dollars. We purchased our sun porch set for $7K through Direct Buy and it was $10K at our local stores. We were able to purchase wallpaper and custom Waverly bedding really cheaply. All of our nursery furniture and decorations were purchased at UCC very cheaply. Most of this was in the 90's.

But it wasn't without drama. Towards the end, all of the items that came in were broken, scratched or somehow damaged. They always reordered but it was just the hassle of it all. When there were no manufacturers that we were interested in, it was time to let our membership lapse. Oh, and you have to be content with looking at pictures of the stuff in a catalog because they don't have any merchandise on hand.

At the time we left, it was 8% fee to the club for expenses plus the cost of shipping the item to the club. At that point, you need to get the item home. That is up to you. Take it yourself or hire someone to pick it up and bring it to your home. Many items that I priced out were about the same price locally once you pay the fees and shipping.

You can come out ahead with their membership if there is something specific that you are looking to purchase and they carry that supplier. But they only carry high end suppliers, many you might not have heard of previously.

It may work for you, but for most people it won't!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter